PDA

View Full Version : I can't stop!!!

cooklaezo13
December 16th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I can't stop touching my hair and combing my hair, especially since joining LHC, I think about my hair all the time :mad:. I know it's bad, but my hair is too short right now to be able to put it up and forget about it. I just needed to vent, and get some tips for dealing with the urge to run my fingers through my hair all the time.

cnd0020
December 16th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Aw, I'm sorry. I've grown out a pixie cut twice in the last 10 years, so I understand what a pain it is.

I survived on bobby pins and headbands until it was long enough to put up. Maybe that will help you?

angiescurls
December 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'm at bra strap and I'm still like that. I don't know if there's any solution to stopping... or I should know it by now. Just try to put your mind to something else, because the preoccupation won't make your hair grow faster. Maybe put those fingers to use and give yourself scalp massages when you have the urge, because that can help your hair grow!

Amber_Maiden
December 16th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Try to limit yourself to brushing it twice a day...

pinchbeck
December 16th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Just try to put your mind to something else, because the preoccupation won't make your hair grow faster. Maybe put those fingers to use and give yourself scalp massages when you have the urge, because that can help your hair grow!I second this. Not sure what to tell you, but will admit I was preoccupied with gaining length too which was the detriment to it because continually was cutting off 4" - 5" at a time. I decided to ignore my hair and stopped taking monthly photo of it's progress. I stopped reading about what supplements to take to make it grow faster and stopped taking those supplements. Finally, it grew and I didn't notice.

RapunzelKat
December 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I well remember that feeling from when my hair was short - I was always fluffing it with my hands. I wonder why it's so hard to leave short hair alone...

Maybe also some sparkly barrettes or little claw clips would help? Just creating some different styles with it might make it easier to leave it be :)

From your pics it looks like it's growing great! :D

oktobergoud
December 16th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I feel you, can't stop touching my hair either! I neeeeeed to twist it and touch it the whole time... can't stop!

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Do a scalp massage or oil it like I did mine when I wanted to touch it.

novemberfoxtrot
December 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I heart you! Last night, I dreamed about doing SD!!

Edit: uh...I meant to say "I hear you" but I guess I "heart" you too! : )

fridgee
December 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I just straightened my hair for the first time in 2 months today and normal because my hair is wurly I don't touch it otherwise it ruins the curls, and it doesn't feel so soft curly anyway. But today I couldn't STOP touching it and running my hands through it and playing with it, its so nice to have it straight.

But just thought about how much damage I could be doing and how old the ends of my hair were and how careful I should be being with them if I still wanted them around in a few more years! That helped me keep my hands off a bit more!

uptosomeone
December 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I'm at bra strap and I'm still like that. I don't know if there's any solution to stopping... or I should know it by now. Just try to put your mind to something else, because the preoccupation won't make your hair grow faster. Maybe put those fingers to use and give yourself scalp massages when you have the urge, because that can help your hair grow!

This is what I do! Limiting myself or trying to tell myself to stop touching only makes me want to touch it some more.

Arctic
December 16th, 2011, 11:39 AM
First of all, I think this is a VERY common phase after one has joined a hair board. It will pass sooner or later, for most people.

I want to give a word of warning too: It is possible for certain individuals with obsessive type of mind to develop a disorder called trichotillomania. It often starts with innocent hair twirling and touching. I know for personal experience this forum has not been good for my trich, and I sometimes have to take longer hiatus from LHC.

Even without having/developing trichotillomania, it can damage your hair and obsessing about anything is not healthy in the long run.

I love mini claw clips and bobby pins at shorter lengths. When my trichotillomania is worse, I put gloves on or tape my fingertips. I make conscious efforts to not to obsess with my hair. I have been member here for many years, and it has become easier all the time, but I do remember how it was in the beginning :)

Henrietta
December 16th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Do not treat my message as dismissing your problem but I would say that it is nothing serious. It will go away. At my LHC beginnings I had similar obsession too. Combing, touching, checking how long it actually is, is it BSL or what, how does my waves look today, touching and combing again. It is simply something new, such concern with hair. When you have a new piece of clothing, or jewellery or anything new you keep looking and thinking about it too, right? It will stop soon, you will get used to the fact that a thought about your hair is always somewhere at the back of your head and that's it. Especially when your hair will become long enough to put it up.
Just do not consider it something weird. Do not thing there is something wrong with you. It is perfectly normal to me. And it will end as you will get used to the fact that hair has become pretty important to you :)

anikadear
December 16th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I had the same problem before I joined LHC. But what I do is keep mine bunned so I don't try to mess with it. I know your hair is short but if there's any way you can kind of pull it back just enough, it'll help. I was a really bad end twirler before LHC, and I mean BAD. I would twirl my ends around my fingers for hours until my fingers got caught and then I'd have to rip my finger out eventually. So I understand where you're at, just remember too much manipulation of your hair can cause damage. That's what gets me, knowing I want another foot of growth this year; pulling, brushing, messing with my hair isn't going to aid that. :)

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 12:15 PM
You could give yourself a manicure. That'll stop you for a few hours! :D

krissykins
December 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
1. Read this article: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=76
2. Put your hair up.
3. Google "lolcats"
4. LOL forever. :p

sbhonda
December 16th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I can relate to this. My hair is just past shoulder length, but I have layers as short as ear length. I try to put it up to stop myself from touching it, but it just falls down and then I have to touch it to put it back up. I never had this problem with longer hair. I think I don't like the way it falls on my shoulders at this length or something. I can't put my hair in front of or behind my shoulders, it just wants to flop around on top of my shoulders and it drives me nuts. The day I can finally put it in a bun again will be a great day.

HairFaerie
December 16th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I do this too. I ENJOY it, especially during a particularly good day when my hair is soft and silky. When my hair is long enough to reach my nose, I will pull it around and smell it after washing it! When my hair was BSL, I loved brushing it, smelling it, running my fingers through it, twirling it, etc.
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I mean, how damaging can it really be?

I say enjoy it! :)

jojo
December 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I was like this for the first few years of being part of the LHC, I touched, fiddled and tried everything going LOL! nowadays I am not so hair obsessed, its normal so don't beat your self up.

Maybe some small jaw clips would get your hair up, I don't know where you live but Primark does some lovely flowery ones!

cooklaezo13
December 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Thank you all for the support, suggestions, and kind words :)

tori93
December 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I am exactly the same, it's really annoying. I can't stop thinking about it getting longer and looking at it and pulling it down straight. I'm sure it is not doing my hair any good to keep touching it especially around the face.

Egana
December 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Does it really do that much damage to touch your own hair - I mean, as long as your are being gentle, enjoying you own hair sounds like a good thing, imo...

novemberfoxtrot
December 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
When my hair was your length, I used to put it up in two cute pig tails. Or I would do a french twist using a lot of clippies. Those are the things I miss about my short hair....

ratgirldjh
December 16th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I was like this for the first few years of being part of the LHC, I touched, fiddled and tried everything going LOL! nowadays I am not so hair obsessed, its normal so don't beat your self up.

I totally agree! Also (sadly) it helps if I stay away from this site... :D

KwaveT
December 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I only touch the rest of my hair only periodically throughout the day but it is still way more than I use to. The bangs that I am growing out are just barely past the tip of the nose now. I am constantly slapping that piece of hair out of my eyes all day long. I am probably doing it what seems like over a 100 times a day. I am even worse on wash day since oil just adds to the weight of hair making it fall even easier. I am intent on staying away from bobby pins since if you aren't extremely careful with them you end up ripping hairs out of your head. I wear glasses so if I can just get the hair long enough to lay on outside of the leg of my glasses it would quite dropping on top of my eyeball. I don't twirl or pull on my hair. I am either slapping the bang piece away or gently running my hands through the rest of my hair. I do the latter probaby about ten times a day. I am definitely obsessed in thought about my hair though. I feel every subtle movement of that bang piece to point that I about predict when it is going to recollapse. I want it on the side of my face not in my eyeball. I am thinking about nothing but hair at times. If men aren't suppose to obsess over hair then somebody forgot to tell me. I am extremely bad.

XcaliburGirl
December 17th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I did at first, but now I don't as much.

I DO think about my hair much to often on account of being on LHC. Though, I must admit, it may also be that my hair is shorter and I have to actually pay attention to what it is doing on a daily basis.

Aveyronnaise
December 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I just want to say, I feel you ...I am so glad that I was not on this site when I was much below APL, I would have gone BONKERS !
I had a crazy toddler 24/7 during that time so I just didn't think about it.

cooklaezo13
December 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Does it really do that much damage to touch your own hair - I mean, as long as your are being gentle, enjoying you own hair sounds like a good thing, imo...

:) thanks, I don't twist it or pull or do anything crazy, so running my fingers through it and some gentle combing can't be bad. I guess I will just relax and enjoy the hair, even when it annoys me by being in my face, because it is now actually long enough to fall in my face.

intothemist1999
December 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I can't stop touching my hair and combing my hair, especially since joining LHC, I think about my hair all the time :mad:. I know it's bad, but my hair is too short right now to be able to put it up and forget about it. I just needed to vent, and get some tips for dealing with the urge to run my fingers through my hair all the time.

Don't worry, after about 2000 posts, you'll be well over it ;)