PDA

View Full Version : Haircut necessary?

Nessie_
December 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to get some hairadvice. My hair is currently past waistlength and it's starting to bother me a little. I'm thinking of cutting it, but I'm not sure that's the wise thing to do!
My reasons for cutting would be that I have really thick hair and a lot of it as well (in my opinion at least). So hairstyles like ponytails are getting to become harder for me to do, because of the tangles and the fact that my ponytail will get in my way all of the time. Basically, my hair is starting to get hard for me to handle, it sometimes just feels like it doesn't want to be tamed! Also, I'm running out of inspiration for nice things to do with my hair. (other than braiding it a lot)
But on the other hand, I'm really proud of my long hair and I wouldn't want to grow it back out again if I regret my decision! It is part of who I am.
So what do you think? And do any of you have any tips on wearing ponytails without the tangles, or is that just not an option?
Any advice is welcome!

ps: If I would cut it, it would be between BSL and waist.

Kelikea
December 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I can't do a plain ponytail anymore without tangles, either. I am enjoying different buns and French/Dutch braids. If your hair feels heavy, you could try layers or a long fringe that you can keep out of the ponytail. If you decide to cut, go for maybe half as much off as you think, you can always cut more later :)

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hi! I have very thick hair which is just past waist now. It tangles vert easily and likes to dreadlock itself. I found the easiest thing to do was wear buns and wear my hair up. Also, I had my hair thinned and layered- both of which helped a lot!

XcaliburGirl
December 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
If it's really bothering you that much, you can try waiting two weeks and trying to figure out a way to live with it. Then if that doesn't work, you can try cutting back just a little bit. Really though, if you aren't enjoying it that long, then it wouldn't be the end of the world to cut it to BSL.

Have you tried updos? When my hair was that long I was a big fan of hairsticks.

Hollyfire3
December 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
My hair is thick too but it is BSL, now i have never had waist length hair but i know mine is very annoying at this length. Ponytails give me headaches and tangles are a problem, maybe try to look up styles before you cut it? I want WL hair soo badly and not having enough styles seems like not a very good reason to cut it because it might be too much work to grow it back out. Just try to work with it. Try some half up dos, or try using sock curls to make it look shorter.

Nessie_
December 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Hi,

Thanks so much for your quick replies :). I agree that I could try out some buns, but I'm not that proficient at them and - to be honest - they sometimes make me feel a little old :P. The heaviness of my hair does bother me when I'm doing updos, yes, but I don't think I'd go for layers, because I still like to braid my hair and layers wouldn't quite work for that.

RapunzelKat
December 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Well, I have heard it said here that you should wait two weeks before making any drastic cutting decision, which seems like a good idea to me. It will give you time to consider and be sure about what you want :) If you do decide to cut, I agree about the comment about cutting just a little at a time, or going for bangs or layers. That way you can still have long hair, but it would be easier to manage. :D

I agree that you may want to try some different styles before cutting - I'm not sure there's any way to wear past-waist length hair in a ponytail without tangling it. Braids or buns might be more comfortable, and they will protect your hair :)

darklyndsea
December 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
If buns make you feel old sometimes...what about getting some hairtoys that feel "young" to you? I don't know specifically what that might entail for you, but for instance, I've seen Plants Vs. Zombies hair sticks in one of the hair toys threads.

And there are some hairstyles that involve braiding skills more than bunning skills, but don't look like just a braid--my favorites are the Dutch Flutterby and Amish braids.

Kelikea
December 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure why everyone says that you shouldn't get layers if you braid your hair. My hair is very layered and it looks great braided. You can check out my album to see :) Layers can take away the heaviness of your hair and reduce the "headaches" from ponytails, especially if you have a bangs/fringe or long fringe that you poof or wrap around the ponytail. If you like to curl your hair, layers will show off the curls more, too. Have you tried a cream or leave-in on the underside to prevent tangles?

spidermom
December 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I haven't been able to wear ponytails except for very short durations in a long time. There are other options, though. If you really love your long hair, don't cut. Find other styles.

SpinDance
December 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
It sounds like your hair is pretty thick, so it is possible that your hair is just now getting long enough for some more interesting bun styles. Different hair toys can make a huge difference in how you present your hair/bun to the world. If it feels 'old' and that matters to you I'll second/third the suggestion to try different toys. Some little butterflies, flowers, skulls, whatever appeals to you, it's all available! I'll suggest that you implement the 2-week rule and use that time to look for and try some different buns/updo's. Remember that it is a skill to put hair up, so just because it feels awkward at first doesn't mean it always will. It doesn't take fancy/young stuff to learn, learn with what you have then look for the toys that will support that style. Check out the styles list in the Articles section, we have some great video links, some made by our own members, bless them!

white.chocolate
December 13th, 2011, 04:17 PM
My hair isn't as thick, but I still get A LOT of tangles after some time when I ponytail. You don't have the only option of doing a ponytail. If you haven't checked the articles section on hairstles, you should. There are many hairstyles you can do and learn, especially since you have the advantage of having waist length hair. I say if your hair is healthy, you don't need to have a haircut if you don't want to and like your long hair.

HintOfMint
December 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM
The pride, alone, in your long hair means you will probably regret a cut. As others have said, look into different styles. I would suggest looking into different products that will give your hair some slip to prevent tangling. Also, look at your little habits that may cause tangling. For example, sitting with your hair trapped between your back and your chair, or leaving it under a purse/backpack strap. Think about what causes tangles for you, and take small steps to fix them. It would be a shame to have to cut something that you love so much.

natnatsmama
December 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Try maintaning it at waist length for awhile and if your still not satisfied then go a little shorter,Just don't do anything drastic all at once!

Nessie_
December 14th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Thank you all for the great suggestions. New hairtoys would be a good idea, I agree. By the way, I didn't mean that ponytails are the only style I like in my hair, I braid it a lot too, but it's just that I think ponytails look so nice and I feel bad I can't really wear them anymore :P.
And Kelikea, your braids do look nice! But I have had layers in the past and it just isn't for me, I guess.
Anyway, I'll think about cutting my hair some more, although all of your comments are making me think it wouldn't be the greatest idea after all :).