PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Flaky scalp with COing

threelilbirds
December 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hello everyone , what is a good remedy for itchy flaky scalp when doing conditioner only? I have been doing it for a long while now. About 4 months. Thanks!

Amiblue
December 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I am curious too. Never had the flakes until conditioned only. Even with ACV, still got them.

Sooo.....

BUMP! :-D

cooklaezo13
December 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
It could be caused by an overgrowth of fungus on the scalp. Try putting tea tree oil in your conditioner and see if that helps.

cheetahfast
December 13th, 2011, 09:45 PM
It could be caused by an overgrowth of fungus on the scalp. Try putting tea tree oil in your conditioner and see if that helps.

+1
Beat me to it!!!! :D

Also a prewash oiling of the scalp with some castor, EVOO, and tea tree oil is wonderful! I just massage it in and then oil my length lightly with EVOO, I leave it for a few hours, if I have time and then CO it out.

Also make sure you massage well when you are CO washing and that your conditioner is suited for it, I've found that some conditioners do not "cleanse" the scalp as well as some others do.

AnqeIicDemise
December 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Just make sure to dilute the tea trea oil properly or the itchyness will get worse! /wordsofexperience

rocket_surgeon
December 14th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I had this problem a little while ago, and tried everything that was suggested here. Eventually I just gave up and did some scalp-only shampoos with Head and Shoulders. It cleared right up.

fridgee
December 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I found an ACV rinse really helped my scalp when I started COing, but obviously it doesn't work for everyone. I haven't tried tea tree oil, but I second the making sure you're really massaging it in well while washing, because a couple of times I haven't done it well enough and even with the ACV my scalp has been yucky.

gazelle
December 15th, 2011, 05:53 AM
This was my problem after doing several months CO washing. I think that I was doing something missing or wrong, so I can't help about CO washing:(.

Now I wash the lentghs CO and wash the scalp with very diluted shampoo, being sure that all my scalp washed. My scalp is not itchy anymore HTH

Narya
December 15th, 2011, 06:04 AM
My scalp goes the other way around, itchy when shampooing, calm when CO. Anyway, I third the tea tree oil suggestion, and ACV rinses (keeping with them if you are already doing them or starting them if you don't). Just be careful with tea tree oil, because it can be really drying: I put one or two drops on my shampoo or conditioner (when I was S/C, some years ago) to kill lice, and just needed one wash this way to get rid of them, so it can be harsh on some things.

Copasetic
December 15th, 2011, 06:55 AM
This was my problem after doing several months CO washing. I think that I was doing something missing or wrong, so I can't help about CO washing:(.

Now I wash the lentghs CO and wash the scalp with very diluted shampoo, being sure that all my scalp washed. My scalp is not itchy anymore HTH

I think I am going to start doing something like this. I have tried CO many times and every time it goes ok for a while, and then I start getting really itchy and I notice buildup and flakes on my scalp. The worst.

hypersensitive
December 15th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hmm what dilution ratio should I use if I try the tea tree oil?

cheetahfast
December 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Hmm what dilution ratio should I use if I try the tea tree oil?

I don't know my exact ratio. I use a 1/2 a tablespoon of EVOO, 1/2 tablespoon of castor, and a few drops, maybe 3, or tea tree oil. I massage it in well.

Amber_Maiden
December 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I think I am going to start doing something like this. I have tried CO many times and every time it goes ok for a while, and then I start getting really itchy and I notice buildup and flakes on my scalp. The worst.

same here....:(

dulce
December 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I can't do CO only,I get an itchy scalp which hurts if I touch it, scalp pimples and tons of shedding.My scalp is happiest and healthiest with daily wash with a moisturizing shampoo and a good conditioner after.Co only, is not for everyone.Find what works best for your hair and do it.We are not all alike.