PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions/help

DancingQueen
December 13th, 2011, 03:41 AM
ETA: I have started to do a CO after working out, and I love my curls. Problem is, that I have a hard time getting all the conditioner out of my hair, so the roots always look a little greasy. Does anyone know how to get it all out? Any advise is welcome. :)

So, I am not completely sure what to do right now, so I thought I would ask all the smart people here at LHC. :)

I am wondering wether I should start washing my hair more often. Currently, I wash my hair every 3 days - my routine is:

Day 1: Oil overnight
Day 2: Wash hair, let air dry
Day 3: Nothing

But, on day 3, my hair always start to look a little nasty, and it does not smell as good as the other days. It is not horrible, but It is not as nice as I want it to be. And I work out every other day, which I suspect is a part of the reason.

On the other hand, my hairdresser always told me that curly hair is more fragile and dry than straight hair, so I should not was every day.

My question for you is: Would it be that horrible if I started to wash my hair every other day? I Do not use cones or sulfates.

Sorry if it is a little long, but I thought I would have to explain properly. Thank you for reading. :)

MonaLisa
December 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM
You could try different oil maybe. Olive oil is amazing for me too, but it never washes off 100% and therefore hair looks bit nasty the 3rd day.
It's normal that smell gets less intense, but I don't see that as a problem.
Personally, I wouldn't wash every other day. Brushing it can help, or simply wear it up the 3rd day.

pepperminttea
December 13th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Wash your hair as often or as little as you think it needs it, but could you do a WO (water only) wash after you work out? :) That would help wash away the sweat so the scent doesn't hang around. You could also put a few drops of perfume or essential oils into a spray bottle, fill it with water, and use it as a spritz on your hair to make it smell nice - just be sure to shake the bottle before you use it.

DancingQueen
December 13th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I guess I could do a WO, I actually considered it. But when it have to get wet anyway, why not just wash it? I have oil and honey in my conditioner by the way, and I use a moisturizing shampoo. The oil I use to oil my hair is a mix of caster oil and other oils, and I would be oiling more as well. :)

DancingQueen
December 13th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Noone else? :)

Mina17
December 13th, 2011, 05:07 AM
I guess I could do a WO, I actually considered it. But when it have to get wet anyway, why not just wash it? I have oil and honey in my conditioner by the way, and I use a moisturizing shampoo. The oil I use to oil my hair is a mix of caster oil and other oils, and I would be oiling more as well. :)

Well, shampooing can be drying, even with a "moisturizing" shampoo. I suspect that's why WO was recommended.

Emme76
December 13th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Before I started to use dry schampoo - my hair tended to look a bit tasty between washes. And I used to much oil when I was oiling it.

So perhaps - try to use a bit less oil. And maybe another kind. and if you havenīt tried dry schampoo - it might be something to use on your roots to freshen things up between washed.

But if you feel like washing every other day - go for it. Try and see what happens. :)

CurlyMopTop
December 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I wash every other day with shampoo/conditioner (diluted) and do a diluted CO rinse on the days in between for a refresher. My hair doesn't seem to like oils or stretching washes. When I wear my hair up, which is most days, I only use a little conditioner as a leave-in. The days that I leave my hair down I use a little curl defining product of some kind. I never brush except to smooth my hair for braids or buns. I don't even use a detangler comb anymore, just my fingers. I clarify once a week with bs/diluted lemon rinse followed by a more moisturizing conditioner. This is what my hair seems to like, so I'm sticking with it! :D If your hair likes oils and stretching washes, maybe consider doing a diluted CO rinse as a refresher instead of your usual wash on the second or third day. :D Then adjust your routine from there. You don't need to feel bad about though, the most important thing is to keep an eye on your hair and see how it reacts, then adjust as needed. I hope this helps.

Madora
December 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Since you have to shampoo more frequently, have you tried diluting both your shampoo and your conditioner?

Also, I'd leave off with the pre shampoo oiling if at all possible. If you find you have to oil, then try only once a week.

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Why not CO?

Maelyssa
December 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I definitely think it's worth experimenting with washing every other day. My suggestion, though, would be to get a bottle that you can use to dilute the shampoo with & use the diluted shampoo every other day. I wouldn't decrease conditioner use as you have curly hair that craves moisture. Also, perhaps making your washing routine CWC would help further protect the curls while washing frequently. Good luck!

DancingQueen
December 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hey everyone, thank you for so many great suggestions. I'm sorry I did not answer earlier, but I am in the process of changing internet provider (don't know how to say that in english?) and for some reason the new internet did not want me to go to LHC. :mad:

Anyways, today I tried to do a WO, and while it was still wet, I applied a bit of castor oil mix and combed through with my Tangle Teezer. Then I braided it until dry. It wasn't the best result, but I think there might be a solution. :)

Again, thank you for all your help. :)

ellisbell
December 19th, 2011, 12:33 PM
So, I am not completely sure what to do right now, so I thought I would ask all the smart people here at LHC. :)

I am wondering wether I should start washing my hair more often. Currently, I wash my hair every 3 days - my routine is:

Day 1: Oil overnight
Day 2: Wash hair, let air dry
Day 3: Nothing

But, on day 3, my hair always start to look a little nasty, and it does not smell as good as the other days. It is not horrible, but It is not as nice as I want it to be. And I work out every other day, which I suspect is a part of the reason.

On the other hand, my hairdresser always told me that curly hair is more fragile and dry than straight hair, so I should not was every day.

My question for you is: Would it be that horrible if I started to wash my hair every other day? I Do not use cones or sulfates.

Sorry if it is a little long, but I thought I would have to explain properly. Thank you for reading. :)
Try co-washing or using a cleansing conditioner every other day. I try to limit shampoo to 1-2 times a week and use my deva no poo on the other days. A lot of curly and wavy people use this method.

WO may not work for a lot of curlies because we really need to put a lot of moisture in our hair (I notice my hair is really dry if I just do WO).

Mannaz
December 19th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I third (?) the suggestion of COing!

hototogisu
December 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Have you tried CWCing? I CWC every other day and it keeps my lengths and scalp happy, but I also don't have curly hair.

Jessibear2854
December 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I third (?) the suggestion of COing!

And I fourth it!:p

jacqueline101
December 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Try using argan oil my hair likes it and helps with frizzy. Try switching shampoo brands.

ladyfey
December 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I wash every other day with no problems, some people just need to wash often and I am one of them!

Hotrox
December 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
me too ^^ I CWC every other day and am curly haired, no problems here! As long as you are gentle and use mild and moisturising products, give it a try - if your hair doesn't like it you can always have another rethink :D

BlazingHeart
December 20th, 2011, 01:32 AM
You might try a rosewater spritz, if you can find or make the real stuff. I'd put it in a spray bottle and apply it to my roots. It both smells good and is a natural toner, so it can help with the roots and scalp not looking great. If you live somewhere that has a Middle Eastern or Indian population, you can often find it in the grocery store with "ethnic food" of those origins, better still if you can find a Middle Eastern or Indian market.

Orangeblossom water works much the same way, though it's harder to find.

The other thing you might consider, instead of a WO wash, is a tea rinse. Either chamomile , rooibos, or black tea can be mildly cleansing without being drying. You'd just wet your head, pour on the tea, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, and rinse out. Chamomile may lighten your hair slightly, and black tea may darken it slightly, but they shouldn't have much affect as long as you're rinsing them out.

~Blaze

jojo
December 20th, 2011, 03:53 AM
id recommend CO washing too, it will keep your hair nice and moisturised and keep it looking bouncy!