PDA

View Full Version : I've decided I don't want to live without heat styling anymore.

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Around the time I started here I decided to stop heat styling and coloring my hair. After trying it for about a year I've come to the conclusion that I'm just simply not fond of my natural curl pattern. It looks terrible on me and I spend all my time fighting with it or just throwing it in a pinless bun and am not having any fun with my hair, and have even grown to resent it a little.

It's frizzy, it tangles like mad, the ends felt and end up breaking and never looks good. I can't wear it down because it looks awful and I don't feel very good about myself or the way I look when it's curly.

I like it when it's been set in rollers or flat ironed, and that's just about it. Braid waves on me never turn out, despite my being a good braider, I have too much hair to realistically be able to use sock curls on a regular basis, and I've tried, over the course of a year to find alternatives to heat styling, and have not been even remotely satisfied.

While I prefer roller setting, it's not condusive to my lifestyle at the moment. There's no room for my hood drier and with the long hours I work, it's just not something that can reasonably be kept up, plus, with my hair at tailbone length, it's just about impossible to roll it the way I like it on my own (stuborn curl pattern has to be pulled a certain way or the roots curl and just look ugly and end up messing up the whole style, and I can't do it on my own)

It's gotten to the point where I consider it a chore to detangle it when it's curly because it mats (mostly due to color / texture damage inflicted leading up to and during cosmetology school.) and have decided that, until my color damage grows out, at the very least, I'm going to heat style again.

I feel I have a right to enjoy my hair. After all I spend every single day with it, and I'm just not doing that right now.

The first time I heat styled after a long stint without it, I felt almost guilty. I've worked so hard to get where I am. My hair is the longest it's ever been and the healthiest it's been since I was 12. I know that's in part due to the fact that I've just been leaving it alone, and I'd been feeling guilty that I'm giving that up. I've strugled with feeling like I'm giving up what's gotten me to where I am, but the last few times I heat styled, I didn't shed hardly any hair, and there was virtually no breakage, so I'm over that now. I refuse to feel guilty about enjoying my hair, and liking the way I look.

While I'm going to keep with not coloring my hair (My natural color has grown on me, literally and figuratively, and I now enjoy it quite a bit), heat styling is just simply going to be part of my week, and I'm ok with that.

Here's to actually enjoying our hair :toast:

Hollyfire3
December 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for someone finnally saying this! I want to flat iron my hair sooo bad! It is thick and i hate the curl! But, i will try to last longer than 3 months because this is the longest i have gone without heat...if only i knew how to make it look good, heres to you, smart enough to not deprive yourself of something you love!

Loviatar
December 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Nobody is going to do you down just for heat styling your own hair. And if they do, it's your hair, not theirs. :flower:

I blow dry mine sometimes. I don't like sitting around in winter with wet hair. I use a low heat setting because my hair's short.

Enjoying your hair is what it's for. Never apologise for enjoying your own hair.

einna
December 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I think enjoying your hair is one of the most imporant things! And now you have tried no heat and found out that it is not for you! That is ok =)

Tia2010
December 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I agree with the others... No one will fault you for enjoying your own hair! I also gave up heat styling when I joined a little over a year ago but now that I'm back to work I find I do have to curl my hair some days to make it look the way I want.

I felt guilty at first because I felt I have come so far and didn't want to "undo" all the good I had done for my hair. But I also know It's just something I'm going to have to do sometimes.

I just try to limit other damage as much as I can. I let it air dry so I am limiting the amount of heat. And on the rare occasion I do use my dryer, I use low/cool settings. I also have decided to only try to go to hip/tailbone knowing that I can probably manage that length while still coloring and occasional heat use.

If styling it is what you have to do to enjoy your hair then do it!! :D

LeninCap
December 12th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Good for you. It is your choice.

I personally dont understand heat styling, most hair I've felt was so nice when it's just left alone.

Amber_Maiden
December 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Good for you for deciding! It's your hair, not anyone elses. You make your own choices.

I used to love the way my hair looked straight, but it really damaged my hair, so I gave it up.

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for someone finnally saying this! I want to flat iron my hair sooo bad! It is thick and i hate the curl! But, i will try to last longer than 3 months because this is the longest i have gone without heat...if only i knew how to make it look good, heres to you, smart enough to not deprive yourself of something you love!

:) Thanks

I'm currently sitting here with my hair flat ironed & the ends curled (with my flat iron) and I love it. I love everything about it except that it doesn't just grow out of my head this way.

I went a year, only heat styling for special occasions, and I'm so done.

Nobody is going to do you down just for heat styling your own hair. And if they do, it's your hair, not theirs. :flower:

I blow dry mine sometimes. I don't like sitting around in winter with wet hair. I use a low heat setting because my hair's short.

Enjoying your hair is what it's for. Never apologise for enjoying your own hair.

I should hope they wouldn't :) I just know it's done some really nice things to my hair, not having the heat on. I also know that this is going to be a setback, and will give me more damage I have to grow out, which is going to put more time between me and my goal of healthy, and virgin at fingertip. That's the main reason I feel bad, not because of what anyone else will think, but thank you for your support =^_^=

I tell myself that the damage / breakage is pretty much on the ends, which are thin from having been dyed & bleached anyway, and that I'm really pretty much damaging what's already damaged and is already on the chopping block, so to speak. I know I am also damaging my virgin hair, but for the time being I'm just going to have to accept that.

A. Correira
December 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I think that you sould do what makes you happy! I talk to my husband all the time about my hair, and I want to keep mine very healthy until it is the length that I want it, and then I want to try new colors and things like that. I just think, what is the point of growing beautiful hair if you aren't going to do anything with it?

Achtland
December 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Here's what I do to feel the "best of both worlds" - I used to blowdry/straighten/dye religiously. Now I just do it on the odd weekend, or when we go out :) So with my semi-hermit lifestyle that means that right now my hair is only ever seeing a blowdryer between 2-4 times a month, if that in some cases! Just do your hair when you wanna go out and look/feel good :) On days in take care of it the way you know best.

Just because someone is on a diet, doesn't mean they can't have a cheat day every once in a while ;) Same goes for hair! If it feels good do it.

MonaLisa
December 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Just one thing to add....not only heat styling = enjoying your hair.
I love letting it air dry and natural texture...and how it might change due to oils, detangling...whatever.

But I definitely agree, you should do what makes you happy, and don't feel guilty! :) cheers!

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Good for you. It is your choice.

I personally dont understand heat styling, most hair I've felt was so nice when it's just left alone.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's about both feel (both kinds, emotional and the physical feel of the hair) and look. I really dislike the way I look and feel with curly hair. It's huge, it's messy, it's hot (not the good way.. I mean it makes the back of my neck, and the spot between my shoulder blades sweat, which makes my whole body warm & uncomfortable) and it tangles so badly that I end up with a hamster sized ball of hair after taking an hour and a half to detangle it, and I'm very nice to my hair during detangling. When I detangle my hair after washing after it's been heat styled, it doesn't tangle as badly.

Not to mention I always look like I've just been in a wind tunnel when my hair's curly. I hate to use the "u" word, but when it's curly, I feel ugly. I see these beautiful curls on other people, but on me, they don't look right, and I've come to accept that my natural curl pattern just isn't for me.

Also, I like to run my fingers through my hair. I can't do that when it's curly.

Once I get to the point where I can justify to myself buying the Brazilian Blowout solution (I'm a licensed hairdresser certified in BB) that will drastically cut down the amount of heat styling necessary to make myself presentable.

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Here's what I do to feel the "best of both worlds" - I used to blowdry/straighten/dye religiously. Now I just do it on the odd weekend, or when we go out :) So with my semi-hermit lifestyle that means that right now my hair is only ever seeing a blowdryer between 2-4 times a month, if that in some cases! Just do your hair when you wanna go out and look/feel good :) On days in take care of it the way you know best.

Just because someone is on a diet, doesn't mean they can't have a cheat day every once in a while ;) Same goes for hair! If it feels good do it.

Yeah, I only wash my hair once a week, so it'll only get heat styled once a week.

Lianna
December 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM
A lot of people in my country use a round brush to straighten their curly hair with a hair dryer. Those that can get it to straight (1b/1c) can avoid a lot of damage and still have nicely styled hair (and faster than braid-outs and such). I think you should try it, you haven't said how you heat style so here's my tip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LvOdDv04Yw&list=PLA37EBC3AF31C333F&index=95&feature=plpp_video).

To enjoying hair! Sensibly. ;)

Kiwiwi
December 12th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Have you tried the curly girl method?
I used to for years feel like you do now. Until I found the curly girl method/handbook. My curls are simply awesome. Shiny, bouncy, beautiful. I detangle in the shower with conditioner in it (cos yes, it's hard to detangle curls in a gentle way when it's dry and not saturated with conditioner).
I really want to suggest you buying the book ^_^

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 05:16 PM
A lot of people in my country use a round brush to straighten their curly hair with a hair dryer. Those that can get it to straight (1b/1c) can avoid a lot of damage and still have nicely styled hair (and faster than braid-outs and such). I think you should try it, you haven't said how you heat style so here's my tip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LvOdDv04Yw&list=PLA37EBC3AF31C333F&index=95&feature=plpp_video).

To enjoying hair! Sensibly. ;)

My hair doesn't respond well to just round brushing. It just puffs, and if I wanted it puffy, I would just let it air dry & do whatever it wanted to haha ;)

I'm a hairdresser, and am very good with a round brush, but it just doesn't work with my hair. I section it off, put some coney heat protectant in it and let it air dry and then flat iron it to lessen the damage.

Anywhere
December 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Good for you. I'm a little shocked you would go so long hating your hair before going back to be honest. If it was my hair and I was you, I wouldn't have lasted as long. :p

Might not be able to successfully grow to fingertip though, depending on how sturdy your hair is.
I know you only plan on straightening about once a week, but keeping in mind your hair will be at least [ETA] at fingertip, maybe 6~8 or so years old (well. My hair is brushing TBL and it is like 5, maybe 6 years old. I grow half an inch/mo)
it would be the damage of straightening 3~4 times a week.

p.s. we're roundbrush puff twins. :p
My hairdresser always had to flat iron the bush of my hair after trying to blowdry it straight.

Torrin Paige
December 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM
No matter what, you should love your hair. If it takes a flat iron or hot rollers to do it, then so be it. I love my hair dryer. I'm one of those that can get it pretty straight with just the dryer and a round brush. If it didn't take so damned long to flat iron my hair, I would do it all the time. Seriously. I love the way it looks and feels after being flat-ironed, I'm just too lazy to mess with it that much.

Oh, and an FYI: My mom still get highlights, she washes every other day, and then blows it dry and flat-irons it...and her hair has finally passed waist length. It is shiny and beautiful. I think it just depends on your hair.

Lianna
December 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Have you tried the curly girl method

She said she likes to run her fingers through the hair, I'm the same way. We can't do that with the Curly Girl method. I do it sometimes for a special occassion but wash my hair soon as I get home...I'm sorry but I hate the feeling of my hair with this method. She most likely tried since she's been here for a year.

About the round brush poufing, I have it too, but a few minutes of hair pressed into a cinnabun takes care of my poofiness. And I even oil it after that, a medium amount of oil. In fact my blow-dried hair needs more oil than my natural wurlies.

You can also try to sleep in wraps, which is very common with latin women (like myself) and african american. You should find some videos on YouTube. I'm personally gonna research silk wrap, since it's a new term to me. :)

Like you said, your ends are becoming thinner. If you want to maintain length I wouldn't risk it too much, specially with a brazilian blow out...I think once a week flat iron can be sustainable once your hair is virgin and damage-free.

Anywhere
December 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
She said she likes to run her fingers through the hair, I'm the same way. We can't do that with the Curly Girl method. I do it sometimes for a special occassion but wash my hair soon as I get home...I'm sorry but I hate the feeling of my hair with this method. She most likely tried since she's been here for a year.

About the round brush poufing, I have it too, but a few minutes of hair pressed into a cinnabun takes care of my poofiness. And I even oil it after that, a medium amount of oil. In fact my blow-dried hair needs more oil than my natural wurlies.

You can also try to sleep in wraps, which is very common with latin women (like myself) and african american. You should find some videos on YouTube. I'm personally gonna research silk wrap, since it's a new term to me. :)

Like you said, your ends are becoming thinner. If you want to maintain length I wouldn't risk it too much, specially with a brazilian blow out...I think once a week flat iron can be sustainable once your hair is virgin and damage-free.

This. My hair looks like poop (frizzy, poopy, bleh) when I flat iron it now. It only looks good straight when I wrap it. I don't know what a Brazilian blow out is,
if it is chemicals then you won't be having virgin hair, correct? (not sure if you, OP, were the one who said they wanted virgin hair or if I am confusing you with another poster)

and I can run my fingers through my hair with the CG method. I use AVG instead of actual gel though.
OP doesn't like curly hair on herself though.

Hollyfire3
December 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM

My hair puffs like crazy with a blow dryer and any kind of brush, or just the blow dryer in general, i hate it and i hate my puffy curls, any way to get silky straight hair without heat?

spidermom
December 12th, 2011, 05:36 PM
You may have to sacrifice your length goal to heat styling, but if you're o.k. with that, then why not?

Anywhere
December 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
My hair puffs like crazy with a blow dryer and any kind of brush, or just the blow dryer in general, i hate it and i hate my puffy curls, any way to get silky straight hair without heat?

Wrapping. Youtube it for tutorials.

I can't get it to look nice unless I wet wrap my hair. I have no idea how on earth women can dry wrap. :confused:

and I googled the blow-out thing. Not sure if this is a reliable site or not but have you seen this? http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/news/20110907/fda-brazilian-blowout-hair-straightener-is-dangerous

Not to discourage you but I think it would be healthier for you to just straighten it once a week. :eek:

spidermom
December 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM
My hair can get fluffy with blow-drying, too, but if I then put it into one of those multi-banded ponytails (a hair tie about every 2 inches down the length) and leave it like that for about 15 minutes, it calms down. I just have to be careful not to put the ties on too tight because they cause creases.

Lianna
December 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Yes, brazilian blow-out is a chemical procedure (I'm actually brazilian). And some people can run the fingers through their hair with gel (or aloe gel), that's not the issue, what I meant was that we "can't" because it would ruin the style.

My everyday style is just a little bit of oil on hair that was dryed in either a soft loose pony or half-up. But I do blow-dry with a round brush whenever I feel like it. Even when I had long hair in my teens. But life isn't as easy anymore, and all the time to put into heat styling can be a hassle for me (I wash everyday).

xoxophelia
December 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM
If your ends are causing so many problems and have damage from what happened previously, you could even have a cut so you can heat style and wear your natural texture worry free.

Anywhere
December 12th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Yes, brazilian blow-out is a chemical procedure (I'm actually brazilian). And some people can run the fingers through their hair with gel (or aloe gel), that's not the issue, what I meant was that we "can't" because it would ruin the style.

My everyday style is just a little bit of oil on hair that was dryed in either a soft loose pony or half-up. But I do blow-dry with a round brush whenever I feel like it. Even when I had long hair in my teens. But life isn't as easy anymore, and all the time to put into heat styling can be a hassle for me (I wash everyday).

I use the CG method.
I run my fingers through my hair.
It does not mess up my hair. It ends up looking pretty much exactly the same.

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Have you tried the curly girl method?
I used to for years feel like you do now. Until I found the curly girl method/handbook. My curls are simply awesome. Shiny, bouncy, beautiful. I detangle in the shower with conditioner in it (cos yes, it's hard to detangle curls in a gentle way when it's dry and not saturated with conditioner).
I really want to suggest you buying the book ^_^

I did try curly girl. It was on my list of options to try (I had a notebook full of ideas of what I could do to my hair to not have to flat iron it) It's part of what made me realize I don't like my curls.

My hair loved it. It brought back the silky feel I had as a child, and I've incorporated parts of it into my routine, but I've realized curls aren't for me. Perhaps when I get my virgin hair back, and the damage (read: bits that are so damaged they no longer curl, thank you, cosmetology school.) on the ends is no longer, I'll try it again, but for now, I'm going to stick with the flat iron. :)

Anywhere
December 12th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I did try curly girl. It was on my list of options to try (I had a notebook full of ideas of what I could do to my hair to not have to flat iron it) It's part of what made me realize I don't like my curls.

My hair loved it. It brought back the silky feel I had as a child, and I've incorporated parts of it into my routine, but I've realized curls aren't for me. Perhaps when I get my virgin hair back, and the damage (read: bits that are so damaged they no longer curl, thank you, cosmetology school.) on the ends is no longer, I'll try it again, but for now, I'm going to stick with the flat iron. :)

If you don't like the curls, you don't like the curls. I'm sure how they look around your face can give you an idea of how they'd look. on a daily basis. Some people just don't like curls.

Wrapping my hair straight gives me the same silky feel as the CG method does. Flat irons used to give me a silky feel as well.

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 06:02 PM

Some people consider it a chemical proceedure, some don't. I personally don't count it because of it's temporary nature. In time it does wash out of the hair, and it does so faster if you use sulfate shampoo, which I don't.

I'm currently struggling with whether I want to start using it now or if I want to wait until my hair is at my first goal length (as long as it is now, but with zero color damage). Mainly what I'm growing out is the cringe-worthy bleach breakage / color damage I acquired before and during cosmetology school.

If your ends are causing so many problems and have damage from what happened previously, you could even have a cut so you can heat style and wear your natural texture worry free.
This is what I'm in the process of doing, but I don't want to do so in one step. I don't want to give up length at this point, since this is the longest my hair has ever been, and I've fought tooth and nail to get here. I would have to go from past tailbone, creeping toward classic back to somewhere between BSL and waist, which I'm not willing to do.

My length is the only thing that's kept me motivated even in the slightest, and I don't want to give that up.

jojo
December 12th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Heck don't feel guilty! I am the first to admit to doing the odd straightening, I like my hair straight for a change! I just compromise and let it dry naturally and then give it a straightening. I only do it say 5 times a year, which is still an improvement of when my hair was long before!

I do a few deep conditioning's after my heat, my hairs holding up well! hair is for enjoying, using heat every now and again isnt going to do too much damage. Its all about consistency, do it too much and yes you will see damage but as long as you treat it well the rest of the time; its O.K.!

Sunsailing
December 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Each person's hair responds differently to heat styling.
Some people seem to get very little damage from heat styling and can grow their hair to extreme lengths. Others seem to get a lot of damage.

InTheCity
December 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Me too!

In fact, I just got a Brazilian blowout. I know, crazy talk, but I haven't found a single strand of damage and love the way it looks :D

If you can't be happy with your hair, what's the point? Go girl!

katsrevenge
December 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Eh, your hair do as you like. There may be trade offs.. but that is life for ya! :)

|Xei
December 12th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I feel I have a right to enjoy my hair. After all I spend every single day with it, and I'm just not doing that right now.

Of course you do! There's no point in having the most healthy hair if it cannot be enjoyed, and I'm sure you grew your hair out because you wanted to enjoy having long hair.

Heat styling is not a crime, as much as it might have been made to sound like on LHC :o Sure, it will damage your hair, being what it is. BUT, the key is to not overdo it. Use the lowest heat setting you possible can, try not to do it every day (if you need touch-ups, try keeping them to a minimum), and keep up with those moisture/protein treatments.

I know many members on the board like the Caruso steam rollers, and it seems like they don't cause any damage at all. Have you considered getting a set for yourself? I know you mentioned that it's difficult to roll up your hair, but perhaps you just need a little practice.

luxepiggy
December 12th, 2011, 10:02 PM
:bottomsup: Cheers to enjoying your hair!

If you don't already have a favourite, may I suggest Aquage Beyond Shine as an excellent heat protectant? I use it liberally before both blow drying and applying a curling iron (^(oo)^)v

ScarlettAdelle
December 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Of course you do! There's no point in having the most healthy hair if it cannot be enjoyed, and I'm sure you grew your hair out because you wanted to enjoy having long hair.

Heat styling is not a crime, as much as it might have been made to sound like on LHC :o Sure, it will damage your hair, being what it is. BUT, the key is to not overdo it. Use the lowest heat setting you possible can, try not to do it every day (if you need touch-ups, try keeping them to a minimum), and keep up with those moisture/protein treatments.

I know many members on the board like the Caruso steam rollers, and it seems like they don't cause any damage at all. Have you considered getting a set for yourself? I know you mentioned that it's difficult to roll up your hair, but perhaps you just need a little practice.

The problem with the Caruso rollers and my hair is that you can't get enough tension on the roots to smooth them out with sponge rollers. I have a really strong, relatively small curl pattern, and I like big curls. When I set my hair in rollers, I use 1 & 1 1/2" rollers.

Rolling my hair myself is also an absolute nightmare, not because I'm not practiced (I was the Queen of Roller Sets at my school and was offered a job teaching it after I graduated) but because I can't reach and maintain the tension in the right direction, best I can get is about 2/3 of the way down at the shortest part.

Carissamarie08
December 12th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I love my heat! I dont think you should have to change what you really like just because it may be better for your hair..if it doesnt make you happy dont do it! :)

thelittlestdoc
December 13th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I 100% sympathize with your position! My little sister and I have very different textures. I have wavy hair that dries nicely without product on its own; she has hair that poofs out into a thick mane if she lets it air dry. I think there are some hair types that just look better with a bit of heat and some product.

Good for you for taking steps to being happier with your hair. What good are long locks if they're making you miserable or bitter?

mneh
December 13th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I know you want to wear your hair straight because the curl pattern etc is not to you liking but an idea occurred to me that I thought I'd mention :) If you could 'improve' your curl pattern would that help? I thought of suggesting Curlformers to you as I've read a lot of Type 3 & 4 curlies use them to get a looser and more uniform curl.

ETA: I don't use my hair straighteners any more but I'd be completely lost without my hair dryer. If I don't diffuse my hair it takes all day to dry and I can't be bothered with sitting around with wet hair hanging all round me.

justgreen
December 13th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I get my roots bleached every six weeks, use a flat iron on my bangs and tapered sides and I blow dry (albeit a little differently than I used to) at least twice a week. And my hair continues to grow and be healthy. I did a lot of pampering the hair for over two years. Now I can enjoy it again.

Also, sometimes , especially when getting a trim, I let my hairdresser use the flat iron to make sure the trim is right (on dry hair) and she uses Redken Glide (Cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, c12-15 alkyl benzoate, fragrance/parfum, trimethylsilylamodimethicone/macadamia ternifolia seed oil/macadamia ternifolia, candililla cera Ingredient Attributes: paraben free, protein free, glycerin free). She got some for me to take home and I love this stuff. Yes it has cones but it's paraben free, protein free and glycerin free.

jesis
December 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I think the point of having long hair is to be able to enjoy it. If that means heat styling, so be it! You need to feel good about yourself.

I feel the same way, but I'm going to let my hair grow out a few more inches before I pick the hot tools back up again. Being on this forum has taught me enough that I think I could maintain long hair while still using heat on it. :)

Good luck, lady!

HintOfMint
December 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Have at it! Life is just too short to force yourself to embrace something that ultimately makes you bitter. A lot of people think that they HAVE to embrace everything god or the giant spaghetti monster gave them or otherwise they're lacking in self esteem. I think you can see yourself objectively to an extent and make decisions as to what looks best. I used to think that whatever was natural was best, and then I realized that if that were the case, everybody would be running around with knee length hair with fairy tail ends, stark naked and everybody would look fantastic, equally so. I don't begrudge anybody their love for their body and hair, but I think the vast majority of us like to do something to improve upon our looks and the only difference is that of degree.

I can air-dry or damp bun my hair to look decent, even by mainstream standards, but it needs product. It would be obnoxious if someone told me that my hair would look best if I let it air dry without product or combing or shampoo. It would be similarly obnoxious for me to tell someone that they need to embrace my method of hair care and their hair would look exactly the way they want it to look.

xovictoryxo
December 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
im in the same boat as you!! lol. I blowdry my hair straight once every two weeks.

lacefrost
December 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I say enjoy it! I think hair is meant to be enjoyed. I mean, that's why we're growing it, right? And hair can usually take one "vice" and still be healthy: be it color, bleach, heat styling, brushing wet, etc.

I think it's important that you went so long without doing anything vice-y to it first though. You learned what your hair was like and what it could handle. So if I were you, I wouldn't feel guilty at all.

moon2dove
December 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM
It's your hair and you have every right to treat it how you want :D

Enjoy it, you have that right too :toast:

Maverick494
December 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
The problem with the Caruso rollers and my hair is that you can't get enough tension on the roots to smooth them out with sponge rollers. I have a really strong, relatively small curl pattern, and I like big curls. When I set my hair in rollers, I use 1 & 1 1/2" rollers.

Rolling my hair myself is also an absolute nightmare, not because I'm not practiced (I was the Queen of Roller Sets at my school and was offered a job teaching it after I graduated) but because I can't reach and maintain the tension in the right direction, best I can get is about 2/3 of the way down at the shortest part.

Why not invest in a quality curling Iron? There are curling irons with big barrels and different coating that's less damaging to your hair. (Nume, Cortex, Enzo Milano to name a few). My mom bought me the Enzo Milano I inch barrel one off amazon a month ago and I love the results it gives me. My hair stays in style for 3 days, opposed to maybe 2 hours with rollers. Plus it's much easier to do as well. Sure, I don't do it every day but when I do it I'm done quickly and the results are worth it.

I use this method and it's very easy and pretty:
http://youtu.be/PURw2IlZI0s

may1em
December 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I say enjoy it! I think hair is meant to be enjoyed. I mean, that's why we're growing it, right? And hair can usually take one "vice" and still be healthy: be it color, bleach, heat styling, brushing wet, etc. Mine's brushing it wet, then. Not doing so worked when it was BSL - at hip I can't plop it easily and it looks unruly if i don't brush it before it dries. If you're not happy with your hair, what's the point?

vanillabones
December 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Before LHC, I didn't go one day without heatstyling, I blowfried my hair daily no questions asked! But for a year now I haven't heatstyled, I got rid of my tools and went cold turkey. I feel the opposite, I never see myself heatstyling again, except for getting pampered at the salon once inawhile I like them to blow it out for me.
Either way it doesn't matter if you heatstyle or not it's about liking the way you look and presenting yourself the way you want and enjoying your hair, I condemn you for that :)

Hollyfire3
December 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Wrapping. Youtube it for tutorials.

I can't get it to look nice unless I wet wrap my hair. I have no idea how on earth women can dry wrap. :confused:

and I googled the blow-out thing. Not sure if this is a reliable site or not but have you seen this? http://www.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/news/20110907/fda-brazilian-blowout-hair-straightener-is-dangerous

Not to discourage you but I think it would be healthier for you to just straighten it once a week. :eek:

Lol thanks, i would NEVER consider doing a brazilian blowout, i have heard far too much bad about it (damage, chemicals ect.) I have not straightened in about 2-3 months and that is a big deal for me, and my hair! I have been having some problems from past damage and buildup (breakage, loss of curl, bad stuff overall) but i am on my way to fixing it. The only bad thing i do is dye my hair darker every 2-3 months. But that is not too bad and will not hinder my length because i am going to do everythign else right.

Hollyfire3
December 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Mine's brushing it wet, then. Not doing so worked when it was BSL - at hip I can't plop it easily and it looks unruly if i don't brush it before it dries. If you're not happy with your hair, what's the point?

Yes, thank you, i agree, mine is color but it is dark and salon color followed by deep conditioner treatment so it is not all that bad. Now, color, heat AND brushing while wet, yeah used to do that and i got REAL far...far as in i got ALOT of trims and no length kept,. I will never do that again!

kidari
December 13th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm also one of those who would blow dry and/or use a curling iron or hot rollers on my hair every time after I washed it, which is almost daily. Since finding this forum I've come to appreciate my natural texture more and learned heat free ways to wear my hair and have been happy with it. However, I do have my vices that I know I will never give up no matter what people say. These vices are daily washings, using sulfates, using cones, dying hair every month using boxed dyes, and I do love the occasional backcombing and heat styling. So, go you! Appreciate your hair however makes you happy minus the guilt. The only warning I have is to please do not do it everyday like I did, because it was so damaged beyond repair that I had to chop it all off. Unless, you don't mind and it allows you to try new things with your hair which can always be a good thing. It's just how you look at it!