PDA

View Full Version : Early Photos of Women's Hair (link)

Snippety
December 15th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Just had this pop up on the Retronaut site :)

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/12/early-photographs-of-womens-hair/

Erika_92
December 15th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Nice! :o

julliams
December 15th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Oh I'm sure I was born in the wrong time period. Give me long dresses to my ankles, corsets and hand sewing. Loved those pictures - thanks!

RapunzelKat
December 15th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I love the updo in the first one. Also, when I saw the third one my first thought was that the girls were trying to show goal length with their hands :D Looks like they passed it! ;)

Knotted
December 15th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the link and for introducing me to that website! Very cool :)

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I like long hair and the picture is cute but that much hair would be a bit much for me.

door72067
December 15th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I love old photos! thanks for sharing that

Amazinggrace
December 15th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Beautiful hair. :)

Even in the victorian era women took pictures of the back of thier head. :)

newbeginning
December 15th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the link.

Amber_Maiden
December 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Love the old photos!

Navydoc_76
December 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
i love those old photos-really neat website too!

Chamy
December 15th, 2011, 11:17 PM
haha, they do it the LHC way!

dulce
December 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I really enjoyed this,thanks for the link!

Lissandria
December 16th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks for sharing. My favourites are the last two but they are all gorgeous and inspiring. Love the whole site.

Ishje
December 16th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Oh I'm sure I was born in the wrong time period. Give me long dresses to my ankles, corsets and hand sewing. Loved those pictures - thanks!

oh yes, I totally agree with this :D
these pictures are great!

PrincessBob
December 16th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I wish there was a bit more contrast so i could make out how the styled hair was up. Oh, well. beautiful and fun to see.

Tennessee Rose
December 16th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I want to make a point in the texture of their hair.

I don't think it was because they styled it. But I have reached the conclusion that it is really hard to see a woman with hair as straight some of you have now in this kind of pictures. You know, even if hair washing counts, and buns and all that stuff, I think straight haired women, keep their texture so why is there so few women like that on those pictures?

starrydawn
December 16th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Those were really cool to look at! Thanks! :D

Panth
December 17th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I want to make a point in the texture of their hair.

I don't think it was because they styled it. But I have reached the conclusion that it is really hard to see a woman with hair as straight some of you have now in this kind of pictures. You know, even if hair washing counts, and buns and all that stuff, I think straight haired women, keep their texture so why is there so few women like that on those pictures?

IMO the texture you see in most Victorian 'long hair' photos is quite simply explained: it's people with hair somewhere between the 1a and maybe 2b spectrum. However, the texture is simply what happens naturally if you plait your hair every day of your life and then one day happen to brush out those ingrained loose braid waves for a photo.

It's exactly the same texture as my mum gets when her hair is loose - she has worn two english plaits every day for the better part of 35 years. It's also how mine goes when I wear plaits every day for more than, say, 2 weeks in a row. The effect is enhanced by having very stretched out washes (say, once a month or less) as many of the Victorian ladies probably would have done - as is common knowledge, styles (including braid waves) last longer on 'dirty' hair.

ArienEllariel
December 17th, 2011, 05:29 AM

Oh, me too. :)

sarah061
December 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Those photos, and that website!, is great - thanks for sharing! :)

pinupdancer
December 17th, 2011, 12:07 PM
That is a great site, and those photos are beautiful! I agree that the hair texture is a product of plaiting your hair daily for years.

Mommyof4
December 17th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Me too!! Me too!!! I have always said I wished I could have been born in the 1800's.. maybe on Prince Edward Island??

Anne of Green Gables and a love for history ruined me lol