PDA

View Full Version : cross your fingers ladies.... I am trying headband curls

gboneske
December 15th, 2011, 10:06 AM
I have washed, conditioned, and let it air dry a little then put in my leave in and curled it up. I have a Christmas party tonight - and part of me is wondering WHY I chose today to try something new....

aisha.christine
December 15th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Good luck! I'm sure they will turn out magnificent :D
I'm doing headband curls as well for my concert this evening.

gboneske
December 15th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Post photos before you go - I am going to do the same and see if it falls flat on me during the night.

Oksana
December 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Wow you are brave! It took me a few goes before i perfected my technique and didn't get very tight frizzy curls.

Just in case you haven't seen this thread, here is how i do it now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83476

aisha.christine
December 15th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Will do. :)
You could put a little bit of aloe vera gel on them. Maybe that would give them a little extra hold? They held pretty well for me when I first tried it out, but I have wavy hair, so that might have contributed. Either way, I'm sure you will look gorgeous. :D

Aveyronnaise
December 15th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I have some 'brewing' on my hair right now! I guess we'll see what happens in the morning ...

mktmgt
December 15th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I've been dying to try this! I hope you guys will post pictures of your results! I would love to see them! :p

gboneske
December 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Wow you are brave! It took me a few goes before i perfected my technique and didn't get very tight frizzy curls.

Just in case you haven't seen this thread, here is how i do it now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83476

Thank you -- I did that myself. Why start around on the other side? my hair is shoulder length, so I didn't have much and it is naturally very curly when short. I am not hoping for a miracle just something different.

kristib123
December 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I will be anxious for pics since I want to try it soon too :D

Good luck!

gboneske
December 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Well, unwrapped my hair and it is a little wavy - but NOTHING like the girls in the video. Maybe I will need to try it and leave it in longer next time.

wurleyhead
December 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I am sure it looks pretty. Have fun tonight :)

candycandace
December 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'd also like to see pictures :) Mine turned out okay when I tryed this. I don't think they were wrapped tightly enough.

cubiczoeconia
December 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
The amount of hair you wrap each time matters more for tightness of curl than how tightly you acually have the hair secured in the band. Practice makes perfect, though... I'm sure it still looks gorgeous!

candycandace
December 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM
The amount of hair you wrap each time matters more for tightness of curl than how tightly you acually have the hair secured in the band. Practice makes perfect, though... I'm sure it still looks gorgeous!
Oh I getcha :p. I feel a little embarrassed now ha. I think it would help though if I saw how people with short hair like me had their curls turn out, because I'm not sure if mine look right...

aisha.christine
December 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Okay, so I put my hair in the headband curls at 10:30 a.m., and took them out at 4:30 p.m.
They actually came out too curly, so I had to spend a fair amount of time getting the curls to loosen to where I wanted them.
SO
This is right after I took them out.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9054&pictureid=121309

After I combed them out
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9054&pictureid=121310
Sorry about how blurry that one was :(

After I coiffed it accordingly and pulled it back.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9054&pictureid=121311

Sorry, I was going to post them in directly, but my flickr account was being kind of a jerk.

candycandace
December 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Okay, so I put my hair in the headband curls at 10:30 a.m., and took them out at 4:30 p.m.
They actually came out too curly, so I had to spend a fair amount of time getting the curls to loosen to where I wanted them.
SO
This is right after I took them out.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9054&pictureid=121309

After I combed them out
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9054&pictureid=121310
Sorry about how blurry that one was :(

After I coiffed it accordingly and pulled it back.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9054&pictureid=121311

Sorry, I was going to post them in directly, but my flickr account was being kind of a jerk.
Those turned out awesome! I don't think they are too curly! They are super cute! Love them :p!

aisha.christine
December 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Thank you :) I really like how they turned out after I combed them.

gboneske
December 15th, 2011, 07:39 PM
That is the look I was going for! Lol.. I think my hair might have been too wet when I wrapped it. I will try it next time just misting it and going over night.

SoulOfTheSea
December 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Would this work for people with longer hair? I would love to try it but I don't think there will be enough headband space. :o

pineapples
December 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Soulofthesea I tried this about a week back on my length and it was a disaster to sleep in and take out. For me there wasn't enough tension in the headband to hold my full length twisted. But I'm also a bit beyond classic so slightly shorter or thinner hair might work just fine. Nothing tried nothing gained.

SoulOfTheSea
December 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Soulofthesea I tried this about a week back on my length and it was a disaster to sleep in and take out. For me there wasn't enough tension in the headband to hold my full length twisted. But I'm also a bit beyond classic so slightly shorter or thinner hair might work just fine. Nothing tried nothing gained.

That's what I'm concerned is going to happen. Not like I have one of those stretchy headbands anyways, lol. I'll stick with cocoon curls for now, they work! :D

Oksana
December 16th, 2011, 04:18 AM
That's what I'm concerned is going to happen. Not like I have one of those stretchy headbands anyways, lol. I'll stick with cocoon curls for now, they work! :D

I have had good results on my sisters hair using the method I posted earlier and she is between waist and hip with medium to thick hair.

I am using my own home-made headband, which is basically made from an old t-shirt and I tie the ends together on my forehead which means you can adjust the tension. It also gives rounder curls as the headband is thicker.

Aveyronnaise
December 20th, 2011, 05:09 AM
So , I did this and the first day it was really adorable and curly and the next day it was very glamorous. I did it wet and left it in overnight and then some . I adore the updo it makes while you are waiting for it to dry , i got compliments on that too.
I didn't use any product this time , but I have some in and I used some aloe vera on these. Oh I used a brastrap elastic headband , and I actually pulled it pretty tight.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/rubytakeyrlove/Photo854.jpg

MegaMystery
December 20th, 2011, 05:13 AM
That turned out very beautiful, i think i might try that too as soon as i find a headband that'll work (= not too tight) :)

Bazinga
December 20th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Wow, I never thought you could get such pretty curls without using heat. What do you all think should be the minimum hair length to try this out?

Egana
December 20th, 2011, 07:26 AM
So , I did this and the first day it was really adorable and curly and the next day it was very glamorous. I did it wet and left it in overnight and then some . I adore the updo it makes while you are waiting for it to dry , i got compliments on that too.
I didn't use any product this time , but I have some in and I used some aloe vera on these. Oh I used a brastrap elastic headband , and I actually pulled it pretty tight.

so, amazingly beautiful!

intothemist1999
December 20th, 2011, 08:24 AM

I think I'll try it,too, but it *does* look as thought it would hell to get out, with all those separate strands! The video makes it look so easy. My hair's waist ATM.

Aveyronnaise
December 20th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I have thick and really tangly hair but I just turned my head upside down and kind of slid it out . The only problem that I really had with it was the back final piece it's looked a little messy the two times that I have done it , but I have no doubt that some LHCer or I will innovate it.
I have some awesome big hair with it , I just can't get enough of it!

Mayflower
December 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I'm trying it now. I didn't wet my hair first because I bought a hairband today and only now I see it says 'Don't wet it, the colour could stain':justy:. I hope the curls come out nice in the morning!

Oceanmoon
December 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Looks fun, I have navel length naturally straight hair, so anything that can give me a bit of wave or style without heat is OK in my books, I'm going to try this out for New years. Pics will be shown of course :D

unknown
December 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM

How did you avoid getting red marks over your forehead due to the headband?

Celebrian
December 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Hey any advice for me? My hair is mid-back, but I have layers,some of which are as short as ear length. How would this work for me?

unknown
December 21st, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hey any advice for me? My hair is mid-back, but I have layers,some of which are as short as ear length. How would this work for me?

My hair is the same and it worked :) Just make sure to get all the ends in the headband

missoj
December 21st, 2011, 05:18 AM
You guys look great. Lovely curls. I prefer doing this method as no heat curling, because sock buns don't work for me :(
My front always turns out great but my back is normally more wavy than curly. I tried Oksana's technique once, but it fell out as I was sleeping. Will try it again another time.

Celebrian
December 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM
My hair is the same and it worked :) Just make sure to get all the ends in the headband

Really? Ok, I'll get a band and try it this weekend! :D

Aveyronnaise
December 22nd, 2011, 03:27 AM
How did you avoid getting red marks over your forehead due to the headband?

Hi - I just kind of wore it like one would wear a regular headband , i didn't wear it on my forehead. I hope that makes sense.
For anyone that wants to make a headband out of that type of elastic , you can usually find "brastrap " elastic at a fabric store.

Mayflower
December 22nd, 2011, 06:34 AM
I tried this and I had those typical Kardashian-curls which look more like waves to me. My short layers were superpretty and curled away from my face, but the rest of my hair (waist+) just had a faint S-wave. Buh!

uptosomeone
December 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM
I tried this and love it! When it's over my forehead I get a mixture of finger waves and Farrah Fawcett type curls, and when I wear is further back they're a bit more current and less retro. It's so much fun. Definitely my new favorite way to curl my hair!

PS I have no headbands so I used a bra strap from one of my convertible bras that I don't like. It worked fabulously. :D

Edit: here's take two on the curls. My favorite thing is how it works with my bangs...they always look so nice!
http://i43.tinypic.com/2a4zin5.jpg
Sorry about the bad quality/tired expression. It's getting later and later here and I'm up fussing with my hair. :p

Tapioca
December 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
I want to see a picture of someone with the headband still on!

kitten1986
January 29th, 2012, 04:34 AM
You girls are all getting beautiful results with this method I am jealous! So I decided I would give it a go tonight. I had some elastic in my sewing kit which I sewed in a loop to size and I have just wrapped it all up. I washed my hair this afternoon but it was pretty dry by the time I did this so hopefully it still works for me and I wake up with some of the envious curls I see on this thread!!!

MegaMystery
January 29th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I have some in right now, i used the collar of an old t-shirt i had laying around. I just cut it off and it fits around my head perfectly & comfortably. I'm just going to wear this as a hairstyle today, it's sunday afternoon here so i don't really have anywhere special i need to go. I'm curious as to what curls i'll get tomorrow..

kitten1986
January 29th, 2012, 09:21 PM
holy curls batman! I did this last night and my hair this morning when I pulled it out was HUUUGGGEEE the curls are quite tight and it took my BSL to Shoulder length. I was hoping they would loosen up throughout the day but even with brushing they are really tight so next time I will try to wrap it looser. Needless to say my hair doesnt usually hold a curl and this method is SUPER effective!

renee2day
March 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
OP headband curls are the best.
It is the number onr favorite thing I learned from joining LHC.
The curls I get are better than what I could get with curling irons.
It is the thing that's going to help me reach my next hair growth milestone as I have to stop using heat to have healthy growth.
I love love love them.
Just keep experimenting with the head band technique.
The sock bun on top of my head is my second favoriite.

:disco::love::cloud9:

jacqueline101
March 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
I hope your hair turns out pretty. I'm sure it will.