PDA

View Full Version : Timed Treatments

BeccaAngel
December 14th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Every so often when I feel I need it, I do an Extra Virgin Olive Oil treatment for my hair. and I usually keep it in for about an hour at most. Whats the longest I could keep it in my hair without hurting it?

Mairéad
December 14th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure if there is any such thing as too long. Many people leave oil in over night and out of sheer laziness I know I've gone nearly two days with a heavy oiling in. (Yay hats.)

BeccaAngel
December 14th, 2011, 10:03 PM
well that's good to know, thank you

Trish in SC
December 15th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I did an overnight oiling last night, so it was on for 11 hours or so. I really soaked my hair! I mixed EVOO, Coconut oil, Lavendar EO and some cinnamon. I'm not sure why I dumped some cinnamon into it, I guess I was just feeling daring! :) (and it smelled good)

Anyhow, washed it out this morning, and it's softer, but not as much as I thought there would be. I guess these things make improvements over time, and not just with a single treatment.

Should these oil treatments be heated, or not?

lesbia
December 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I let oils on my hair sometimes for day, until my ends absorb all oil ;)

Miss Catrina
December 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
The only "bad" thing I've ever heard of happening with excessive oil application was when my friend reported that it temporarily made her curls limp.

Gothchiq
December 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I warm up the oil and leave it on for like 2 hours while I proofread books (that's my second job) or dink around online, then I wash and condition.

princesitamaria
December 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
you know what I did a lot of research on it and I think just once a month doing an overnight treatment is good, but once a week the amount of time can range from 20 min to an hour, cause after 20 min your hair soaks it in, after that it just lies on your hair, and to much makes my hair flat, so depending on your hair it depends, also if you use it too much then you'll through off the ph and need protein- I do a protein once a month and condition once week- but I do co now so I dont gotta do it so much anymore

Tizzles
December 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
How do you know when you need protein and not moisture? Does your hair just get brittle and break? I've done protein treatments before and it made my hair frizz like I stuck my finger in a light socket. Granted it was one done at school and they put me under the dome dryer.

I've been afraid to deal with protein since then. My hair is fine and thin in some parts (growing back slowly) and I switch the oils around that I use. Coconut, EVOO, Dabur Amla, I never use the same oil twice, I like them all for different reasons. My hair feels pretty okay, I've noticed it has actually been stronger with CO and oilings and clarifying one time a week. I've also stopped using straight irons as much though. I went from using one every day to using one maybe once every other week, depending on if I go out to dinner or something where I need to actually dress up.

Longer than I wanted to make this post but I wanted to kind of give a brief review in case it mattered for someone to answer me. If I really didn't need too much protein couldn't I just do an egg mask? Or would that not really help? Thanks in advance I'm still a nublet to this whole healthy hair thing :P

ETA: Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread, I'd just rather ask here where it's being talked about than making a whole new thread :)

Amber_Maiden
December 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I've left oil in my hair for days.... like a week. Nothing but good came of it.

ladonna
December 15th, 2011, 01:23 PM
There's always oil in my hair, I have pretty thick dry hair so it takes alot of oil to make it limp.

ETA: I washed my hair night before last, added some jojoba oil. And today I added a mixture of coconut oil, olive oil, ans sweet almond oil. I plan on adding some more after dinner and doing a SMT.

kristib123
December 15th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I oil my hair as early as possible the night before washing. In the morning I condition, shampoo and condition.

BeccaAngel
December 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Now I'm wondering how often is ok to do the treatment?

CaityBear
December 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I don't think it would hurt leaving the oil in longer. I always do oilings overnight. Usually EVOO mixed with castor oil. And I used to it once a week...but lately I've been too lazy to do so...