PDA

View Full Version : Frizz from plaits?

KatyS
December 13th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Hi everyone, so I'm sure the title is very self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyway.

Basically, when I put my hair in plaits (braids) overnight, or indeed anytime, whenever I take them out the length that has been braided always feels coarse and rough and looks frizzy :( Even if I use oil it sometimes does the same thing, It's very frustrating :(

Does anyone have any advice?

Thankyou in advance!
:flower:

KatyS
December 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Anyone? Or is my problem easily solved by providing my hair with more moisture? :/

pepperminttea
December 13th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Before I take out my sleep braid I rub 1 spritz of Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) between my palms and squeeze it down the length of my braid, using whatever's left on my hands on the scalp frizzies. (I also gently comb just the braid tassel before I take it out, which helps for me, since the ends always seem to tangle overnight somehow.) That really seems to minimise the frizz a bit. :)

DancingQueen
December 13th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I have the same problem, but I noticed it is worse after I oil, so I would not recommend oiling it more (but I am not an expert). Maybe bun waves will work better for you?Or those cocoon curls that was posted a while ago. :)

|Xei
December 13th, 2011, 04:19 AM
I'm not sure why it would feel coarse or rough...but regarding the frizz, do you brush your hair out after taking out the braids? If you do, that's probably why your hair becomes frizzy. It's usually best to just fingercomb after unbraiding.

Gvnagitlvgei
December 13th, 2011, 07:16 AM
You're just basically texturizing the hair with the braid pattern. Try it in a high bun with twisted hair to keep it tame during sleep.

Madora
December 13th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Your hair should not feel coarse or rough after braiding. I think the culprit might be what you're using on your hair.

Also, it is better for your ends if you don't braid all the way down.

Are you braiding too tightly?

Lastly, you might try braiding with a scarf and see if that lessens your coarseness/rough problems.

ravenreed
December 13th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I spritz my hair with rose water after I take it out of a braid. This reduces frizz and adds some moisture.

Kimberlily's Defrizzing Spray is a disaster on my hair. I can't use glycerin or aloe vera gel without my hair drying out and split ends appearing within a few days. I think that spray is best used in areas with humidity.

Gumball
December 13th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Some of the frizz can also be caused simply by your hair's natural layers. Even blunt cuts have layers due to the cycle of hair growth, where individual follicles have their own cycle of growth, shedding, and regrowth. Over time, when the braids move against something, naturally friction happens. Some of that friction can move around hair that is too short to reach the end of your braid, and cause it to pop out and greet the world. I have curly hair, so my hair loves doing that. I get a good case of Chia Braid if I let my braid hang down for a length of time, sleep included.

Because you have hair in various stages of growth, the shorter pieces simply aren't long enough to reach where you've tied it off, so the only thing securing them in the braid was going along with the surrounding hair. If it's loosened just a bit, it may dislodge from the last fold it was in and wave around. Multiply that by a bunch of other hairs in the same situation and you've got yourself "frizz".

jojo
December 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Heck I hate braids sometimes for this but I use Inecto leave in conditioner spray before removing my braids and it helps.

Rilig
December 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Maybe you should roll the braid into a bun before sleeping. Maybe your a rough sleeper and the loose braid gets flung around and rubbed under you.

Hawthorne
December 17th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone, so I'm sure the title is very self-explanatory, but I'll explain anyway.

Basically, when I put my hair in plaits (braids) overnight, or indeed anytime, whenever I take them out the length that has been braided always feels coarse and rough and looks frizzy :( Even if I use oil it sometimes does the same thing, It's very frustrating :(
:flower:

I'm finding the same thing - and I think it's actually worse when I oil it instead of leaving it alone.

I've tried brushing / combing / finger combing and it doesn't make much difference.

Coconut oil seems the worst for me (which kind-of makes sense as in my soap making days it was notorious for being the most drying oil).

I have found an oil, meant to be for massage, that's mostly almond oil, and that seems to leave it pretty smooth and happy.

MychelleC
December 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
It could be a friction issue. In a braid the hair is pressed closely together and movement is restricted. The hairs have no choice but to rub against each other as you move. Asleep at night, with tossing and turning and pulling against the pillow, the friction is exacerbated. A nice cream prior to braiding might help (i.e. John Frieda Secret Weapon). I don't braid at night because I end up with a tangled frizzy mess.

spidermom
December 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I get best results if I do my sleep braid at the top of my head and direct it over the top of my pillow. Otherwise I roll around too much and all the hairs that work their way out of my braid tangle up with each other; it's a mess!

Contrary to Madora, I think it's best if you do braid all the way to the end if you can. It makes the waves look prettier, too.

Also - don't comb or brush if you're going to be wearing your hair down.

KatyS
December 18th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies!!

So, as a general reply to all your points .... :
Unfortunately I don't brush it out, it's the individual waves themselves which frizz all on their own!

As suggested, I think I may have to opt for that when sleeping, because as Rilig said, I do move around a lot in my sleep!

MychelleC and Gumball; your points make a lot of sense: especially Gumball's, as my hair not only has layers it as previously RAZORED layers!!! (I think I may have found the problem... :p)

Seeing as I don't actually use anything in my hair generally before I braid it (with the exception of occasionally coconut oil), I think I need to have a little hair pampering session! The dry and damaged state of the majority of my hair is probably a key factor haha!

Thankyou everyone for replying! :) Much appreciated :)

Darkessa
December 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I have the same issue... I finally felt comfortable putting my semi short hair into a braid overnight, but when I did I HATED how it felt in the morning.
I went straight back to my "Fan Bun", which is literally just a bun on the tippy top of my head. Ive heard its adorable...
Its waaaaay better for me personally, plus it gives me very slight waves when I wake up. :)

KatyS
December 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Oooh all these buns to try out!

By the way, I think I may have found a solution!! MOISTURE and TLC. I henna glossed my hair with Lush Caca Marron, only 1 1/2 squares for an hour, but wow, was my hair soft after! :D Clearly my hair loves cocoa butter; just another reason for me to justify buying some ;)