PDA

View Full Version : Are these ingredients ok?

SopphireGem
December 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I've bought a new shampoo and am wondering if the ingredients are not too harsh? http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2568&prodid=2846&cid=57&sid=0

I was especially wondering about the sodium lauroyl sarcosinate; is this ok? Not too harsh?

Amber_Maiden
December 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Depends on what you consider harsh- I personally find SLS harsh.

Copasetic
December 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
It's impossible to judge. Some people love sulfates, some can't use them. I have no idea if they might work for you.

SoulOfTheSea
December 14th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I see a lot of flower extracts in it, so it can't be terrible for your hair. :) I also see shea butter and vitamin C, lots of good things in it. :) Wish we had this stuff in the U.S. so I could try it!

In2wishin
December 14th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I've bought a new shampoo and am wondering if the ingredients are not too harsh? http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2568&prodid=2846&cid=57&sid=0

I was especially wondering about the sodium lauroyl sarcosinate; is this ok? Not too harsh?

This is the only thing I could find. It is from the blog of The British School of Aromatherapy so it's not authoritative but does have some info

After considerable research our product experts chose Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate as an alternative cleansing and foaming agent to the more commonly used SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate). Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate is not related in any way to SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate) which is often found in cheaper brands. Plant-based Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate is derived from coconut oil and is known to be a safe, natural, nurturing cleanser for both skin and hair. It gently but effectively removes surface oil, dirt and bacteria, without stripping or drying sensitive skin and it facilitates a rich and luxurious foam suitable for any premium, natural product range.

http://www.baseformula.com/blog/tag/sodium-lauroyl-sarcosinate/

spidermom
December 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM
sodium lauroyl sarcosinate is pretty gentle
I think that might be the main cleanser in my current gym bag shampoo.

chloeishere
December 14th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate is NOT SLS. SLS is an abbreviation used for sodium lauryl sulfate, which is an entirely different surfactant/ detergent.

They are both foaming agents. My guess is that sodium lauroyl sarcosinate is supposed to be more gentle.
From a cosmetic database:

Function/use(s): Hair Conditioning Agent; Surfactant - Cleansing Agent; ANTISTATIC; EMULSIFYING; FOAMING; SKIN CONDITIONING; VISCOSITY CONTROLLING
It is probably a gentler or more conditioning surfactant. Sounds okay to me.

The shampoo is cone-free and (probably mostly) protein free.

My scalp and hair personally tend to do better with at least occasional sulfate usage, but that's not true for everyone. I think this shampoo would probably work fairly well for me (I do well with cone free and moderate protein), but I don't know what your hair prefers.