PDA

View Full Version : I tried scrunching my hair for the first time in forever (upside-down pic)

hototogisu
December 16th, 2011, 04:27 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9186&pictureid=121337

Please forgive the upside down photo - I don't know why it's doing that and I can't be bothered opening Photoshop!

I tried scrunching my hair for the first time in forever. I used a hazelnut sized amount of Redken Soft Spin gel and scrunched it into dripping, post-shower wet hair. I then blotted the drips out with a t-shirt, also with my head flipped upside down in a scrunching motion. I allowed it to dry, 'plopping' it in a knit hat for a bike ride (this is post 'hat plop).

I'm really happy with the results and had nice, clumpy waves, even the next day, but I don't think it's a styling method I'll use often. I prefer to wash my hair at night so it's quicker to get ready in the morning, and this took forever to dry as I didn't get all the water out with a towel. Plus my wave pattern just isn't that strong - a comb is enough to remove it, so I'd rather stick with bunwaves and minimal product.

holothuroidea
December 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Those waves are lovely but it does seem like an awful lot of work (and product to buy). It would be nice for occasions, though!

Scrunching never works for me and I've tried a lot of different products, my hair is always wavier with nothing in it and air dried provided there is some humidity in the air. This winter I have let my hair dry in a very steamy bathroom (I'll read a book or something, it takes about an hour), and that's about as wavy as it gets.

anikadear
December 16th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I agree, I like the waves also! I don't do scrunching either because my hair is already very curly and just combing through it is enough styling for it. My hair also doesn't like gel so I stay far from it lol.

Annibelle
December 16th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I don't scrunch because it always leaves my hair stringy-looking... pretty waves, yes... but stringy. Maybe I should try to keep my hair from separating when it's drying... hmmm... I don't know. :o But once I comb the waves, they're just weird, unattractive lumps. :D

hototogisu
December 16th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Annibelle - have you tried plopping? I used to lurk on the Naturally Curly forums and found a lot of ways to encourage my waves, and I find plopping + a gel leads to better clumps. It is work, though, and it takes longer to dry than just combing out towel dried hair.

One big pay off from this experiment was the discovery of the hat plop. It's getting really cold in Amstrdam, so I again 'plopped' my dry, loose, bun waved hair into a winter hat, went off on errands for a few hours, and when I took it off I had great volume on my roots.

blondie9912
December 17th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Those waves are lovely but it does seem like an awful lot of work (and product to buy). It would be nice for occasions, though!

Scrunching never works for me and I've tried a lot of different products, my hair is always wavier with nothing in it and air dried provided there is some humidity in the air. This winter I have let my hair dry in a very steamy bathroom (I'll read a book or something, it takes about an hour), and that's about as wavy as it gets.

I disagree about the process being labour intensive and requiring lots of product. Seems to me like she only used one product

holothuroidea
December 17th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I disagree about the process being labour intensive and requiring lots of product. Seems to me like she only used one product

lol! One is too many for me. I'm sad enough that I have to use shampoo and conditioner.

Hollyfire3
December 17th, 2011, 09:31 AM

1hr to dry your hair, I'm jelous! My hair takes 5-6 hrs from show to dry, with just a bit of mousse in it, can go to bed wiht it wet and it is damp in the morning! Oh, and the scrunching looks beautiful on the person who created this thread, i love it! I wish my own hair didnt turn into a poofy mess whenever i tried to scruch it...

holothuroidea
December 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
1hr to dry your hair, I'm jelous! My hair takes 5-6 hrs from show to dry, with just a bit of mousse in it, can go to bed wiht it wet and it is damp in the morning! Oh, and the scrunching looks beautiful on the person who created this thread, i love it! I wish my own hair didnt turn into a poofy mess whenever i tried to scruch it...

Wow! That's a long time! My hair usually dries in 15 minutes. As in, I shower before bed time and by the time I'm done brushing my teeth and washing the dishes my hair is dry for bed.

I only do the hour long steam-dry in the bathroom when I'm feeling super fancy.