PDA

View Full Version : Do people care too much about your hair?

Chamy
December 16th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have noticed that a lot of people around me want to give me their opinion on my hair, how i should wear it and so on. When i wear it in a braid, i get compliments, but people that like it when i wear it in two french braids always asks where my braids are, and the same thing goes for when i wear a bun or two french braids. They always care a little too much.

Anyone else have people like this around them?

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah a few male friends seem to notice any changes I make to my hair. I mean they noticed the self trimmed bangs and about had the big one. I only trimmed a half inch or less off. I get compliments on the new things I do to my hair so with my observers it must be change that shocks them.

Amber_Maiden
December 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Yep.... I get- "when are you going to cut your hair?" a lot, and "You cut your hair? I don't notice any difference" or "You cut your hair? I thought you would have cut more of it off..." :rolleyes:

Henrietta
December 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
"Why do you always wear your hair up" or "You've been wearing your hair up for a year" (my friends from university say so because we know each other for a year and few months)- I've heard it at least 3 times in the past week. But I don't care. I usually say "No. I have not been wearing my hair up for a year. It's been 653 days already." And I leave them with a face saying "who on Earth counts such things?"

longcurlygirl<3
December 16th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Everyone tells me I have beautiful long hair and I can never cut my hair because half of the school would kill me:) I usually tell people to not perm, straighten, dye etc.. because of the damage hehe

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I get comments from male friends like "Keep growing it, don't cut it all off!" LOL. I will trim periodically until I get rid of all the perm damaged part, but am not contemplating a big chop at all.

Of course these particular men are longhairs themselves who spend a lot of time and effort growing their hair and keeping it nice, so when someone else starts growing their hair, they want to jump in and help.

People in the scene here tend to do each others' hair. Salons in this area often aren't equipped with wild dye colors, or aren't comfortable giving ppl Mohawks, etc. I mohawked a girlfriend once, but I made her sober up first. I told her that if she still wanted that mohawk when she was stone cold sober, then I would do it for her. LOL. And we did end up doing it.

jojo
December 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Nobody really gives a stuff about my hair to be honest! I do get comments about "is it all yours?" and they annoying gently tug to see but otherwise nobody's bothered.

spidermom
December 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Hmmmmmmmm, I think I might be invisible.

Amber_Maiden
December 16th, 2011, 01:11 PM

I wish I were invisible!

longhairedleah
December 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM

haha, well, your little motto on the side is "hiding in plain sight"! Maybe that's causing the invisibility?? =)

In terms of people noticing too much with me, it depends. Some months it feels like everyone is paying attention to everything (not just my hair) and other times it feels like I could do anything and no one would notice!

princessp
December 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Yes people sometimes make comments about my hair. Mostly people say nice things about the color, length, style, toys or they just try to give advice about how I should wear it. No one has told me to cut it (yet anyway). I really don't pay too much attention to these comments though because I'm usually ahead of them on what I want to do with my hair next. I have definitely given my share of tutorials on how to use hairsticks though. Some people are really enamored by them. :)

Malibu Barbie
December 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Yes, they do. I love the nice comments here and there. Sometimes, people get a little too excited and can't leave my hair alone. Other's forget this is attached to my head, people pulling it to see if it's "real" gets annoying. I wish people weren't so interested but they are. I have been seriously thinking of cutting it because I'm getting so sick of it. I don't mind wearing it up but I wish I could wear it down in public without someone bugging me.

Copasetic
December 16th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I get random pieces of advice about how I should wear it down more, but that's about it. No one knows how to take care of curly hair, so they don't bother trying to give me advice.

Egana
December 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I get random pieces of advice about how I should wear it down more, but that's about it. No one knows how to take care of curly hair, so they don't bother trying to give me advice.

very true - normally I get - WOW, that's big... *grin*

vanity_acefake
December 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
It's not so much that people care, it's more that a lot of them have opinions about my hair.
Mostly that it is too long already.
Well I say to them "just wait till it hits hip, tailbone, etc!"
:)

Mommyof4
December 16th, 2011, 04:17 PM
My hair isn't long, but most people in the area I live in HATE curly/wavy hair and see it as a sign of not "caring for oneself" or "being lazy" or "not being dressed" type deal. So, I usually get the "it would be soooo pretty straight!" or, "you should cut it, it'd look awesome." Now that I'm doing henna, and hair dye once, everyone keeps asking why in the world I would want dark hair :/ People DO care way too much about others' appearances. It's annoying. I just want to look however I feel like looking, and if they don't like it, they can shush :D Rant over..

ellen732
December 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Sometimes I braid my hair differently or learn a new bun and I wear it to work thinking it looks so good, and no one notices, at all. But, when I go home and show my boyfriend my new do and tell him "can you believe no one at work even noticed?" he'll just tell me that they don't know what looks good (he is such a good egg). If on the rare occurrence I wear my hair down for the first hour or two at work I get "You're wearing your hair down today"; Hmmmm, no kidding Sherlock, what was your first clue? (One day I am going to say that, I swear), but never "it's so long" or "it looks nice", never.

kanaka
December 17th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Yes, they do and i can say a lot. when i cut my hair half of my class asked me why did i cut it but other half of them feels happy that i didnt make my hair short.

everyone asks me to wear ponytail or just leave it freely so that they can touch and play.
The frequent questions "what is your hair care routine?" and "your hair is straight! what do you do? and what should we do to get that hair?"

Sometimes i feel annoying but sometimes i enjoy :D

Ishje
December 17th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I usually wear my hair up in a bun, that makes it difficult for people to know what the length and condition is, some people I know don't even know how long my hair is. (and I enjoy that they do not know that :p)

some closer relatives seem to care, but are also very interested, and some of them have got some tips from me that made their hair noticeably healthier :p
the only person I think that does not agree with me is my MIl, but she does not say anything about it and respects my hair wishes, I appreciate her for that ^^

Rosethorn
December 17th, 2011, 03:09 AM
If I'm wearing something mildly complicated, like a crown braid, people will ask if all of the hair is mine. I have to remind myself that these are the same people who ask me if I'm cold when I'm wearing a sweater or a shawl. What do you even say to that? I usually respond with "not anymore" and try to leave it at that.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Actually, until last year, nobody i knew except for family and close friends knew my hair was naturally curly. No, nobody cares about the length color or thickness, no body has EVRE asked to play with my hair or anything like that. I guess its the curls....i always want to be one of those girls with gorgeous hair down to there (points to TB or WL) thta is silky, blunt cut and shiny that everyone just wants to touch. I guess i just dont have good hair by everyone's standards. Its is kinda depressing sometimes honestly. I tell people i want my hair to look ike Piper's from Charmed and their only response is "your hair's too curly" Oh yeah, that right you probably don't watch the show or know enough about hair to see that her hair is wavy just like mine...great moving on now. Also, most people look at a pic of my hair straightened (yeah its so rare to do i take pictures) and say, wow your hair is long, you should straighten it more often...yeah cause that go tme sooo far years ago.

Lissandria
December 17th, 2011, 03:59 AM
People like my curls! They ask if they're natural and tug them to make them "boing" especially after I say they're natural and you can tell they don't believe me. Aside from that, no-one gives two hoots.

Bene
December 17th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I never let people feel as if they have the right to tell me what to do with my body. It's kind of a vibe that shows in face and posture, I can't think of a better way to describe it. So if they care, I wouldn't know. They don't have the opportunity to share their thoughts on my appearance.

IF somebody is so clueless that they don't pick up on it, and dare to try to give me advice, I smile blankly at them and change the subject so that they don't even notice it's happened.

gretchen_hair
December 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I do not see these comments as *caring too much* about *YOUR* hair.

I see them as compliments and conversation starters. People are simply noticing your do's and are complimenting and making conversation. At least people notice you and your hair and it is positive in nature.

They are not saying anything off handed or derogatory. Would you prefer that people make negative comments? Or pressure you to cut/donate to locks of love? Pressure you to straighten/perm or color your hair?

One day people won't notice your hair or make comments and then you'll miss it.

ETA: I didn't see the comments as being demanding or telling you how to wear your hair, I just see it as making conversation and actually NOTICING.

I have noticed that a lot of people around me want to give me their opinion on my hair, how i should wear it and so on. When i wear it in a braid, i get compliments, but people that like it when i wear it in two french braids always asks where my braids are, and the same thing goes for when i wear a bun or two french braids. They always care a little too much.

Anyone else have people like this around them?

gretchen_hair
December 17th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Geez, people are harsh! In this case, this is very rude. When someone just asks about ones hair, I see it as either being a conversation starter or just taking notice.

Going so far as to tell someone what to do about their hair because theirs isn't *good* enough is horrible! :(

My hair isn't long, but most people in the area I live in HATE curly/wavy hair and see it as a sign of not "caring for oneself" or "being lazy" or "not being dressed" type deal. So, I usually get the "it would be soooo pretty straight!" or, "you should cut it, it'd look awesome." Now that I'm doing henna, and hair dye once, everyone keeps asking why in the world I would want dark hair :/ People DO care way too much about others' appearances. It's annoying. I just want to look however I feel like looking, and if they don't like it, they can shush :D Rant over..

Mayflower
December 17th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I never let people feel as if they have the right to tell me what to do with my body. It's kind of a vibe that shows in face and posture, I can't think of a better way to describe it. So if they care, I wouldn't know. They don't have the opportunity to share their thoughts on my appearance.

IF somebody is so clueless that they don't pick up on it, and dare to try to give me advice, I smile blankly at them and change the subject so that they don't even notice it's happened.

THIS! People never mess with me for the same reason Bene said. I have been told it's because of the way I walk with confidence and my facial expression. When you have a strong vibe, people won't bother trying to insult you or 'give you advice'.
The only thing I hear a lot (from my parents) is that I'm obsessed with my haircolour and that I should go back to natural. They don't like it dark, but they seem to be the only two people feeling that way haha. I just love it so I don't really care.

Mesmerise
December 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM
My friend will kindly tell me when it's time I re-dyed my hair (yeah, cause I can't see my own regrowth apparently :rolleyes:), and occasionally I'll get comments from younger girls that go something like "OMG you've got GRAY HAIR, you're too young to have gray hair!" which rather makes me feel like a freak, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only woman of my age with graying hair!!

But honestly, most people just don't comment on my hair at all, which is how I prefer it!

noelgirl
December 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I get compliments on certain styles (half-ups and braids seem to get the most), but it's not in a "should" kind of way, more like "your hair looks pretty like that." Just a compliment :)

PriscillaCherel
December 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Yes they do, like why don't you colour your hair in that colour...
What? I am growing my dye out.. not to dye it in my own haircolour and get stuck with the same problem...

ludwig20
December 17th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I feel like some of my relatives are too concerned with my thickness and fullness. It seems to be a hot topic at times...

XcaliburGirl
December 17th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I think I got more "advice" when my hair was long and I was happy with it, than now when it's short and I always have a feeling that it is doing something weird.

irishlady
December 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Well, at work the other day, I wore my hair in double dutch plaits, and got complimented, but then they went on to ask how I did it, how long it takes, did I do it myself...and then I went from feeling good to awkward, as if they think I am obsessed with my appearance or something :rolleyes:

gretchen_hair
December 17th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Maybe they were curious because they are interested in growing their hair and wanted to get an idea of how long it would take them to style it like you do?

Unless someone specifically said....*omg, that took 30 mins? are you obsessed*?......then I wouldn't take it as such.

I find that many folks on here have a lot of negative ideas about *what others think of their hair routine* or feel that someone is suggesting that they are obsessed, when no one has said anything of that nature (or rather the poster didn't say they said anything)

People can make these conversations a positive experience, answer honestly and give advice/instructions on the do and go away with a positive instead of a negative feeling. I don't understand how someone asking you how to do the style and how long it took and if you did it yourself, is implying or suggesting or hinting that you are obsessed with your looks or your hair. It seems that it's ones own insecurities that seep in and cause those thoughts.

Well, at work the other day, I wore my hair in double dutch plaits, and got complimented, but then they went on to ask how I did it, how long it takes, did I do it myself...and then I went from feeling good to awkward, as if they think I am obsessed with my appearance or something :rolleyes:

see_turtle
December 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I get mixed results. The vast majority of people say nothing. My mother will comment occasionally along the lines of oh, it's long. My fiance just told me I look like a hippy he would like me to cut it into a bob. My friend Susie commented on my color and asked if it was natural and that most people with undyed hair don't have so many color variations. A different friend of mine thinks I should cut 8" or so donate it ( to Pantene beautiful lengths ) then re grow it and it'll "still be long" in time for my wedding (next October)...but she just donated her own hair.

ArienEllariel
December 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Hmm. I get compliments on certain braided styles but for the most part my hair goes unnoticed. Except when young boys (and sometimes not so young_ are involved... Somehow if you play with/tickle a boy, they immediately go for the hair. Or braid. whatever. I do NOT appreciate my hair being tugged. Sometimes happens at church functions with the middle aged crowd. Come on, you're over 40 now, you should know not to pull a young woman's braid. My hair is not a ceiling fan cord! :rolleyes:

CurlyCap
December 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Guh. Whenever another stranger walks up to me and says, "Oooooh, it's growing back!" I SO tempted to chop it all off again.

Leave me alone, weirdos.

irishlady
December 17th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Maybe they were curious because they are interested in growing their hair and wanted to get an idea of how long it would take them to style it like you do?

Unless someone specifically said....*omg, that took 30 mins? are you obsessed*?......then I wouldn't take it as such.

I find that many folks on here have a lot of negative ideas about *what others think of their hair routine* or feel that someone is suggesting that they are obsessed, when no one has said anything of that nature (or rather the poster didn't say they said anything)

People can make these conversations a positive experience, answer honestly and give advice/instructions on the do and go away with a positive instead of a negative feeling. I don't understand how someone asking you how to do the style and how long it took and if you did it yourself, is implying or suggesting or hinting that you are obsessed with your looks or your hair. It seems that it's ones own insecurities that seep in and cause those thoughts.

I am shy so I feel awkward when people talk about my appearance too much. I am polite to them.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I feel like some of my relatives are too concerned with my thickness and fullness. It seems to be a hot topic at times...

Oh yes, been there had that happen. Whenever my whole Clan (family and such) gets together, i get strange looks if my hair is particulary fluffy that day. It is thick no matter what, but if it is humid, i get the "did you evn brush your hair today?" question often. I mean really people, just cause alot of you have barely wavy, fine hair does not mean i'm wierd for having thick hair! I like feeling special though, espeially when close family says my hair looks beautiful and full. Somehow, even at BSL, my hair manages to grow out then down...i guess people just have to deal with it! lol

dwell_in_safety
December 17th, 2011, 12:04 PM
When my hair was longer than it currently is by a fair margin, I got comments from friends all the time that it was beautiful and that I should never cut it, despite the rampant damage it had from wearing it down in the wind every day, using a plastic brush especially on wet hair, etc. :p I guess I got a lot of unsolicited comments, and I will again, but they were always pretty positive.

BlazingHeart
December 17th, 2011, 02:50 PM
People are so obsessed with my service dog that I sometimes feel like I'd have to walk around topless or with a mohawk or something else relatively outrageous to be noticed myself by the general public.

My roommate and my aide are the only people who have commented on my hair, and they just noted that it was getting long.

girlcat36
December 17th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Amazingly, no one usually comments on my hair; but I'm sure a lot of people are thinking it should be cut into a 'style', especially since I'm in my forties. You know---we are supposed have short hair when we are over forty.
Lately my mother has been up in arms over my hair color, which has gone brassy from home coloring. :rolleyes: She says her hair used to turn that same awful color! She wouldn't dare tell me to cut it though; I think my sister has told her how traumatized I still am over the forced pixie hair cuts until I reached age 15.

jojo
December 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM

probably too gob smacked to say anything!

Viscountess
December 18th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I am constantly in and out of the courthouse and run into quite a few media folks - to the point where we exchange pleasantries every day.

My hair is usually worn up. One day I had to run back in to pick something up and one reporter just finished her live broadcast and said "WOW!! I didn't even recognize you! your hair is GORGEOUS and you should wear it down all the time!"

I was quite flattered, as this was a television person who looks so lovely all the time. Another reporter who was following a story I was involved in asked for my card. I gave it to him and said "make sure you describe me as petite and attractive". I was totally joking of course. Miss Reporter walked by us in the hallway and said "with gorgeous, waist length red HAIR!"

We all had a good laugh, and that made me feel good too,

Chamy
December 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I do not see these comments as *caring too much* about *YOUR* hair.

I see them as compliments and conversation starters. People are simply noticing your do's and are complimenting and making conversation. At least people notice you and your hair and it is positive in nature.

They are not saying anything off handed or derogatory. Would you prefer that people make negative comments? Or pressure you to cut/donate to locks of love? Pressure you to straighten/perm or color your hair?

One day people won't notice your hair or make comments and then you'll miss it.

ETA: I didn't see the comments as being demanding or telling you how to wear your hair, I just see it as making conversation and actually NOTICING.

I think you are just focusing on the negative. I love that people like my hair, and that it gets noticed. The thing i have a problem with is when they get demanding and say that i should wear a certain style because they don't like when i wear two french braids for example. Maybe i wasn't clear in my initial post. I don't see all attention to my hair as negative, not even close, it is just when people want to tell me what style i should wear that i get put off. My hair=My choice.

I am constantly in and out of the courthouse and run into quite a few media folks - to the point where we exchange pleasantries every day.

My hair is usually worn up. One day I had to run back in to pick something up and one reporter just finished her live broadcast and said "WOW!! I didn't even recognize you! your hair is GORGEOUS and you should wear it down all the time!"

I was quite flattered, as this was a television person who looks so lovely all the time. Another reporter who was following a story I was involved in asked for my card. I gave it to him and said "make sure you describe me as petite and attractive". I was totally joking of course. Miss Reporter walked by us in the hallway and said "with gorgeous, waist length red HAIR!"

We all had a good laugh, and that made me feel good too,

That is very cute. Did it get caught on camera? :D

KwaveT
December 25th, 2011, 06:44 PM
About the only person that pays too much attention to my hair is my mother and it is all negative. I get comments like you look better with short hair. I get sick at looking at your curly mess. She is referring to the way that my ends curl up since I let my hair air dry. Also, your hair doesn't even look clean why don't you shampoo it. I CO wash my hair. I want to enjoy my naturally wavy hair for the first time in my life rather than faking straight hair by keeping it short. She does not see it that way.

ludwig20
December 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Oh yes, been there had that happen. Whenever my whole Clan (family and such) gets together, i get strange looks if my hair is particulary fluffy that day. It is thick no matter what, but if it is humid, i get the "did you evn brush your hair today?" question often. I mean really people, just cause alot of you have barely wavy, fine hair does not mean i'm wierd for having thick hair! I like feeling special though, espeially when close family says my hair looks beautiful and full. Somehow, even at BSL, my hair manages to grow out then down...i guess people just have to deal with it! lol

Yes! I'm going for BSL and my hair is still growing out, as in wide! I'm hoping my hair settles down. I'm tired of the triangle look lol.

gman4354
December 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm a guy so I used to have short hair a few years ago. It used to be above my ears, eyebrows, etc. Then I decided I'd grow it out, and now it's down to about my chin on the sides, just past my eyes in the front and about down to my shoulders in the back... At first I got a lot of negative comments because people were just so used to my short hair, after a while though people started getting used to it and I actually get compliments now.

Theorist
December 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Sometimes after I play a show, I get more compliments on my hair than my music! Or at least it feels that way. :p

motu821
December 27th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry, that sounds annoying :p Fortunately no one concerns themselves with my hair!