PDA

View Full Version : Straight hair no heat? YT

candycandace
December 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Hey gals and guys, I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before? It seems to works really well in the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzWmhe5F0s4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
What are your thoughts on this?

mktmgt
December 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I already have straight-ish hair, but it seems to work pretty well in the vid. But jeez, that guy is annoying :laugh:.

sbhonda
December 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Huh. I never thought about something like this. I would like to try it sometime when I get a chance, but I do worry about how it might pull on the hair when removing them. Then again, my hair isn't tangle-prone, so it might not be a problem.

I just know when I've used rollers like that in the past, I always had frizz issues when taking them out. I'd be interested to see what the texture of the Goody Get it Straight things is actually like.

I do have like 6 of those rollers, which isn't actually enough to do anything with my hair, so I might sacrifice two of them as a way to test this out and see if it's worth trying on my whole head.

ellisbell
December 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM
I actually prefer the "frizzy" side...just sayin :)

candycandace
December 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I actually prefer the "frizzy" side...just sayin :)

I think that has to do with the cut of the mannequin. It's a bit wonky :/.

Huh. I never thought about something like this. I would like to try it sometime when I get a chance, but I do worry about how it might pull on the hair when removing them. Then again, my hair isn't tangle-prone, so it might not be a problem.

I just know when I've used rollers like that in the past, I always had frizz issues when taking them out. I'd be interested to see what the texture of the Goody Get it Straight things is actually like.

I do have like 6 of those rollers, which isn't actually enough to do anything with my hair, so I might sacrifice two of them as a way to test this out and see if it's worth trying on my whole head.
That would be awesome if you could test it out! I'm not sure about snags either, I think the way he smooths it out of the hair in the end may avoid that?

sbhonda
December 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Okay. I've got one in my hair now. I misted my hair with distilled water (that happened to have a little aloe vera gel in it). I'm not sure how long I'll leave it in because I only did a really small section. My hair isn't as wavy as usual because I finger-combed it a whole lot while it was drying, but I found one of the wavier sections on the back of my head and put the rest of my hair up so I won't lose track of it. (I took a before picture that I'll post with the results). My hair usually does what I want, so I don't think the results would be any different if I started with wavier hair.

Things I will say so far:
-I have a lot of hair, and I can't even begin to estimate how many of these I would need to cover my head. It would be a lot. And my hair isn't long enough to require more than one "sandwich" per section. I could've put a little more hair in this one, but not a whole lot without it popping out the sides and preventing the velcro from sticking at all.
-The piece I'm doing is on the side of my head, toward that back, but I could still see it in the mirror. It wasn't hard to put in, but it wasn't easy to line up the pieces from what I could see in the mirror. The back of my head might be tricky.
-The velcro pieces do not stick together well enough on their own. I put a few bobby pins over the outside. I would expect to need at least 2-3 bobby pins for each section.

Maverick494
December 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Way too much work. :(

I have a better method :D (only suitable for wavy hair, curlies would probably have waves after this)

#1. After washing/dampening your hair comb it through with your fingers to detangle
#2. put some aftercare product in it, like an anti frizz serum.
#3. then use your hands and sandwich the strands between them, one by one. Go up and down until all the strands are flat as a pancake.
#4. let it dry, repeating the sandwiching process whenever you see a hint of wave or curl appear.

When I do this my hair is straight. What can I say, I'm a lazy person. I don't like applying 50 pieces of velcro in my hair

sbhonda
December 13th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Okay. Here are my results.

Here's the piece of hair I used. Not as wavy as my hair usually is, but it's the best piece I could find.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3809.jpg

This is with the velcro sandwich on. I put 4 bobby pins over it after this picture. I think I should have made sure to put a bobby pin right over the ends of my hair, I'll explain more later. It looks a little curled up here, but I didn't have it sitting like that while it dried. I let it dry for just over 1.5 hours.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3810.jpg

Here's the result (with flash), you can see that it did get straight, but I don't like the result. It looks like what my hair would look like if I used a cheap flat iron from 2004 to straighten my hair. It's straight, but not smooth.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3811.jpg

This picture (without flash) shows the slight not really frizziness, but not smoothness of the hair.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/DSCF3817.jpg

I would like to try this again, maybe tomorrow, with a few changes. I don't think all of my hair needed to be more damp, but I think I should have made the very ends a little more wet. And I would put one or two bobby pins right over the ends of my hair around the velcro to really smush the ends down, as well as making sure I get the ends nice and smooth within the velcro. I still don't think the results will be comparable to a good flat iron, but if I don't get a better result with these few changes, I'll probably give up on this idea. The results would need to be pretty decent to be worth the effort.

SoulOfTheSea
December 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Oh I don't like this method at all... I used to try to straighten my hair all the time with methods, and the best way was to put it in a damp bun or make really big curls, or do the sectioned ponytail.

Hollyfire3
December 13th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Oh I don't like this method at all... I used to try to straighten my hair all the time with methods, and the best way was to put it in a damp bun or make really big curls, or do the sectioned ponytail.

does the sectioned ponytail really work? I worry it woudl be damaging and take too long to dry.

SoulOfTheSea
December 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM
does the sectioned ponytail really work? I worry it woudl be damaging and take too long to dry.

For me it made my hair flatter and less poofy, definitely straighter. It wasn't very damaging, actually. What I did was take a shower when I got home from school, let it air-dry like normal and then just sleep on that normal dried hair. Then I would wear it up to school, because it would be poofy. Then when I got home I would put my hair in a ponytail, wet the length, put some conditioner in and let that sit in. Rinse out the conditioner, let it dry a little bit, about 20-30% and then section it off with the hair ties. This minimalizes damage, which I am always conscious about. Try it out! :)