PDA

View Full Version : Wearing hair up at night, sore scalp.

alxardnax
December 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hello all!

I am not particularly tenderheaded by any means but I find that if I try to wear my hair up at night in a bun my scalp gets a bit sore in the morning. It is obviously from the hair pulling on my scalp as opposed to my head sleeping on top of the bun and hurting it that way, if that makes sense, because I slept with a bun on top of my head as opposed to on the back or side.

Does anybody have any advice. How do you put up your hair a night?

Thanks!

darklyndsea
December 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Buns pull at my scalp whenever I lie down with them.

I usually do a braid in a sleep cap; sometimes I get lazy and only do one or the other.

Copasetic
December 12th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Don't tie it so tightly. You need to leave it loose enough that you can lie down and move without your hair pinching, but tight enough so that it stays put.

anikadear
December 12th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I put mine in a really loose bun, because I can't stand sleeping with my hair up, but since joining here I've taken to bunning a lot more. But I'm also not the slightest bit tender headed.

Are you wrapping your hair super tight? And you said you sleep with the bun on top? Have you tried on the side or the back? I've done side buns before myself.

Madora
December 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I wear my hair in a loosely braided bun that sits on top of my head:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=104112

I detangle thoroughly, then bend at the waist, bring all my hair in front of me, then loosely braid it 3/4ths of the way down, and coil it on top of my head. The remaining hair gets tucked under the braid. It is pinned with 9 3 inch crimped hairpins.

The secret to a comfortable bunned braid on top of your head is to start the braid loosely, not snugly. Also, if your follicles aren't used to being drawn in the upward position, then your scalp will hurt.

alxardnax
December 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Ahhh, braiding would be a great idea. ha. I see people mention that all the time on here for sleeping but for some reason it escaped my mind.

Btw, Madora, thanks for the picture. That really helps!

I don't tie it tight at all but I think i put it up so loose that is flops around and pulls on my scalp instead of staying in place.

anikadear
December 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I like the braiding idea too. I'm sure once my hair gets longer I'll need to refer back to that method.

jacqueline101
December 12th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I wear mine in a loose bun on top of my head so it won't pull.

sarah061
December 12th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I wear mine in a loose bun on top of my head too, secured with a Goody Spin Pin. I like it because it stays totally out of the way and in the morning I have pretty waves!

I'd like to sleep with it braided because I think there's just something nice about braiding your hair for bed, but alas, the braid waves make my hair quadruple in size. Not good.

lolot
December 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM
i braid it also, because it happens the same to me with the bun, also it get tangled but with the braid is fine :P

gboneske
December 12th, 2011, 11:12 PM
When mine was long long - waist length - I had to braid it as well. On the rare night I slept with it undone it was a MESS. I have woken myself up by rolling over and pinning my hair to the bed.

sycamoreboutiqu
December 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I tie it in a knot. It works pretty well.

I use a silky scrunchie and do a high ponytail - only a few times around so it is loosely held.
Then I start to coil it as if doing a cinnabun - make one full circle then pull the end up through
the donut hole while holding one loop of the pony tie up so it can feed through that too.

That extra bit helps it hold if I don't thrash around too much. I make sure the bun is hanging over the pillow (being held together loosely you can arrange it a bit) and sometimes when I wake up during the night I need to rearrange it to stay over the pillow's edge (silk pillowcase too for sure)

I am at hip or a bit longer - but thick so I can just barely get the end of it pulled through with about 6" of tail but I find it actually stays all night if I put the tail through a loop of the pony holder. Without that step it often falls out.

Other than that - I will also do a loose sleep braid thrown over the edge of the pillow.

I make a high ponytail with a soft scrunchie then I braid somewhat loose but not sloppy - tie off with a soft tie, not an elastic. Then I pull the pony holder down completely off the braid (for this I only use the silky finish kind that glide off easy). This leaves me with a braid that is quite free at the scalp so I don't feel it when I lie down. A traditional braid feels like a lump - even though I am a side sleeper.

Third option when I am too tired to do the others - a segmented pony. It is just a high, loose pony with several more soft pony holders down the length to keep it contained. Looks like a medieval style they did with ribbons, there is a name for it I think. This is quick and easy, usually stays put but I do have to fling it out of the way each time I toss and turn at night.

sycamoreboutiqu
December 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM
PS - I can't imagine sleeping with hair pins in. Ouch ! My hair also has a tendency to
eject hair pins like a jack in the box.

One minute the are in and secure, next they are sproinging all over the place.

newbeginning
December 13th, 2011, 05:52 AM
A bun pulls my hair too so I just braid it.

UP Lisa
December 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I sleep with a braid tucked into my shirt or gown.

SpinDance
December 13th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I learned the hard way that if I make a bun too high on my head it forced the hair to go against its natural direction and that hurts me. I liked the idea of having my hair all up on top of my head, but it just hurts too much, day or night, to wear it that way for any length of time. I'm a side sleeper mostly, so I make a nautilus bun held with a medium Flexi in a position that the bun will be comfortable for me then only have the Flexi go underneath the base, barely into the scalp hair at all. This way it won't pull, although it will sort of unwind some. The unwinding isn't a big deal as it makes the Flexi be positioned a bit more vertically, instead of just horizontally, so it doesn't poke into the pillow. If it loosens up too much and tries to fall out I just rewind it back up and re-clip it, no problem.

I usually use a large Flexi for a nautilus bun, but for sleeping the medium works better since it's smaller and doesn't stick out the sides so much.

anikadear
December 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
When mine was long long - waist length - I had to braid it as well. On the rare night I slept with it undone it was a MESS. I have woken myself up by rolling over and pinning my hair to the bed.

Ahahahaha! I've done this before. You try to get up and alas,your hair is pinned under you.

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I put mine up in a top knot, but most of the time I do a low ponytail. My scalp just hurts too much by the end up the day- I always wear my hair up during the day.

white.chocolate
December 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I never bun at night. I leave it in a loose English braid.

catamonica
December 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I wear a braided low bun. Use bobby pins. No pain at all.

Chamomile betty
December 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I am so tender headed. Once my hair got past BS I had to sleep in a long pony secured at nape and ends. High buns are too heavy and I like to give my scalp a rest.