PDA

View Full Version : Could this be sleep damage? White dots :(

sbhonda
December 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I just got my hair cut about a week ago and have never been prone to split ends, except when my hair is bleached, but all that hair is officially gone now :happydance:. But seemingly ALL of the hairs that lay on the outside on the sides and back of my head have white dots. ALL OF THEM. I just had a trim a week ago and haven't done anything that should've caused this. But I am a very, very, very, VERY rough sleeper, to the point where it's unreasonable. I can't afford the satin pillowcases I've been able to find in stores right now, and I tried a satin bonnet, but I've been having sleep problems due to the medication I'm on and it was driving me too crazy to wear that too. Maybe I can ask for satin pillowcases for Christmas though. I'm going to try the bonnet again tonight and see if it's really too annoying to tolerate or if I can get used to it.

I never had a problem with this before, but what I'm thinking is that I never had ends this high up before. My hair has always been at least APL, and now I have layers that start from about ears down. And I'm thinking that maybe I'm seeing a lot more damage because the friction when I'm sleeping is directly on the ends. So part of me wants to trim to get rid of this damage (probably in February if I did), but then I wonder if I would be better off just letting it grow so I can so the ends won't be directly on my pillow and, after many months, I can finally bun it when I'm sleeping. It's too short to put up now. Although maybe I could put this damaged hair up in a little ponytail on the very top of my head with a soft scrunchie. hmmm.... maybe. My hair is too short to S&D without going totally cross-eyed looking in a mirror, so I can't feasibly get rid of the dots that way.

How threatening are these white dots in hair that is seemingly very healthy otherwise? After a year and a half of growing out gross, bleached hair and absolutely hating how my hair looked and felt, I'm prioritizing health over length. Will I risk this damage spreading upward if I don't trim for 6+ months?

Zhennni(:
December 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM
are the white dots only visible when you hold it up at a certain angle? because I think sometimes it is just how the hair is when it is cut...if the white dot looks very round and is visible under any light I guess it is damage:O I had my hair freshly trimed yesterday with a sharp scissors and I find "white dot" when I look at the hair in the sunlight:P i tried cutting the hair to see if the white dot goes away and it doesnt, so I dont think that is damage

sbhonda
December 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hmmm... I'm not sure. My hair is too short to be able to see the ends easily, so I can really only see them from one angle when held up to a light. I sure hope you're right. That would be great news.

supbanana
December 14th, 2011, 09:48 PM
The ends of my hair have those same white dots, but I'm not sure if it's normal, or if my scissors are dull and the microtrimming is just creating future splits. I'm looking forward to what more experienced people have to say.

Madora
December 14th, 2011, 10:13 PM
It might have been that the scissors were not sharp enough.

As far as the silk pillowcase problem is concerned, maybe you could find somethink silk at a second hand store and adapt it to cover your pillow case.

Since you are a restless sleeper, perhaps it might help to contain your hair in a snood.

1hunky5monkeys
December 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM
W@lmart has satin sleep pillows for $5.00.

I have covered my pillow with a long half slip before- works perfectly. ;)

EvaSimone
December 14th, 2011, 10:53 PM
It might have been that the scissors were not sharp enough.

As far as the silk pillowcase problem is concerned, maybe you could find somethink silk at a second hand store and adapt it to cover your pillow case.

Since you are a restless sleeper, perhaps it might help to contain your hair in a snood.

I'd be more likely to think it was dull scissors than damage from only one week of rough sleeping. I would recommend buying cheap satin hair scarves or pillows rather than cotton; you can find them at Walmart or ethnic hair care shops for very little money. I sleep on cotton because I like to have all of my bed pillows match but I don't move much.

Panth
December 15th, 2011, 01:32 AM
White dots... The major cause is dryness.

Considering you've just trimmed I also suspect that maybe the scissors were blunt. However, that'd more likely result in splits than just white dots.

Amber_Maiden
December 15th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I bought my satin pillowcases from Sears for about $15. I got them online, maybe you could check that out? I thought it was pretty cheap (They were on sale though..).

I used to get white dots. I only got them on my old chemical dyed hair though...

Kaelee
December 15th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I think her scissors were probably dull. Possible dryness is also a cause.

Hey Madora, I've always thought of a snood as a tiny thing attached to a barette, but the ones I've seen online have been big and cover pretty much the whole head...how do you wear one? How well does it stay in?