PDA

View Full Version : Hair chalking?

Diamond.Eyes
December 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
So I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of/tried this method on their hair before? Do you think it would be damaging if you didn't use heat like in the video?
I think it would be a really fun thing to do for a concert or any kind of night out :). What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SPPoW5G54Q&feature=channel_video_title

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2940/hairchalking.jpg http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6161/blondehairdipdyed.jpg

candycandace
December 12th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Just watched the video, and I'm really considering going out to buy some nice pastels...for my hair :lol:. I think that is such a great idea, and seeing how vibrant the colors turned out on the girl with dark hair is really inspiring :p.

Miss Catrina
December 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM
The rough texture of chalk in this context kind of scares me.

mktmgt
December 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Holy cow! That is just plain awesome! I've really wanted to get into the dip-dyed ends trend but didn't want to kill my hair. I guess this is my answer right here lol. That is super amazing. I agree with candycandace, I love how vibrant the colors turned out on the girl with dark brown hair. Thanks for the link and pics! SO going ot try this!

XcaliburGirl
December 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Looks cool. However, I wonder if the chalk gets all over your clothes.

jesis
December 12th, 2011, 02:58 PM
She's not using chalk at all, she's using pastels. They're oily and it makes me wonder if it would be damaging...

Bri925
December 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I've sen this before on another website and they used a clip on and they color matched the hair. then bleached and dyed that hair. It looked great and nothing was going on your actual hair. Don't know if that makes sense.

jesis
December 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I've sen this before on another website and they used a clip on and they color matched the hair. then bleached and dyed that hair. It looked great and nothing was going on your actual hair. Don't know if that makes sense.

That sounds like a good idea actually!

Amber_Maiden
December 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
She's not using chalk at all, she's using pastels. They're oily and it makes me wonder if it would be damaging...

I'm pretty sure it is! Doesn't sound like a good idea to me... Also, it would be very hard to remove from the hair.

slz
December 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
There are 2 kinds of pastels : dry pastels or oil pastels. She uses dry ones, which are chalky, couldn't be the oil ones that wouldn't melt at all with water.

Miss Catrina
December 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM
There are two different varieties of pastels. One is just like highly pigmented chalk and one is oil pastel - oil pastel I don't think would be affected by water at all, like it is in the video. So they must be using the chalk variety.

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I would think it would have been easier to have a bowl of water and dip the pastels, rather than the spray bottle.

This is very interesting. I would like to know if it has any chance of staining or permanently altering the hair, especially on blonde, like mine. And if it washes out the first time (I didn't listen to the whole video (just watched), perhaps she said).

This would be a fun thing to do at Halloween, for sports games (school colors), or even Christmas parties for red and green (if one were inclined to Christmas parties, which I am not LOL). I would loce to do this at camp (I am a leader) if I can be sure it is totally wash-outable.

I don't think the fact they are oil pastels would be damaging in and of itself, lots of use put all kinds of oils on our hair! And oil pastels are not abrasive. I went through a phase in school where I drew/colored with these.

ETA: I just read the above replies about them NOT being oil pastels, I have never used those.

I, too, would be concerned the color would come off on clothing or seats of cars, etc.

Someone brave try this!!
I am eager for someone to try this and report back!

mneh
December 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM

It looks very pretty but I think I'd prefer to try the clip-on strands rather than pastels to achieve the effect. I think the Mum in the video was very resourceful in finding a way to colour her daughter's hair so that the girl could join in the school trend without resorting to highlighter markers.

aisha.christine
December 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I think it's awesome, but am a little concerned about the heat setting. I wonder if there would be any way you could set the color without heat :hmm:
Either way, it's very cool.

jesis
December 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM
For informational purposes I busted on DBF's pastels and tried it. No heat was used in the making of this picture.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/DSC_0805.jpg

I don't really like it. It was hard to get it onto my hair and it felt/sounded like it was damaging it. The colors look cool, I've been wanting to do blue for a while in a few sections underneath. I don't know if I'd do it again unless I could find an easier way to get it onto my hair.

Carrie Ingalls
December 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM
This looks like so much fun! I may have to try it with my goddaughters. I think the "more time consuming method" of putting a bit of the chalk in a small dish of water, making a paste out of it and "painting" it on the hair would be less damaging than scraping the chalk repeatedly down the hair (she did at least say to only go one direction, down.)

Orangerthanred
December 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
This doesn't sound damaging:

Fill a bowl with 1 1/4 full of warm water. Place you color choices of chalk into the bowl making sure they are covered with water. Leave them in the water for 5-15 minutes. The longer time will produce better results. The colors from the water will be vibrant.

Use a pair of plastic gloves and take the desired piece of chalk and highlight the the desired hairs. This can be on the front, sides, back or bottom of your hair. Let the chalk dry on the hair. It will wash out when you shampoo.

Celtic Morla
December 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Dog groomer shave been chalking coats for years for creative grooming. But it is very drying and will ruin shears!!

Diamond.Eyes
December 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Thank you for your opinions everyone! And your stand test turned out cool, jesis! And basically chalk pastels are an art medium which is basically just hyper-pigmented chalk. I have some chalk pastels in my garage that I may just have to go dig out. :D

Sundial
December 12th, 2011, 06:06 PM
There are 2 kinds of pastels : dry pastels or oil pastels. She uses dry ones, which are chalky, couldn't be the oil ones that wouldn't melt at all with water.

This looks like fun! I will definitely try it but perhaps in warmer months :o it's the rainy season over here and I wouldn't want weird looks if my colors start running in the rain :o Plus I would imagine it will stain my clothes big time of that happens.

Does that also mean that we need to be selective about the color of the clothes we wear? Imagine yellow chalk transferring on to black tops :p

StormVixen
December 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
hmmm... now you've got me thinking about the gouashe paints i have somewhere... :P

novemberfoxtrot
December 12th, 2011, 06:37 PM
hmmm... now you've got me thinking about the gouashe paints i have somewhere... :P

Now YOU have me thinking about MY gouashe!

StormVixen
December 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Now YOU have me thinking about MY gouashe!

I can see this turning out REALLY bad... step away from the art-box :p

Kira94
December 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
That's really neat! I'll have to get some chalk or pastels or something. :)

novemberfoxtrot
December 12th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I can see this turning out REALLY bad... step away from the art-box :p

haha! I'm a substitute teacher so I don't get to do anything fun with my hair...whether a good idea or not!; )

Sundial
December 12th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Ok this is really fun! I stopped by the stationery store to pick up a box of chalks and decided to test it out before I wash my hair. I tried purple on my black hair and it barely showed, it went on dark but as it dries it started lightening up a little. I'm pretty sure yellow will show up fabulously but I didn't want to walk around looking like a bee :p

I think I'll try sourcing around for some fluorescent or pastel colored chalks! Those should work much better! In the meantime, I'm planning on chalking the tips of my hair after I curl them later tonight. I might try and get a friend to take some pictures but I have a feeling that they wouldn't show up against my dark hair under bad lighting conditions

ETA: eep!! I tried placing my hair on a dark surface (black table) to get a photo and the purple started flaking on the table! :p I guess I won't be chalking my hair tonight because I was planning to wear black.

wallflower
December 12th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Ooooh! I've seen the pictures in the OP elsewhere online and I LOVED the colored ends, but I assumed it was done with permanent dye. I'll have to try this.

Though I think there might be a better way to do it. If you grind up the pastels into a dusty consistency, then mix it with water, you could make the pigment however thick/saturated you want it and apply it onto the hair with a paintbrush. This would also be less damaging to the hair. You wouldn't have to apply pressure to get the color to transfer.

Katze
December 13th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I used eyeshadow to highlight my silver streak the other day and liked it, though my friends and partner said it was too subtle (we were outdoors at a christmas market). Just mixed silver eyeshadow with hair gel and smeared it onto the area. I would have liked to see it a bit more dramatic, myself.

Long ago at Uni I had an acquaintance who powdered her hair. Yes, like Marie Antoinette. :) She had long, blondish-brownish (about my color or lighter) dreadlocks and would powder them so they looked grey. She used cheap body powder, and I wonder if these would come in different colors, and/or if you could affix them with hair gel too? I've done it with my extra light face powder (just the streak) and liked it...maybe mixing eyeshadow and powder? hmm...

My thoughts say that things that are meant for paper or canvas might hurt hair, whereas cosmetics should be fine...does that make sense?

Oksana
December 13th, 2011, 03:26 AM
This is really interesting, thanks for posting. I would be worries about it staining my hair, so i will let another blondie give it a go before i do ;)

Juanita
December 13th, 2011, 04:21 AM
But what about the toxicity of the pastels. You need to wear a mask while working with dry pastels because of the composition of the colours.

Diamond.Eyes
December 13th, 2011, 11:03 AM
But what about the toxicity of the pastels. You need to wear a mask while working with dry pastels because of the composition of the colours.

I have non-toxic ones that are safe for consumption, though I don't think anyone would want to eat them, and I figure that people put chemicals like sulfates on their hair (which have killed newborns), so why not put some pigmented minerals like chalk? :) besides I don't see how it could harm you if it's just on the ends of your hair, and not in your lungs :shrug: .

oktobergoud
December 13th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I have tons of those pastels :o I could always try it! :D Awesome video!

kristib123
December 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I have never tried it but that is so neat!

Maverick494
December 13th, 2011, 03:00 PM
My neighbor follows that yt channel and tried this on her daughter the other day and it looked awesome. She has very blonde hair and it came out very brightly. She washed it out the next day and there's no permanent color deposit. Doesn't seem damaging, so I'd say, stop worrying and go for it!

coffinhert
December 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I have heard of this, but with eyeshadow instead of chalk.

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2011, 06:37 PM
THIS (http://www.collegefashion.net/beauty-and-hair/celebrity-hairspiration-how-to-lauren-conrads-dip-dye-tips/) is another instructional website on this and a discussion after where they talk about the safety of it and potential problems (staining clothes, etc.). It is just another discussion, no professional stuff or real scientific data or anything.

That method does not involve a curling iron and they suggest coloring the hair against a piece of paper to make it easier.

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Ya know I was thinking, with blonde hair I could just try water color paints (think...Crayola). It would definitely go on less abrasively. I am still worried it would stain my hair, though.

Kristin
December 17th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Has anyone tried this yet? It looks really fun, but I'm wondering how much it will show up on dark hair.

julliams
December 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Haven't read the whole thread through so sorry if this has been mentioned but you can use eyeshadow to do this as well. I imagine you will wear it all over your clothes all night long though so I'd only do it for a costume party. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhOPj1pyDCQ

alittleprincess
December 18th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Oh hey I've done this! It was for a costume party along with some friends, a few of whom were blonde. Light colors showed up well on dark hair, and all colors showed up on light hair. It was fun for awhile, but it faded quickly (within a few hours). We found it to be very drying, and our hair was impossibly tangled. Good thing messy, snarly hair suited our costumes! Mine washed out in just one wash, but it took two for my blonde friend, who used green and blue. There was no staining, no residue on our clothes, and my hair seemed to recover from the dryness after some TLC. However, I wouldn't do it again. The dryness scared me!

Charlotte:)
December 18th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I tried this, and it was a disaster. Apparently chalk strips all the moisture from your hair, so when I tried this my hair became really crunchy and matted and gross looking/feeling (much like a well-loved doll's hair). I washed most of it out with conditioner and oiled it pretty heavily, but the leftover chalk absorbed most the oil within a few minutes. It was impossible to run even my Tangle Teaser smoothly though my hair. I washed it more thoroughly with shampoo the next day and left the conditioner in for a longer time before rinsing it out, and my hair finally seemed like its normal self again. I will never repeat this mistake. shudder:

jacqueline101
December 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Looks nice but how long does it last.

CareBear
December 25th, 2011, 12:47 PM
How about using mineral makeup pigments?

FluffSpider
December 25th, 2011, 01:00 PM
How about text markers? those shouldn't dry hair, and they're non-toxic.

Kaelee
December 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Holy crap! I had heard of doing this with eyeshadow (Ultrabella?) but I wasn't sure how it was done. I think I have some pastels. I'm going to go try this now!

ETA: ewww, maybe not after reading some other people's attempts were very drying- as dry as it is in PA right now in the winter, that would be a disaster. :(

Johanna
March 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM
How about text markers? those shouldn't dry hair, and they're non-toxic.

Just wanted to add that I've had experience with markers. In high school my friends and I used to colour the tips of my hair, it can have a slight bleaching/fading effect on the tips. You'd have to do it a few times to have that effect.