PDA

View Full Version : Can I leave an essential oil on my scalp?

shikara
December 15th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I wanted to massage the back of my head with one or two drops of essential oil, maybe lavendar, yliang yliang, or maybe carrot. I dont want to wash my hair until tomorrow night though. Will it harm my scalp to leave it on?

cheetahfast
December 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I would try to dilute it with something to be safe.

Only one or two drops is a very small amount so it seems it should be harmless...but I think diluting is best. I use tea tree oil on my scalp and always dilute (with castor and EVOO).

WaterMusic
December 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM
There are very few EOs that are safe to use undiluted, it isn't a question of quantity but rather how the concentration will affect your skin.

That amount will be fine to leave on overnight, but you should not apply it straight. Dilute it with a carrier oil, whatever you have hanging around.

cheetahfast
December 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM
There are very few EOs that are safe to use undiluted, it isn't a question of quantity but rather how the concentration will affect your skin.

That amount will be fine to leave on overnight, but you should not apply it straight. Dilute it with a carrier oil, whatever you have hanging around.

Correct, I worded my response poorly. I don't ever use EOs undiluted. Too risky.

Hairizona
December 16th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I found out that some eesential oils are phytoestrogens, such as lavender and rosemary. As long as you don't have any menstrual issues such as heavy bleeding, PMS, etc., probably OK. Anything you put on the scalp is absorbed quickly into the body, and in the case of phytoestrogens may cause issues for females who are perimenopausal, and in some cases, postmenopausal. This is not a general rule...just be aware...