PDA

View Full Version : Faster growth with silica?

LadyJennifer
December 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I Have read a few posts of members saying they get faster growth taking silica. Is it that way for everyone? What is your experience? How much do you take and what kind? What are your results?

LaceyNg
December 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
hi!

i started taking silica a couple months ago when i stopped taking biotin. i stopped biotin b/c after a year and 1/2 it was breaking me out, but i still wanted to take something for hair growth besides my mulitvitamin and omega 3 supplements.

so far i'd say its working just as well as the biotin did, minus the breakouts. I take 500mg every night. its hard to tell exactly how much its helping my hair, but i know that its for sure elping my nails. before biotin my nails were super weak and brittle, and grew really slowly. biotin helped immensely, and after switching to silica my nails havent went back to their weaken state (*knock on wood!*).
i'm sure you'll get other replies though-- i've heard of others who've taken silica and swore their gair grew faster. :)

LadyJennifer
December 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
hi!

i started taking silica a couple months ago when i stopped taking biotin. i stopped biotin b/c after a year and 1/2 it was breaking me out, but i still wanted to take something for hair growth besides my mulitvitamin and omega 3 supplements.

so far i'd say its working just as well as the biotin did, minus the breakouts. I take 500mg every night. its hard to tell exactly how much its helping my hair, but i know that its for sure elping my nails. before biotin my nails were super weak and brittle, and grew really slowly. biotin helped immensely, and after switching to silica my nails havent went back to their weaken state (*knock on wood!*).
i'm sure you'll get other replies though-- i've heard of others who've taken silica and swore their gair grew faster. :)

Thanks!
What kind did you take? I've seen some from horsetail, I don't know what other kinds there are.

wurleyhead
December 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
My hair is thin & I am wondering if anyone has had new hair growth after taking silica?

Amber_Maiden
December 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I took silica for 6 months, nothing happened with my hair...

wurleyhead
December 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Did you try the biotin & if so, could you tell any difference in the thickness?

Amber_Maiden
December 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Did you try the biotin & if so, could you tell any difference in the thickness?

I'm guessing you are asking me...

Yes, I tried biotin. It didn't work for me at all either. I think that after a certain amount of minerals our body just doesn't absorb the rest. I also think that there are a lot of "do this and your hair will grow faster" things that people hope will work, but don't necessarily do work.

serin blackwood
December 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I give my dog Diatamaceous earth, which is basically silica, every day. It is a natural internal parasite preventer, with a bunch of other benefits including shiny coat.

Well, the dog's coat is incredibly shiny, but short, as she is a MinPin! I took the DE myself for a month as a supplement, last year and I recently started again to see if it would help with hair growth.

Here is some great info on benefits for both human and animals. It's interesting reading.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_human_use.html

LadyJennifer
December 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Serin, I actually have de. I kind of forgot it was mostly silica. I took it consistently last year and had great growth. I'll have to start taking it again. I just don't like the texture much....

I did some reading online today about taking a silica supplement and it seems that it's not beneficial at all to take too much; in fact it can apparently be harmful. I'll just stick with taking some de and not supplement otherwise.

LadyJennifer
December 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I took silica for 6 months, nothing happened with my hair...

Thanks for sharing! I figured it probably wasn't a miracle for everyone (though I was hoping!).

kristib123
December 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I've been taking it off and on for years. I originally took it for my nails and they always would grow so long and strong that people thought they were fake! The moment I would stop taking it all my nails would break off.

As far as hair growth? Never paid any attention to that but now that I am growing my hair out I will be paying attention. I am also taking biotin (5,000 mcg) and MSM (2,000 mg) and have grown over an inch in less than a month :cheese: I have no comparison to what my normal hair growth rate is but I am now writing it down on a calendar and will be watching.

I take Silica (horsetail) 500 mg pills x2 per day. I buy it at the vitamin store at our mall though they do have a website- vitaminworld.com

LaceyNg
December 18th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks!
What kind did you take? I've seen some from horsetail, I don't know what other kinds there are.

sorry, just now saw this! yes, i take horsetail. i'm not sure what other kinds there are either. i've been thinking about switching to DE after i run out of this bottle though.

vagabundo_verde
January 3rd, 2012, 01:18 AM
It might be a bit late for this thread, but would you recommend taking silica supplements or rather getting the nutrition from eating foods rich in silica such as cucumbers, etc. I was wondering if anyone had better effects from the first or the latter?

LeonineMane
September 2nd, 2015, 01:37 PM
Reviving this thread.
Has anyone tried bamboo silica? It's supposed to be far superior than the horsetail variety:

"Bamboo extract is the richest known source of natural silica containing over 70% organic silica. This is more than 10 times the level as found in the widely used Horsetail plant (Equisetum) that contains about 5 - 7% silica."

I've bought some to try out since the last time I tried silica (no faster growth) was with the horsetail kind *fingers crossed*