PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for thick hair AND a round face

Orangerthanred
December 14th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm in one of those moods again. I want a hair change. A new hairstyle. I'm sick of wearing my hair the same every day.

Problem is, pretty much no hairstyles work with my hair thickness, texture, and my face shape.

I don't look good with hair out of my face. I don't look good with bangs. I don't look good with 'face-framing' layers. I don't look good in ponytails, braids, or buns. In fact, my hair doesn't fit in buns at all.

My face looks super wide if I wear my hair up, so wide that my friends even comment on it. It's embarrassing.

I wear it down, it's so overpoweringly thick that it poofs out on the sides and makes my face look even wider.

And... I look like a skeleton. Unlike the stereotypical round face, I have pretty much no cheeks, no fat on my face. And it just exaggerates the wideness.

ludwig20
December 14th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I've been struggling with this as well. Like you mentioned, my hair tends to grow out, it just sticks out on the sides. I've decided I should stay away from chin length hair since it just emphasizes the triangle head shape. (And layers just don't seem to help. It still looks like I have a thick helmet on my head.)

Sorry that I can't help. But hopefully someone can suggest ideas because I would like a flattering hairstyle.

ludwig20
December 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Oops, I meant it emphasizes my *round face shape. Sorry about that.

Orangerthanred
December 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I've been struggling with this as well. Like you mentioned, my hair tends to grow out, it just sticks out on the sides. I've decided I should stay away from chin length hair since it just emphasizes the triangle head shape. (And layers just don't seem to help. It still looks like I have a thick helmet on my head.)

Sorry that I can't help. But hopefully someone can suggest ideas because I would like a flattering hairstyle.

Exactly. I too have the hair the likes to go outward instead of downwards. It would look nice if I had a long face shape, but not my round one..

Orangerthanred
December 15th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Seems the thread is forgotten.

jaine
December 15th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Have you tried Curly Girl method? With no brushing at all after it's dry? That always makes my hair more compact. I think the poof comes from tons of individual curly hairs piling on top of each other, separated ... if they form clumps it's more compact.

If your hair is really annoying you, you could get it blow-dried straight at a salon and see how you like it. I did that and thought that I would love it ... but actually I started to miss my big, poofy hair by the second or third day. A little bit of reverse psychology? :)

Falcore
December 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM
I agree with Jaine with the brushing - that only makes it accumulate more body.

Have you tried wearing a pretty scarf that sits lower on your forehead? It would compact the hair down when you tie it.

Or wearing it half up and down but the half up bit plaiting it to eliminate some of the bulk?

Breaca
December 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I have this issue with my hair.

You need to use lots of moisturising products on your hair. Coconut oil should calm it down, don't use too much though. Generally, conditioners (try a lightweight leave in one), and hair serum can help.

Braiding as someone said - braid overnight and let it out next day, don't use a brush just finger comb. In fact try to never use a brush on your hair. Use a wide tooth comb if you have to. If its a special occasion you could use a hairdryer on very low heat - aim the nozzle down the hair shaft so the cuticle is smoothed. Of course you could go down the route of straighteners as well but this would only be for special occasions as well.

spidermom
December 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
My go-to styles for that length were the french twist and the peacock twist (a french twist with ends left out at the top). You can always leave a few pieces down around your face. Twirl them around lightly gelled fingers to encourage curl.

Toadstool
December 16th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Have you ever haad it thinned?
I deal with this (I have a square face and ridiculously thick hair) by having an undercut on one side, and a side parting. It makes my hair flat enough on that side not to annoy me, plus it makes me feel edgy enough to grow out the rest. You could always have an undercut all the way round, if that's something you'd like?

PrincessBob
December 16th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Have you thought about doing half-up hairstyles? Half up pigtails (http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/8/31/a75fa5f5-508a-49d7-a3db-eb1d62a5430a.jpg);
Half up buns (http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2011/07/28/1/192/1922153/48fc0c8669e36f52_kate-middleton-hair-bun.larger/i/Hairstyle-Inspiration-Get-Kate-Middletons-Dressy-Half-Up-Bun-Hairstyle.jpg); half up double (http://www.sailorjupiter.com/graphics/luna02.gif) - buns (http://thefivewits.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/human-luna-cosplay-wig-e1310867575920.jpg)
My hair is super thick, too. I know how trying it can be to get thick hair to do your bidding. I didn't know how to do such things when my hair was shorter, but I bet this would work if you are only using a portion of your hair.

Orangerthanred
December 16th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Have you tried Curly Girl method? With no brushing at all after it's dry? That always makes my hair more compact. I think the poof comes from tons of individual curly hairs piling on top of each other, separated ... if they form clumps it's more compact.

If your hair is really annoying you, you could get it blow-dried straight at a salon and see how you like it. I did that and thought that I would love it ... but actually I started to miss my big, poofy hair by the second or third day. A little bit of reverse psychology? :)

My hair is half relaxed. Part of it is 2c, the relaxed part is 1c. Doing the curly girl method would be one big disaster. And anyway I'm pretty sure I've done it before without success.

Blow driers make my hair worse. Literally, my hair would be a pom pom.

Orangerthanred
December 16th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I have this issue with my hair.

You need to use lots of moisturising products on your hair. Coconut oil should calm it down, don't use too much though. Generally, conditioners (try a lightweight leave in one), and hair serum can help.

Braiding as someone said - braid overnight and let it out next day, don't use a brush just finger comb. In fact try to never use a brush on your hair. Use a wide tooth comb if you have to. If its a special occasion you could use a hairdryer on very low heat - aim the nozzle down the hair shaft so the cuticle is smoothed. Of course you could go down the route of straighteners as well but this would only be for special occasions as well.

My hair gets really greasy and piece-y from the smallest amount of oil. I've decided I will not buy any more oils because of this. And I have no serums, leave ins, etc. I don't have any extra money laying around to buy things like that. Plus the cone-free products always cost 10 dollars or more.

About the braid, my hair has long layers right now and is uneven. At this point the front is much shorter than the back, and braiding exaggerates that by curling up the front hair even more...