PDA

View Full Version : How to french braid

LeninCap
December 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hello I'm new here. I have read a lot of the stuff on long hair community for a few months before joining. It inspired me to learn to braid lol. am not very good at normal braids much but I would like to learn how to french braid.

No videos please because as I said on my biography page I am blind, no need to make a big deal about it. I just need some detailed instructions.
Thank you!!

Madora
December 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hello I'm new here. I have read a lot of the stuff on long hair community for a few months before joining. It inspired me to learn to braid lol. am not very good at normal braids much but I would like to learn how to french braid.

No videos please because as I said on my biography page I am blind, no need to make a big deal about it. I just need some detailed instructions.
Thank you!!

Welcome, LeninCap.

I would urge you to learn how to do both regular English and Dutch braiding BEFORE tackling any French braiding. If you know how to do both techniques well, the French braiding will come more easily.

French braiding - either the underhand technique ..i.e. "Dutch" french braiding which forms a ridge on your scalp, and the "English" French braid which melts into your scalp hair relies on your familiarity of regular 3 strand braiding.

French braiding technique is braiding by adding hair to the outtermost section of the braid--both on the right side and the left side.

Since French braiding can be a bit of a workout for muscles unaccustomed to working on the back of your head, you might try this shortcut:

1) Make a horizontal part from the top of your left ear, around the back of your head, to the top of your right ear.

2) Take all the hair above the part, comb it out gently, then clip it into place with a hair friendly barrette. Comb out the hair so that there are no tangles.

3) Take the hair in the clip and divide it into 3 sections.

Take the left section and cross it over the middle section.
Take the right section and cross it over the middle section.

Be sure to take your fingers and gently go down the sections to make sure they are not tangled at the ends.

4) Take a small sliver of hair from the far right of your loose hair and join it to the far right (the outter) section of the braid in the clip.

5) Once the section has been added in, then cross it over the middle section strand. (You'll need to use your fingers to hold the sections in place)

6) Take a small sliver of hair from the far left of your loose hair and join it to the far LEFT (outter) section of the braid in the clip.

7) Once the section has been added in, then cross it over the middle section strand (use your fingers to hold the strands in place).

Continue on down the braid, adding small slivers of hair from both the right and left sides.

When there is no more hair to add, then just finish the braid by a regular 3 strand plait (either Dutch or English) and tie off with a hair friendly elastic.

Every time you add hair, or make a cross over, be sure to bring your fingers down thru the strands so that the ends stay tangle free.

LeninCap
December 12th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks so much!