PDA

View Full Version : Want to Cut my hair.

PriscillaCherel
December 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
I don't know what to do.. I really love my hair but I hate all my bad and dry end layered hair.. December 2010 I wanted a big cut with layers.. and it ends horrible.. I miss my Hiplength hair end now it's not even that and still damaged..

I got over WL hair at this moment but i'm not happy.. I want to grow my dye out and also my layers, what should I do:( Micro trims doesn't work because I got really really short layers in the back and want to get rid of them fast as possible!

Should it be a good idea to cut it a bit shorter? it would look more healthier and thicker and my layers are more closer to one length.. It won't be a extremly cut, but still.. I have to choose: ''Healthy shorter hair or damaged longer hair''

I really want to choose for Healthy hair, but also longer. I want to make a newer start.

Help me please:D! Photo's are in my album.. And the long blonde hair is from last year..

jacqueline101
December 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I'd trim just enough each month to get rid of the damage but not to remove the length. As your hair grows the damage will grow out and the coloring will grow out but it will take time.

Peggy E.
December 12th, 2011, 08:07 AM
There's a two-week "sit-it-out" period prior to desperate moves rule here. If you don't follow it, we hunt you down and pour yucky, sticky stuff in your hair - you can not hide, even in Europe!

Okay. So we won't do that, but there really is a thing about waiting a couple of weeks and seeing if you still feel the same after a short passage of time.

I cringe every time I read someone is thinking of cutting layers. So often it seems there's only a short period before we're reading notes such as yours. Though I know there are lots of people who love having layers, if you aren't one of them, they must be a major bear to grow out!

If you can keep holding out, why not keep working at getting your hair in the absolute best condition possible, with the micro trims - maybe find some new, fun hair styles to try out, so you like your hair and enjoy having it long again.

Whatever you decide to do, be happy with the decision. It is hair, after all - it will continue to grow, or will grow back, whatever the situation might be in which it finds itself.

Have fun - Enjoy all the world has to offer, with all the fabulous avenues to explore! All the best to you.

PriscillaCherel
December 12th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the comments! I think i really know what to do now. Just do a cut and only do a little cut over 6-7 months again. I think that is the best option I can do. I also need to wear my hair a up :) I just wanted to feel my thick smooth thick ends again, thats why I wanted to cut! :D!

If someone did the same, I really want to hear your experience!

Amber_Maiden
December 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I cut my hair several time this year- for a total for 13in cut off- and my ends still feel damaged. I realized though, that my ends are always going to feel dryer than the rest of my hair, so I'm just ignoring it now and S&Ding, as well as oiling. Wearing your hair up will definitely help. I wear my hair up 98% of the time now.

I'd do microtrims if I were you, or take off an inch and see what happens. S&D as well.

I also got layers, and I love them. They took some getting used to. I'm mainly glad now that I did it because my hair is so heavy- it gives me headaches, and layering it helped the load. It also looks less like my hair is consuming me. hehe.

Good luck!

PriscillaCherel
December 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I would think hard about it! Thanks Amber:)!

spidermom
December 12th, 2011, 09:48 AM
When I grew out layers, I had a good stylist who would cut a little more off the length than she did the layers. She had me come in every 6-8 weeks and would trim maybe 1/4" off the layers and 1/2" off the ends. Eventually everything evened up, although, of course, no one has hair "all one length" because of the shed and regrow cycle. I have as many ends popping out of my braids now as I did when it was layered.

Deep conditioning treatments are going to give you more benefit than cutting your hair will.

PriscillaCherel
December 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Spidermom! No not all hair is one length but I really got some bad layers on the back.. they are a little bit longer then shoulder length.. It was even shorter a year ago but I don't like them at all. I want layers.. but only on the sides! not in the middle:D!

But thanks! This reactions are really helping with my desicions: I wait 2 months before I will cut my hair and wear it up in buns and with hair toys! :) Then I can cut a little bit more off maybe! I will see:D Just holding on!

jesis
December 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM
When I joined LHC a year ago I was also faced with this question. I did a small chop in September 2010 to get rid of bleach/heat damage, in which I lost about 4 inches of hair.

I decided not to go for the big chop and I'm really glad I didn't do it. I do cut a little off each month when I S&D because I'm still trying to remove damage from my hair, but I am pleased that my hair is growing, my ends are thickening up, and my hair looks healthier than ever!

Think on it. Ultimately, you're going to do what YOU want to do, no matter what any of us say.

dulce
December 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I also am growing out layers and old dyed hair,am at waist with my shorter layers just past APL.If you keep those ends well moisturized they will look a lot better.

SpinDance
December 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Always a challenge to decide whether to cut back or baby the ends. There is no right or wrong answer, just whatever answer you decide is right for you. Hair grows, so even if you cut back and decide it was too much, it will grow back. Thank goodness!

I think your plan to wait for a while, put it up and baby it is sound. I suggest adding tiny micro-trims as well. Tiny 5 mm trims of the longest hairs every few weeks or every month will let you continue to gain length while giving you fresh ends. Lots of S&D to remove damaged hairs where the damage is not at the end of your hemline helps, too. It took over a year of slow LHC experimenting (CWC, oils, deep treatments, etc.) before I got shine all the way to the ends of my hair. In the last few months I realized that not only do I have shine, I now also have softness. My hair was never soft before, so this has been quite a revelation.

Protect those ends, they are fragile and get more so the older they are. Trims aren't bad, and if you like thicker ends, by all means, trim back until the hemline makes you happy. If length is more important to you, or you aren't sure how you feel about going shorter, wait! You can always cut, but growing back is much slower. Nothing you don't know already, of course, but sometimes it helps to hear/see someone else say it!

Best of luck in your decision and growing journey.

|Xei
December 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I would personally cut back 2-3 inches. I've dealt with very short layers before, and they were fun to style and all, but when I didn't want them anymore, there was just so much length between the shortest layers and my hemline. Microtrimming helped keep my ends healthy while gaining length, but it was trimming back a significant amount to shorten that length in-between that made the growing out process much easier. It made my hair look and feel more balanced. Plus, a big trim really helps to thicken up the ends, and even things out.