PDA

View Full Version : the splits are returning!

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 07:43 AM
:confused: So two weeks ago I cut three inches off using high quality microserrated stylist shears. I trimmed ends, layers, everything. And now, the splits are coming right back again! This is so discouraging.

Amazinggrace
December 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Maybe it is the microserated shears. I use straight shears.

I'm sorry, hopefully you can find out what is causing it soon.

ktani
December 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM
:confused: So two weeks ago I cut three inches off using high quality microserrated stylist shears. I trimmed ends, layers, everything. And now, the splits are coming right back again! This is so discouraging.

Split ends are primarily caused by dryness. You may just need to revamp your hair care routine to adjust it to this time of year.

You can clarify your hair from build-up if you have been overdoing products, buy a humidifyer to help with dry air and you may want to check this out, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225.

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 08:20 AM
hmmm. mineral oil as a finishing oil, it's worth a try.

ktani
December 16th, 2011, 08:26 AM
hmmm. mineral oil as a finishing oil, it's worth a try.

Two key points if you try it. White baby oil would be the cheapest version.
1. Use drops - the smallest amount you can - to spread it evenly through hair.

2. Use it on damp hair - you will be adding moisture - water - and helping to keep it there.

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Thank you, I will do that! :)

ktani
December 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Thank you, I will do that! :)

You are very welcome.

nobeltonya
December 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Maybe you have to wear it up more.. mine isn't splitting nearly as much now that I wear it up most of the time.. just be careful when you do wear it down.

Amber_Maiden
December 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'd do what ktani says- she's one smart cookie. :)

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I noticed my hair is shedding the splits when I comb I wear it up and the oil has helped the splits.

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Okay, I have purchased the mineral oil product. Baby oil smells annoying to me, so I got Luster's Pink Hair Lotion which is mostly mineral oil with a few other things like Panthenol added. I dampened my hair and worked in a few drops of the product, mostly on the ends, but also on the canopy.

ktani
December 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Okay, I have purchased the mineral oil product. Baby oil smells annoying to me, so I got Luster's Pink Hair Lotion which is mostly mineral oil with a few other things like Panthenol added. I dampened my hair and worked in a few drops of the product, mostly on the ends, but also on the canopy.

It is going to be greasier than the baby oil - the petrolatum - and can build-up - the beeswax and panthenol, but the small amount you are using should not make it too much of a problem.
http://www.sallybeauty.com/pink-oil-lotion/LUSTER6,default,pd.html
"Deionized Water - Aqua, Mineral Oil - Paraffinum Liquidum, Lanolin , Beeswax - Cera Alba, Petrolatum, Sodium Borate, Panthenol - Provitamin B5, Tocopherol - Vitamin E, Sorbitan Oleate, Ethylhexyl Dimethyl, PABA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea , Fragrance - Parfum , Hexyl Cinnamal , Benzyl Salicylate, Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Linalool, Geraniol, Citronellol, Benzyl Alcohol, Red 33 - CI 17200"

Amarante
December 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Is panthenol considered a silicone?

Gothchiq
December 16th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Amarante, panthenol is one of the B vitamins. No cones. :) I use a gentle shampoo every 3 days or so, which will keep me from getting excessive buildup. I just gotta get these splits under control while I grow, trim, grow, trim to get rid of all the hair that was permed. After that it should be possible to grow it longer than BSL; for now it seems unlikely.

ktani
December 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I think that you will be pleasantly surprised, even with the Luster's Pink. Your shampoo should not have too much difficulty with it and if it does, you can try a white baby oil - there are several brands - that may have a better fragrance than the one you smelled.

Amarante
December 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Amarante, panthenol is one of the B vitamins. No cones. :) I use a gentle shampoo every 3 days or so, which will keep me from getting excessive buildup. I just gotta get these splits under control while I grow, trim, grow, trim to get rid of all the hair that was permed. After that it should be possible to grow it longer than BSL; for now it seems unlikely.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks for answering! I had been shying away from it because I thought it was a type of silicone this whole time... :brains:

clairenewcastle
December 16th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I used to get split ends all the time. However a combination of catnip rinses and protecting my hair from the weather has meant that I don't get them any more.

MoreWhenNuh
December 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Glad I saw this thread. I'm trying the baby oil on my ends tonight!

ktani
December 17th, 2011, 07:24 AM
You should be able to find pure USP mineral oil, unfragranced, in any pharmacy.