PDA

View Full Version : Huge shed, don't know why :(

pseudosymphony
December 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Around the beginning August, I thought I noticed my hair shedding more than usual. My hair's always been really thick though, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Fast forward to now: My hair is super, super thin. My scalp is visible. If I try to put it up in a ponytail, I can wrap an elastic around it 3-4 times, when previously 2 was far too tight. Hair falls out when I'm just standing there- combing is a nightmare.

I know there are a number of factors that could be the cause. I've been under a lot of stress for several months. Over the summer, due to circumstances beyond my control, my BMI went down to 15 (I have since returned to my normal weight). I stopped taking hormonal contraception right when I started college.

I've been taking a Skin, Hair and Nails multivitamin for two weeks and restarted the pill this week. I'm really hoping that something changes soon. I'm going to go to a doctor as soon as I can.

I'd really like to keep what's left of my length, if I can. I guess it will take me about 5 years for my original thickness to come back- that's how long it too me to get to my goal. Has anyone gone through something similar?

bna_rapunzel
December 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Around the beginning August, I thought I noticed my hair shedding more than usual. My hair's always been really thick though, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Fast forward to now: My hair is super, super thin. My scalp is visible. If I try to put it up in a ponytail, I can wrap an elastic around it 3-4 times, when previously 2 was far too tight. Hair falls out when I'm just standing there- combing is a nightmare.

I know there are a number of factors that could be the cause. I've been under a lot of stress for several months. Over the summer, due to circumstances beyond my control, my BMI went down to 15 (I have since returned to my normal weight). I stopped taking hormonal contraception right when I started college.

I've been taking a Skin, Hair and Nails multivitamin for two weeks and restarted the pill this week. I'm really hoping that something changes soon. I'm going to go to a doctor as soon as I can.

I'd really like to keep what's left of my length, if I can. I guess it will take me about 5 years for my original thickness to come back- that's how long it too me to get to my goal. Has anyone gone through something similar?

*hugs* I'm so sorry. You WILL get through this. Make sure to see a doctor asap, get full blood work and have your thyroid checked. I know its close to impossible, but focus on something other than shedding and hair. Don't think about it. The more I think about it, the more I shed (it seems like). We are all here for you. :)
I wish you all the best. Keep us updated! :)

tinywife
December 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I'm guessing it's the weight loss. I dropped 25 pounds in a few months and lost a lot of hair as well, probably 1/3 of it, and mine was only normal to begin with. I'd draw out great clods of it in the shower, it made me want to cry. Before long I could see my scalp too.

What stopped my shed was prenatal vitamins. Of course, I also had to correct my eating habits and the stressors in my life, but the prenatal vitamins put the hair loss on hold.

amantha
December 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Definitely go see a doctor. Massive shedding can be caused from a number of medical conditions such as thyroid problems, anemia/iron deficiency, PCOS, etc. I'm still going through a large shed due to iron deficiency and I wish I had gone to the doctor sooner.

bna_rapunzel
December 13th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Also, it takes a little bit for the hair/skin/nails multi vitamin to kick in but I've been taking mine for almost two months and I'm really starting to see results. I love it! I hope it works just as well. Be sure to keep up on your water intake too. :)

Achtland
December 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Also, it takes a little bit for the hair/skin/nails multi vitamin to kick in but I've been taking mine for almost two months and I'm really starting to see results. I love it! I hope it works just as well. Be sure to keep up on your water intake too. :)

I'm taking Swanson's Hair, Skin, Nails... I'm almost at the end of month 2 as well :) I feel I am just starting to notice an increase in growth speed now. Whether I do or not, I want to do everything I can to boost the health of my "new-hair to come".

Speed to me is nothing unless your hair on the top of your head is healthy and strong enough support itself when it's beyond your shoulders.

With the shedding... I agree with bna_rapunzel, try not to stress or think about it. Go read a book, or workout, or watch tv, a good movie, anything to keep you occupied. I try to read a book a week in winter to distract myself from the winter-blahs.

Eat the best you can for better results next month. And get yourself to a doctor, whether it be medical or not, let peace of mind put you at ease.

Good luck!

kittymallow
December 14th, 2011, 05:19 AM
i would guess that since your bmi dropped so low, that might be why your hair is falling out. the hair usally takes about 3 moths to get over bad health from the point your bmi is back to normal. eat lots of protein, and i have heard garlic tablets prevent shedding.. take good care of your health:) *hugs*

Mayflower
December 14th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that:(. That's the thing about shedding, it's often caused by stress but the shedding itself is so stressfull that it's so hard to stop stressing!!
When I was 14, my BMI was 15 too due to a very serious surgery. It stayed that way for a few years, then slowly it got better. At the time, my hair looked like sh*t. Luckely I had other health-concerns on my mind so I didn't stress about it.
Now that I'm healthy my hair's healthy too, but it took some time (and a lot of henndigo!) to get it to thicken up. I really know what you're going through and I wish you the best of luck!

jojo
December 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Any stress or deficiencies take 3 months to show in your hair. Id say the stress and weightloss have contributed to this loss. Its also possible you are anaemic so id suggest getting some bloods done and ask your Dr to do a TSH (thyroid) in too just to rule them out.

Diet make sure your getting a varied diet and keep hydrated. I understand stress can be hard to control but maybe learning some relaxation techniques such as yoga, deep breathing exercises or even a stroll will help reduce your stress levels.

Big hug to you, you have been through a lot, hopefully things will pick up for you soon; I hope so.

ladylowtide
December 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Nutrition is huge part of having healthy hair. Healthy body, healthy hair. Nourish yourself, get plenty of good food and proteins from meat and veggies. Of course you should get your thyroid checked as well, just to be safe.

Amber_Maiden
December 14th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I'm going to guess that it was the weight loss. Effects at being at a very low body weight can stick around for months after you regain the weight. I was once at an extremely low body weight and was affected by it, after I regained the weight I lost, for years after. Be brave.

pseudosymphony
December 20th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the support...good to know that other people have made it through this.

Revontuletar
December 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM
I am also having a huge problem with shedding due to Roaccutane and stress. My hair was thin before but now it seems like you can see my scalp a lot more :( My hair also would take five years to grow back. Whats worse is doctors, especially short-hair ones, don't seem to think it that much of an issue :(

jacqueline101
December 20th, 2011, 10:17 PM
There are a lot of things that cause it could be allergic reaction to shampoo.