PDA

View Full Version : Hair product organizing -- on computer

DarthCynthia
December 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I was just spending the morning organizing a lot of things using Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/), and I wondered if anyone else uses that program to keep tons of their hair-related things organized?

It dawned on me that I currently don't do a lot hair-related -- I'm pretty simple with my products, routines, and hairtoys -- but in the beginning, I sure could have used Evernote!

For those who aren't familiar with Evernote, it's an awesome way to save things for easy access, especially if you have a smart phone. You can tag things, create notebooks, save and store photos, webpages, lists, notes. To be honest, I'm constantly discovering new ways to use it. I might even tell my husband to start a notebook for his hair care -- and we can share it so I can view it as well.

It's difficult for me to describe it so simply here. I could go on and on, but like I said there are tons of uses and things I haven't even thought of yet. One of the things that would have been handy in the past was having the Cone-free list saved on Evernote so I could just pull out my iPhone and check the list quickly. The old paper print out list that's been in my purse for the past several years is worn out.

I just thought I'd see who else uses it and find out if there are some things I haven't considered before that might be fun to include with a hair care notebook.

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
That sounds pretty cool!

Wish I had a smartphone :(

DarthCynthia
December 13th, 2011, 09:53 AM
It's so handy! I also use the iPhone to take photos of products I want to research or purchase later. I started using it to organize business cards I was given, so I didn't have to hang onto stacks of them... now I seem to use it for almost everything! I'm still in the process of taking photos of the backs of my sewing patterns, so if I find a good fabric on sale I can look up the pattern and see how much I should get.

Pidge
December 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I recently started using Evernote to record my "hair experiments" and ideas for what to try next. It's great. You don't need a smartphone to use it, but it does help. There's an add-on available (at least, there is in the Chrome browser), that allows you to clip and save pages, images or articles, so whenever I see a new up-do or technique I want to try, right into Evernote it goes!
Plus, with a smartphone, you can take pictures (i.e. successful or failed results) and create a note right there.
It definitely makes keeping track much easier!

Pidge
December 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM
It's so handy! I'm still in the process of taking photos of the backs of my sewing patterns, so if I find a good fabric on sale I can look up the pattern and see how much I should get.
That is a brilliant idea! I might have to steal it:)

DarthCynthia
December 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
That is a brilliant idea! I might have to steal it:)

Go for it! :D Also, another thing I'm trying to get into the habit of doing is taking a photo of the end of the bolt for content and washing instructions when I buy fabric.

Along the hair thing, I bet keeping track of hair toys, updo's, and lengths would be interesting. At what point did a certain hair toy/updo combo stop working. That sort of thing. Maybe even tips to add to each note about changes you had to make to ensure something kept working as your hair changed length.

One of the things I'm going to talk about with my husband is leave-ins and other products for curly hair. He's always interested in trying something, but stares at the shelves for a while until he's too overwhelmed and walks away. I think having a little product list of his own, with notes about how he can use each product or what he likes/hates about it would be good.

For myself, my hair goes through stages and sometimes it takes me a few tries to remember what I did last time or last year to fix it.

I definitely love the web-clipping add on for browsers. I'm always window shopping online and making wishlists, so it gets a lot of use.