PDA

View Full Version : Shaving my head

Misty
July 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have bra strap length hair in great condition....here comes the but.....I apply henna and indigo in a two step method=Ihave jet black hair (with lots of shine but all one color an very black).
I just had a child, I am 36 years old and feel like a new me...have been having thoughts (and very often) of having a new start with my hair (I have light brown hair with some white hair too) for the first time with my own hair color (I have change my hair color since I was 16 years old)...and at the same time I fel like I am young enough to be able to carry shaved head and I don't think black hair makes me look my age to the contrary I think it gives me a worn out look....and as you all know INDIGO IS NOT REMOVABLE....and letting it grow with the two tones is absolutely out of the question...the difference of color is way toooooo much.
I am crazy (I know for sure I am not depressed)...trust me this is not a las minute or last week thought is more like a new life for my hair and for me.
HELP!!

Blueglass
July 11th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Do you really want too? You could try vanish a new producthttp://vanishcolorremover, which may remove color. If you really want to could be a good time.

MissHair
July 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I am seriously contemplating to shave my scalp. I was anemic few years ago, doctors said 15 months ago that my hair should grow back, nothing has happened. My hairline seems to be thinning on one same spot and all my attempts of eating healthy, take all my vitamines including zink, drinking loads of water, be kind to it, dont rub it, use gentle shampoo, dont comb through the sensitive areas have not paid off.

I really believe that Im going bald, at least on one same old spot, and I feel like there is no point in having long hair if Im going bald anyways, so why not shave it all off. I am so sad, and almost aggressive that this is happening.

My hairline, especially on my temples grows about an inch or two, then it falls off, its an endless cycle, it grows 1-2 inches, then if falls off, I simply dont know the cause of this. I can do an updo and it feels like my hair is only pulled up from behind and not from my entire scalp because its missing so much hair in the front section. I dont understand why it would grow 1-2 inches and then fall off.. It dosnt do that to the other parts of my hair.. Its like its too weak to produce hair on my temples..

Ive posted countless times on ''hairloss forums'' and everyone thinks Im over reacting and that my hairline looks ''normal'' to them. But comparing to what my hairline looked like 7 years ago, it has changed..

What would help? I heard that I should go to a skin doctor but they are always booked and my doctor just keeps telling me to eat vitamines.

Would it help to shave off my entire scalp and see what grows out and what dosnt? I feel like Im growing a man's forhead. I do have hairloss in my family, dad, brother, uncle, all are bald.. Is this a heritage related issue or do I have a mild case of alopecia-something? I dont have trichotillimania, I dont lack vitamines.. I dont stress. Whats wrong? Im so close to shaving my hair off tonight out of frustration..

And am I just imagining this? Do you see what I see? Because my family has been commenting on my hairloss and I dont know what to tell them. I noticed my temples were missing hair when I would use bobby-pins and the pins would literally fall off on the floor because it had no support to stay on from lack of hair.

Anyone been through the same thing? Same symptoms? Advice?

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8316/hairlosswg1.jpg

Do you see what I see? Or am I being paranoid?

Albrun
July 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
you wouldn't be the first who starts with shaved head. The other possibility is to wait utilyour new Growth would be an inch ad starting with pixie.

Calista
July 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
MissHair, it doesn´t look at all bad to me. If long hair is what you want I see no reason why you shouldn´t have it just because you´re missing a little bit of hair at the temples.

lora410
July 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I color opp's most of my black out and then I did a honey and baby shampoo wash (leave on for atleast 10mins). My hair is EXTREMLY close to my old color

Fencai
July 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I have bra strap length hair in great condition....here comes the but.....I apply henna and indigo in a two step method=Ihave jet black hair (with lots of shine but all one color an very black).
I just had a child, I am 36 years old and feel like a new me...have been having thoughts (and very often) of having a new start with my hair (I have light brown hair with some white hair too) for the first time with my own hair color (I have change my hair color since I was 16 years old)...and at the same time I fel like I am young enough to be able to carry shaved head and I don't think black hair makes me look my age to the contrary I think it gives me a worn out look....and as you all know INDIGO IS NOT REMOVABLE....and letting it grow with the two tones is absolutely out of the question...the difference of color is way toooooo much.
I am crazy (I know for sure I am not depressed)...trust me this is not a las minute or last week thought is more like a new life for my hair and for me.
HELP!!

i second what blueglass said and try the remover first.
Have you looked at the honey thread? Maybe you could lighten it with honey?

Tapioca
July 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I agree with everyone who suggested trying to lighten and remove the indigo first. Really, what's the worst that could happen? If it doesn't work, you can shave and start from scratch, like you were planning. There have been plenty of people on this board that shaved to start over from scratch.

Ohio Sky
July 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Misshair, I don't think it looks bad at all. It just looks like baby hairs, and many members here have those all the time. I kinda like the look, myself. I wouldn't shave if I were you, because you still have a whole ton of beautiful hair, and a few hairs missing around the temple doesn't make the rest of the hair any less beautiful.

Misty, I second the idea of trying removers, just don't use bleach. Indigo tends to fade on many people if they use stuff like baby shampoo and honey. If you can lighten the length a bit, you can always touch up the roots with a darkerr shade of brown and kind of transition your way to your original hair, trimming the black if you feel the need. It takes a while, but is actually kind of fun, that's what I've been doing.

lora410
July 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I am seriously contemplating to shave my scalp. I was anemic few years ago, doctors said 15 months ago that my hair should grow back, nothing has happened. My hairline seems to be thinning on one same spot and all my attempts of eating healthy, take all my vitamines including zink, drinking loads of water, be kind to it, dont rub it, use gentle shampoo, dont comb through the sensitive areas have not paid off.

I really believe that Im going bald, at least on one same old spot, and I feel like there is no point in having long hair if Im going bald anyways, so why not shave it all off. I am so sad, and almost aggressive that this is happening.

My hairline, especially on my temples grows about an inch or two, then it falls off, its an endless cycle, it grows 1-2 inches, then if falls off, I simply dont know the cause of this. I can do an updo and it feels like my hair is only pulled up from behind and not from my entire scalp because its missing so much hair in the front section. I dont understand why it would grow 1-2 inches and then fall off.. It dosnt do that to the other parts of my hair.. Its like its too weak to produce hair on my temples..

Ive posted countless times on ''hairloss forums'' and everyone thinks Im over reacting and that my hairline looks ''normal'' to them. But comparing to what my hairline looked like 7 years ago, it has changed..

What would help? I heard that I should go to a skin doctor but they are always booked and my doctor just keeps telling me to eat vitamines.

Would it help to shave off my entire scalp and see what grows out and what dosnt? I feel like Im growing a man's forhead. I do have hairloss in my family, dad, brother, uncle, all are bald.. Is this a heritage related issue or do I have a mild case of alopecia-something? I dont have trichotillimania, I dont lack vitamines.. I dont stress. Whats wrong? Im so close to shaving my hair off tonight out of frustration..

And am I just imagining this? Do you see what I see? Because my family has been commenting on my hairloss and I dont know what to tell them. I noticed my temples were missing hair when I would use bobby-pins and the pins would literally fall off on the floor because it had no support to stay on from lack of hair.

I think you are being paranoid! Your hairline looks fine adn I see alot of baby hairs on it.

Peggy E.
July 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Misty, you are still being affected by the birth - it takes a long, LONG time for those hormones to get back to their normal level. So saying you're "not depressed" may well be, but you may well still be showing signs of post-partum depression and simply not acknowledging the fact.

Your thinking makes sense, though - for you have taken a giant step down that new, exciting road which will bring more change to your life, for your entire life, than you could have ever imagined. Addressing this new life, this new start, with a "fresh hair slate," so to speak, could be an exciting decision to follow.

Or it could be the biggest mistake for which you will be ruing the day for many, many months to come. Please refer, if you will, to the number of threads from those suffering from the "between lengths" misery, when there's next to nothing you can do with it, other than let it hang and pray for growth.

You really want to go through this again? Take your admittedly well-conditioned, healthy hair completely down to scalp-level?

Please, please, please think so very carefully about this before you take the plunge. Hard to do when you probably are not well rested, may well be harried, and it's difficult to think as clearly as you absolutely need to right now.

There's a "Two-Week Rule" in which you are to put down those scissors, drop the razor, hide the clippers, and put off any action of such a drastic nature for two weeks. If after the time has passed and you still feel the desire to shave your head, well, be confident and proud and throw caution to the wind!

Always remember - it's YOUR hair, it's YOUR life and it's up to YOU to make it what you want and need!

rhondalicious
July 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I would absolutely advocate NOT shaving it until you've thought about it for at least a month! I stupidly hacked off a 13 inch ponytail a few months after my DD was born, and I have been regretting that decision for 2 years now (but at least now my hair is back longer than it was before!)

WaimeaWahine
July 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Misty - As a former head shaver, that's a huge leap and it carries it's own responsibilities (skull caps are a must to prevent heat loss and reduce sensitivity for one thing.) I wouldn't do that.

We have some things in common. If all you've ever used on your hair is henna and indigo, then take the advice of other members here and lighten it. If you have ever used permanent hair dye, let me know as there's a product to strip that without damaging hair or bleaching.

On older women, dark hair may make some women look aged but even black comes in more natural colors like ash black.

MissHair - It's common for hair to thin as we get older. No two hairlines are the same and it's normal to have thinner patches on either sides of your temples. If it bothers you, bangs are a good way to hide the area. I've inquired about the Rogaine products and women have had mixed results.

Unofficial_Rose
July 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
My hairline, especially on my temples grows about an inch or two, then it falls off, its an endless cycle, it grows 1-2 inches, then if falls off, I dont understand why it would grow 1-2 inches and then fall off.. It dosnt do that to the other parts of my hair.. Its like its too weak to produce hair on my temples..

Do you see what I see? Or am I being paranoid?[/quote]

Obviously I just have the photo to go by, but I have exactly the same problem on my right temple - just grows about an inch :confused: I never used to wear my hair up until recently, so I suspect it has always been like this. I haven't got any "balder", actually my ponytail's thickened up from 2.5" to 3" in the last year. Your hair may be like mine then? Please don't shave your head, you still have beautiful hair!

Medvssa
July 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM

I've been through anemia caused hairloss and I shaved my hair. I really don't think you have this from your picture. Hair around the hairline has a very short terminal lenght for many people, and to have less hair over the temples is very common too, it is just a shape of hairline (mine has always been very high around there, inherited from my father), that perhaps you did not pay attention to before. It looks perfectly normal to me, yes I think you are being a little paranoid :)

Hairloss from anemia, in my case, was general thinning of all my hair. I would just shed great bunches of hair. I lost 3/4 of my hair. Before this, it was growing almost completely straight for about a year and I did not notice because it was always braided. I hacked it shoulder lenght because of the thinning, and then I realized my curls were gone! It kept on thinning, so when I started seeing too much scalp, I shaved it in September, and kept on shaving all the winter. I took my supplements, and after some time my hair grew back strong and curly. I still have to be careful with my diet and supplements, or I go through seasonal sheddings that are a bit too serious.

The shaved head was not all that bad, but the awkward phases were terrible (this is worse for curlies I believe) so I also suggest to Misty to give more thought to this. A shaved head can be fun, growing it not so much.

wintersun99
July 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM

ReadingRenee
July 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I shaved my head when I was younger because I accidentally cut a bald spot in my hair on top of my head.

Let me tell you regrowth is a PAIN. Of course I didn't have interest in the health of my hair back then and I had a lot of fun dying my hair different shades of platinum because with it being so short and close to my scalp bleach worked REALLY well.

I actually removed my indigo with yogurt treatments and honey but the henna was there to stay. I agree with others that you might want to try to remove color and then if your hair is in terrrible condition or you don't like it, you can shave it all off.

misshair I have been an admirerer of your hair for some time now. Do what you want but your hair is beautiful and that is such a tiny spot of baby hairs. I have those too. I think we can be our own worst critics when it comes to our hair. :)

Ndnlady
July 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Let me say that your hair is in great condition first of all and looks great. I too am anemic and I take a multi-vitamin with iron in it everyday. It may take a little bit of time for the sides in your pic to get thicker, because if I need iron and have not been taking it like I should:rolleyes:, the sides on the front part of my head look thinner like baby hairs or something, but that also comes from stressing out too, and sometimes I have to give it about a month when I start taking my iron again for it to come back thicker. And your family telling you that your hair line looks thinner does not help especially because those are the people you really look to and value thier opinions, so I am sorry!:( IMO you should wait a little while and stick to your healthy diet with iron and stop stressing, maybe even explain to your family how it hurts your feelings when they comment on the fact that your hair looks thinner and to please not mention anything about it.
As far as the henna and indigo there are color strippers as some of the ladies on this thread have mentioned, but maybe you might want to try honey treatments?
For you: :grouphug:

sibilum
July 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I did shave my hair back in 2005, because I wanted to get rid of all the dyes and start with new, healthy hair.

If you have the patience, think about it very carefully first, as others have pointed out.

I personally think it is worthy. I would do it again, for the same reason, but I will never dye my hair again. I am so happy with my natural color!

Altocumulus
July 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
When my daughter was about 6 weeks old, I cut my waist length hair to a pixie. Oh, did I regret it! I hated it the moment it was done. It made me look 10 years older, 20 lbs heavier, and very much not like myself. I'd thought about it for at least two weeks before doing it, but two weeks is not enough under those circumstances (wild hormone fluctuations and extreme sleep deprivation). I took before and after pictures and wanted to cry every time I saw them. Think carefully for a long time before you do it!

Delilah
July 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
If you really wanted to shave it, you wouldn't be posting in a long-hair forum where everyone is going to tell you not to. You would just do it.

Golden21
July 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I think shaving your head sounds very extreme. Why not let your natural color show a little at the root and then go to a salon and have them dye all of your hair that color? How much damage could it do to your hair if you are thinking of cutting it off anyway?

Misty
July 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks to all of you...I really appreciate it....and Peggy E...you are right on the target.
No shaving...thanks a lot.

Shermie Girl
July 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
HELP!!

You are very right. Indigo is not removable. Nor is henna. As I can tell you from painful, first hand experience. My once near tailbone hair is in a short bob and I am still trimming away damage from my attempt to remove henna.

If you do decide to try to use a product to see if you can remove the henna/indigo, strand test first. I can tell you that you will most likely not be successful. My own attempts and tests have proven that henna will not come out of the hair before it is utterly destroyed. And indigo can have even better sticking power, especially id used together with henna.

The only way, so far to completely remove these substances is to cut them away. If you are seriously considering a complete do-over, now may just be the best time. You just had a baby, completely removing all your hair will help you avoid the postpartum shed and you can start over with brand new hair.

I considered it, myself. But I am just too chicken and know that a shaved head would not look good on me. So, I am slowly growing and chopping at bob length.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. :D

Darkhorse1
July 11th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I would NOT shave your head. Unless you are happy with the results, you would be very unhappy after the fact.

I'm not familiar with henna at all, so perhaps go to a hair dresser and see what they say? I know that if you color over it or do something that reverses the process, your natural color can come back.

Miss Hair---your hair is growing back! I see lots of wispys! That's good!! Don't cut/shave.

Rule of thumb....wait a few days on an idea and really think about how you'll feel without hair. Then, write down pros and cons. Something that big of a change needs to be really thought through. Good luck!

brok3nwings
July 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
MissHair i have the exact think i see in that picture...less hair at one side of my front and its like a spot of almost baldness. I dont care a lot about it..i think it is from aging and i look at them as baby hairs... they dont grow more than two inches its like body hair. If i were you i wouldnt shave...i look at your picture and i dont see any reason for that!!

brok3nwings
July 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Misty, congratulations on your baby!!! About your hair i think it is a really drastic thing to do...really drastic!! You wouldnt have any hair left..you would really miss it! I´ve done it once and it was really depressing to wash my hair...really really!! Thats when i got obcessed by it! If i were you and if i really wanted the new colour i would cut it into a medium lengh and let it grow and use a lot of updos... i really dont know.

sedonia
July 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I think shaving your head sounds very extreme. Why not let your natural color show a little at the root and then go to a salon and have them dye all of your hair that color? How much damage could it do to your hair if you are thinking of cutting it off anyway?

Well, the problem is you can't use conventional hair colors over henna and indigo.

However, a colorist might be able to blend lowlights into your natural colored roots as you grow it out, to blend the black with the brown. I don't know if this would give a satisfactory result or not.

MeMyselfandI
July 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM

I do see what you mean my the temple area. There is an area that is not as full. If this was full before, yes I would be concerned.

I would not shave. I am so tired of hearing people shaving their hair to thicken it. I do not think it thickens hair. I have know people who did this. Their hair is still the same baby fine hair they always had.

I have no idea what shaving would do for hair loss.

This is a post about vitamins for hair. First of all talk to your doctor about what is suggest if you want to go that route.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83

I wish you the best.

MeMyselfandI
July 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
HELP!!

Misty,

Congrats on the baby.

Do not do it.

After my first child, I did not feel I had the two hours to have damp hair as it air dryed. So I cut my waist long hair to about two inches long in layers. It looked good the first couple of days and that was it. Then I needed more time for styling. I was not a happy camper.

A baby is enough of a change, without going drastic on your hair.

You mentioned you are not depressed. Do you have the baby blues? I think I may have when I cut my hair. I think it was sheer exhaustion and total lack of sleep for way to long.

I would suggest you let it go out, put a large scarf in it as a head band to cover the roots until they get a couple of inches long. If you want then you can cut and still have some length.

Link to the honey thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148

This is ktani's signature:

***** This is the complete, always updated, honey lightening recommendations post. *****
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=134083&postcount=1096
Save this link to stay current with honey lightening. See the Pictures Post #15.

Try some of the colour remover products that were suggested.

I thought that indigo eventually comes out, or is this only when done as a hendigo?

chloeishere
July 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Please check out the honey thread before you do anything drastic. It's in the Henna and Herbal Haircare subforum. There have been several people who have faded indigo considerably with the new information that we now have.

But, if you really want to shave your hair, and the indigo is just an excuse to do it... Go for it! It's your hair, you should enjoy it.
That said, I HATED growing out my pixie cut, and vowed never to cut my hair that short again, so do consider the painful growing out process, as well.

ETA: Miss Hair, my temples look like that too, always have, probably always will. I know it has to suck if your temples didn't used to look like that, but honestly, your hairline looks absolutely fine. If (and it's a very big if) it keeps getting worse, then you can reevaluate, but I honestly don't think you are going bald.
And also, though I hate my poofy temples, 99.999% of people will NOT EVEN notice, I swear. It's much more noticable to you. Noone else thinks that your hairline is looking weird, I promise. Well, unless you mention it to a bunch of people on a long hair forum, but even then, your hairline looks fine!

jojo
July 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM

my hairline looks identical, but then again always has done! Don't fret over it, its normal! If you really are concerned about it, then why not try a fringe/bangs to cover the 'problem' looks OK to me though! x

My camera is on charge but heres a photo of my funny hair line, the left hand side of mine goes way back further and there are those baby hairs there too but not too obvious on the photo. I never give it a second thought to be honest, neither should you even if you did shave, it may very probably grow the exact same, keep growing!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG0017-2.jpg

Mi-chan
July 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM
If I were you, I'd do it!... no wait. I did it, just 5 1/2 months ago XD

Keiera
July 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
MissHair, you could have just posted a picture of my forehead. Maybe the picture you posted doesn't show it as bad as you see it, but from that picture, I don't see a problem. I also have little baby hairs all around the front of my head that won't grow more than an inch or so, it's normal. Don't go and shave your head unless you really really want to.

MissHair
July 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
So many replies, oh my thank you!!! I dont think I can reply all of them, I just wanna say thanks to everyone who replied on my topic. It was merged into this one and I didnt even realise it until now. Sorry if topics are mixed up. You made me feel so much better now, yeah actually my temples never looked like that before, I had thick full hair on the sides, so yes it has thinned, but I feel better knowing Im not the only one with ''bald'' temples.. Im gonna try and make it hot, haha.

Blueglass
July 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Misty, what about soapwart? Remember that post about soapwart pulling indigo? Miss hair it really does look that bad.

Blueglass
July 11th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Miss hair it really does Not look that bad.

Misty
July 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Regarding the two weeks wait...I have had this thought of shaving already for a month...is just a healthy looking hair back way too dark for my age already...and in me indigo doesn't go away with anything...I guess i am only left with two options:
1. Shave it
2.Let it grow, which will look as strange as shaving it, since my hair color is really light (between dark blonde and very light brown).

chloeishere
July 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Regarding the two weeks wait...I have had this thought of shaving already for a month...is just a healthy looking hair back way too dark for my age already...and in me indigo doesn't go away with anything...I guess i am only left with two options:
1. Shave it
2.Let it grow, which will look as strange as shaving it, since my hair color is really light (between dark blonde and very light brown).

Misty--
Are you saying that you have already tried honey lightening-- with the 1 to 4 dilution, and cinnamon or cardamom added-- and you still haven't seen any lightening at all? I just rechecked the thread (which is here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148)) and saw, I believe, four or five people who used honey to lighten their hennindigo-ed hair. At least one (GlennaGirl? I don't have it open anymore) was having success in returning to her virgin color, though some areas were taking longer than others.

You have already tried using a relatively strong dilution of soapwork to wash your hair, and it also did not lighten the color at all?

There are probably other suggestions as to how to lighten the color that I haven't seen, but these both seem extremely likely to remove at least some of the indigo.

If you want to shave your head-- that's fine, it's your hair, and your choice. But if you are asking for other suggestions-- as is implied by the HELP! at the end of your original post-- please consider actually trying the suggestions before dismissing them. In the event that your hair still doesn't lighten to the desired shade, you can still shave your head, and have no ill consequences from the result of trying some unconventional lightening methods, both of which (the specific ones I've listed) haven't harmed the condition of hair at all.

Misty
July 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I tried honey in all the possible ways...for real...by itself and in combination with other herbs or products, like the suggestion baby shampoo...and indigo in my hair is PERMANENT.

Missie
July 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
to MissHair
that photo looks to me like its your natural hairline and it looks lovely.. I don't believe you have anything to be concerned about

Missie
July 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Misty
it's your decision.

Shermie Girl
July 11th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'm not familiar with henna at all, so perhaps go to a hair dresser and see what they say? I know that if you color over it or do something that reverses the process, your natural color can come back.

While you can colour over henna, there is no chemical or "natural" process that can successfully reverse henna and bring back your natural colour.

I wish there were. :)

wintersun99
July 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I tried honey in all the possible ways...for real...by itself and in combination with other herbs or products, like the suggestion baby shampoo...and indigo in my hair is PERMANENT.

Yes, it IS permanent and you may as well resign yourself to it, unfortunate as that is. I like the idea of trying to blend lowlights into your new growth to help blend the demarcation line as your new hair grows, but there isn't going to be a way to remove the indigo. In my personal case, I have been able to lighten it "a bit" over the course of 9 months and with a loss of 10-12" of hair, BUT nothing has changed the color of my hair on the ends, they are still just as black as they started out.

DiyaC
July 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM
MissHair, I went through something very similar. My hair was falling out in BIG bunches and I lost almost all my hair. 3 years after the great shed, my hair is still not the same. It is extremely thin near the temples and right in the middle too. So thin that you can see the scalp. But overall, the texture and health of my hair is much better than what it was 3 years ago. I was advised by my dermatologist to use a gentle shampoo, eat lots and lots of green leafy vegetables and wash my hair no more than twice a week. I've also been taking lots of medicines and vitamins especially for my hair all this time. Patience made a difference, MissHair. There have been times when I thought about how bad my hair was and I kept wishing it would grow back faster. I even considered shaving it all off and starting over. But, I didn't; I stuck to my routine and it's much better now and I hope it will be much better than this in a few years' time, maybe even back to normal. When I think about the fact that I went almost bald all over my head, a couple of slightly thin spots don't seem like a big thing at all. I think even these will get covered up in a while.

Don't shave your head, MissHair. I hope everything will be alright for you soon. :grouphug:

chloeishere
July 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Urgh, I'm sorry to hear that! I think Mellie had success with the soapwort, but she also had a degree of success with the honey too, so it may not work for you.

It's a tough decision, good luck!

Misty
July 12th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Thank you sooooooo very much to all of you.
Wintersun99...I think I am heading that way, just let it grow (no lowlights because it will take away all the purpose since I just would like my natural hair with whites and all to come out) and maybe take a few inches out.

danacc
July 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I'm glad you are considering just letting grow, at least for now. You are faced with quite a dilemma, and Peggy E. had some good points about still being affected by postpartum hormone levels, lack of sleep, and caring for a new baby. Any major change is stressful, even one as obviously joy-filled as the expansion of your family. I recommend that you put the decision of whether to cut or not on hold for a couple of months.

In the meantime, not cutting means you have plenty of length to put your hair up. You can wear pretty scarves or go with a casual looking buff or bandana if being two-toned makes you self-conscious. And as that wonderful baby grows and gets hands and mouth on everything, I bet you'll be happy for enough length to keep it in up-do's.

As it grows out, the line of demarcation will hide itself in the 'do. I think some of the two-toned up-do looks like Xandergrammy's look pretty cool. But if that look is not for you, you still have a scarf/bandana/buff option. Or you can get some pretty bun covers or slides that would camouflage the color change, even if the color change is drastic.

wintersun99
July 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you sooooooo very much to all of you.
Wintersun99...I think I am heading that way, just let it grow (no lowlights because it will take away all the purpose since I just would like my natural hair with whites and all to come out) and maybe take a few inches out.

That's great - just give it a little while, put it up, buy some fabulous headbands and see what happens. As you can see in my (new) avatar, the hair color is current - I did have some success with mayo treatments and from honey lightening, my hair is NOT so much black now, it does have lots of henna showing through and the indigo has transformed into black lowlights... (it did take almost 9 months though!) but you might consider (I know that you don't have much time w/a new baby) doing the honey lightening for awhile, even if it doesn't work it will still probably be great for shine and condition! Take care... :)