PDA

View Full Version : Is it weird that I want to go grey/silver/white?

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I am always hearing about women hating that they're going grey/white/silver, but I'm always jealous that they are. I have always wanted silver/white hair, and even tried to achieve it a few years ago by bleaching my medium brown hair. Bad idea. My almost waist length hair had to be cut to my shoulders and then I had to grow the bleach out. So to have it naturally would be amazing to me. But alas, I am 21, and even my mom who is 43 hasn't started greying at all yet. But I was born with a big white patch on the back of my head and I love the color, if only it was all over. Why is it we always want what we don't have? Does anyone else feel this way or am I just weird?

Copasetic
December 12th, 2011, 07:05 AM
A lot of people want to go grey. It's not weird at all!

Roscata
December 12th, 2011, 07:11 AM
You're definitely not alone, check this out: The Salt & Pepper Thread! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951) and Going Renegray: My Story! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=192)

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks guys. And thanks for the great links Roscata. Unfortunately I don't think my genes will allow me to go grey anytime soon if at all. My 70 year old wears a white wig, but her natural hair is completely brown. I'll keep my fingers crossed that ill take after my great Aunt Ruth, who has beautiful white hair. She was born with the same white patch as me, so it's possible.

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 07:31 AM
70 year old *grandma

Anje
December 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Around here, I'd say we get one or two people a week posting about how they can't wait to go gray. A few even contemplate cultivating a nutritional deficiency to speed the process (which is obviously not recommended)! So while you might be slightly unusual in the world at large, you definitely aren't all that strange.

Rilig
December 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
It's not weird at all! My friend, who's black and 19-ish, bleached his hair a nice white. I think it's a color scheme he likes, black and white.

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Wow Rilig that actually sounds really cool. And Anje, I can't believe someone would be willing to hurt their body to achieve grey hair. I'd love to have it, but it wouldn't be worth it if your body and hair aren't healthy.

Amber_Maiden
December 12th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Around here, I'd say we get one or two people a week posting about how they can't wait to go gray. A few even contemplate cultivating a nutritional deficiency to speed the process (which is obviously not recommended)! So while you might be slightly unusual in the world at large, you definitely aren't all that strange.

Woah. Now that's... dedication on wanting to be grey/silver haired... wow.

Rhodugune
December 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I understand your feeling, grey, silver hair can be so beautiful! :)
I'm happy with my haircolour, but I'm also so curious how my hair will look when it go grey. :cheese:

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Your hair is so pretty Rhodugune, and I imagine it would look very pretty grey.

holothuroidea
December 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
No, you're not weird. Just perhaps a little more enlightened than the women who think that aging is a curse. I think gray/salt and pepper/white hair is beautiful. I look forward to going gray. I might have to wait a long time, though, my 51 year old mother has no gray hair. I think my father started going gray around 50 but I'm not really sure. My hair color is nice, though, I don't really want to change it.

So I appreciate the silvers, and I will not dye them if/when I get them, but currently I am content with the hair that I have.

einna
December 12th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I have my fathers hair, and he is almost 60 and no sign of grey yet.
I have mixed feelings about this, on one hand I would love to have my natural colour for a long time, on the other hand I love the silver. Nothing is set in stone anyways, our genes are different from our parents (as in a mix) and might act different on us.
And you are not weird ;)

Georgies
December 12th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I have never actually understood the obsession with looking young. I work in a male dominated field and I think I'm treated with more condescension because I look younger than I am. It's really not that great! Fortunately I'm nearing 40 and am going salt and pepper at last!

spidermom
December 12th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I didn't particularly want to go grey, but I love my silvery hairs (although I dislike the wirey white ones).

Jing
December 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Right there with you, though a few years ahead. I can't wait! By the looks of it so far, I'll end up with pure white, and it will be glooorious! :cheese: Now if I just had some more of my father's genes. He started greying "properly" at 18.

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I love your hair spidermom :)

And Georgies I know exactly what you mean. Im 21 and when people guess my age its usually no older than 15 :(. And I have been mistaken as the younger sister when im with my 12 year old sister. As a result I am treated as a child, I cant stand it.

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Jing I'm so evnious. Pure white is my dream hair.

slz
December 12th, 2011, 09:46 AM
And then there's the real thing, in real life - not the fantazised "beautiful silver sparkly whatever - grey" - which means, white turns easily into a piss-like tone, it doesn't necessarily flatter your skin tone, etc. Careful what you wish for.

vanillabones
December 12th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I too can't wait to go grey/silver/white :) I will never dye my hair again... and can't wait to go grey! I love white hair, and I too bleached my hair white to achieve the look and am still growing it out, but I have never had really long hair and want that too.

justgreen
December 12th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I have mine bleached out to match my silver hairs and it's mixed with bright gold, so silver and gold. I love it.

Rhodugune
December 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM
:joy:Thank you Schrei777, I hope so too! :)

justgreen I think you hair is stunning, wow what a gorgeous colour! :joy:

shump76
December 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I've only recently started getting greys. They're actually bright white and I can find 7 or 8 of them right at the front of my hairline. I'm quite excited about it, to be honest.

XcaliburGirl
December 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I am also excited about going silver. I love how white hairs stand out in dark hair like mine. I love my current color, too, so I am enjoying it while it lasts.

Right now I have one white hair, maybe two.

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I want your hair justgreen! Such a pretty color.

|Xei
December 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I'm not too into the salt and pepper thing (looks great on some people though), but white/silver hair is super cool (*O*)

holothuroidea
December 12th, 2011, 01:12 PM
And then there's the real thing, in real life - not the fantazised "beautiful silver sparkly whatever - grey" - which means, white turns easily into a piss-like tone, it doesn't necessarily flatter your skin tone, etc. Careful what you wish for.

Yeesh! Negative, much?

You know, it's all a matter of perspective. Of course white/gray hair has that tendency to yellow, sometimes it is fixable and perhaps sometimes not. But regardless of that, many could argue that my natural hair color in certain lights is "piss-like," or that medium brown hair is, "poop colored." It is your choice to see it that way, but that is no reason to bring others down with you.

And I have never met anyone who was not flattered by their natural hair color, and that includes grays.

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I have to agree holothuroidea. I've seen all shades of grey/white/silver and I have never once thought they looked wrong for the person sporting it. Unless of course it was bleached that way. And I don't think that gorgeous white/silver color is a fantasy becuase my Aunt Ruth has that exact color. Its pure white with a silvery sheen, sooo beautiful.

ithil
December 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I also share your fascination with white/silver hair. Obtained without aging process looks wonderful, because of thickness, volume and proper care of course. In my family women suffer from hair loss after menopause (and probably in general, because there is less estrogen in organism) so the effect is not the same.

A good solution is a white/silver wig, although I feel a bit ashamed to hide natural hair I took care of so long. But still... it seems to be worth it. :)

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM
A silver wig would be fun ithil :). I personally wouldn't be able to wear one very long, I can't even stand wearing a hat at work. But it would be fun to see how it would look.

slz
December 12th, 2011, 01:45 PM
It is your choice to see it that way, but that is no reason to bring others down with you.
In 3 pages : all positive remarks, mine the only "other side of the coin" one. So I'd venture to say I'm far from "bringing others down" with me, just trying to put some weight on the other side of the scales, you know ? For some reason reading threads where everybody goes in the same direction when there obviously is another side to the coin makes me feel compelled to go for some balance, in an attempt at fairness.
So, yeah, it's not all spaklies and roses, white hair has a tendancy to go yellowish that makes it hard to maintain in a healthy-looking state for some people - think about the reasoning behind old ladies' purple shampoo. So one might be eager to go white because they suppose they'd be granted with the ideal white-silver, but end up with the difficult to maintain, easily yellowing kind. I say the silver-sparkly version is fantazised, not meaning that it doesn't exist, but that believing that it's just the way it is, always, is plain false.

Miss Catrina
December 12th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I'm 18 and I deliberately tried to dye my hair grey about a month ago. Didn't work at all.

Schrei777
December 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Haha same here Miss Catrina. Finally decided to get it done at this salon that everyone raved about. She ended up bleaching my hair THREE times. By the end it was goo in my hands. Chopped my almost waist length hair to my shoulders. It took a year to chop it all out. Now its at BSL again but I just couldn't stay away from my chemical red dyes, so its very damaged again. I am starting the process of growing unhealthy hair out all over again, but this time no chemicals, straighteners, etc. :D

feralnature
December 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM
My 80 plus year old parents have white hair and mine is turning quite white as well. The front is all white and the back is slowly turning.

holothuroidea
December 12th, 2011, 02:06 PM
In 3 pages : all positive remarks, mine the only "other side of the coin" one. So I'd venture to say I'm far from "bringing others down" with me, just trying to put some weight on the other side of the scales, you know ? For some reason reading threads where everybody goes in the same direction when there obviously is another side to the coin makes me feel compelled to go for some balance, in an attempt at fairness.
So, yeah, it's not all spaklies and roses, white hair has a tendancy to go yellowish that makes it hard to maintain in a healthy-looking state for some people - think about the reasoning behind old ladies' purple shampoo. So one might be eager to go white because they suppose they'd be granted with the ideal white-silver, but end up with the difficult to maintain, easily yellowing kind. I say the silver-sparkly version is fantazised, not meaning that it doesn't exist, but that believing that it's just the way it is, always, is plain false.

Well, it wasn't your "other side of the coin" perspective (which I don't agree with, but very much appreciate) that was negative, it was the way that you expressed it. To imply that anyone who looks forward to their gray hair is living in a fantasy world is unfair, and the term "piss-like" should never be applied to the way someone's hair may naturally look.

I knew a woman who was my greatest mentor and an excellent friend, she was a second mother to me. She was beautiful, and prematurely gray. Her salt and pepper hair was more like saffron and pepper. She chose to see it as saffron, though, not piss. That is probably what made it so beautiful, her perspective.

slz
December 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry my choice of derogative vocabulary offended you, however, by the way I choose to treat my own whites, you might understand where I got the pee analogy from :/ .

justgreen
December 12th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Thank you for the nice hair compliments. :flowers:

Usually, someone with true grey/white/silver hair that has 'yellow' means that they have not learned yet that they can have a hairdresser use what is similar to chelating that pesky residue from their lovely locks. De-mineralization, sort of. I have an older friend who has this done and her hair is just gorgeous. Before the treatments her hair was nicotine stained looking.

I have hard well water and I always do a final rinse with 12 ounces of distilled water, sluices the well water off my hair before the minerals have a chance to attach. I also don't believe in toner, I had more problems with brassiness when I would let a toner be put on my hair. I use So Silver about once every six weeks, when my hairdresser does my roots, and that's it.

Amarante
December 12th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I can't wait to get my greys. It's part of the reason I'm growing out my natural color now, in preparation for going grey. My dad is almost completely white-haired now, and my mom has a lovely collection of silvery-white around her hairline, so I have bright hopes for mine. I also fully plan on utilizing the purple shampoo (albeit diluted) to keep my silvers silvery. :)

Demetrue
December 12th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I think it is easier to make the transition to silver if you never start dying to cover them up but let them come in gradually over time. I am having such a hard time dealing with the white roots against the dark blonde dyed length. The length makes the roots look odd, but if I look carefully, the whites are actually much more shiny and sparkly than the dyed portion. Patience ...

raehysteric
December 12th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I kinda want it now. I wouldn't be mad if i prematurely greyed, but I won't try and force it. I'm already getting grey hairs but most of them er.. aren't exactly on my head (usually) >.< Do I REALLY need a random grey eyebrow hair? Apparently I do!

I've got really dark hair to begin with, so playing around with colors can be a bit of a chore (and damaging) or very subtle (if i go the gentle route.) Going grey, even i didn't LIKE the grey tone i ended up with, would still be helpful for dying purpose. I drool over the thought of tossing henna on a smattering of grey hairs.

My grandmothers had gorgeous white heads of hair. My mom tends to end up with a sickly pepper/chocolate hair, but I think that's mostly impart to her dying it repeatedly. My dad actually has a very lovely head of salt/pepper. I've got all four of them haircolor (although mine has more red highlights), so.. lets hope I get what my grandmothers had.

LovingLife
December 12th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Not at all!
I think a full white or silver is incredibly entrancing and beautiful!

door72067
December 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
my greys, in fact, *are* silvery...so much so, they sparkle like I have silver threads woven into my hair

I'm on a ~going natural~ path :)

jojo
January 2nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I love sparkly silver hair, though a woman who lives a few doors from me smokes like a chimney and has a nice (not) nicotine streak through the front but overall Id love snow white hair, its all down to genes and what your younger natural colour is. Hopefully I am taking after my Dad who also had dark blonde hair which turned white in his winter years!

Mesmerise
January 2nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
I think it's one of those great ironies of life that those who WANT to go grey usually have genetics against them and won't go grey until quite old age, and those of us who would rather keep our natural colour, start graying early!

I wish I could embrace them... I really do... but I just don't wanna age myself by 10-15 years (which I pretty much think it would do) by going my natural colour (which would have quite a % of grey by now)!

OakTreeGirl
January 3rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
When I start to get significant greys, I would love to let my hair grow out naturally. However, I want to start putting henna in my hair because I think it will help give my hair thickness. I have very thin hair. I don't know if I should stop using henna when I'm in my 40's or 50's. I think my hair would benefit even more from the conditioning effect of henna. When I go white, I just might end up with bright red hair!

So a grey/white head might not be for me, but I certainly admire those women who do keep their natural colour! It is beautiful. :-)

Qadupae
January 3rd, 2012, 02:11 AM
I hope greatly that I end up going totally gray/white/silver. My Dad's side is balding/steel grays and my Mom's side is white, so maybe salt and pepper for me? I do have a little widow's peak already, but that might be from all the dying I've done ^_^ My hair right now is a funky ash brown/ wannabe gray and I am hoping that in the next 5 years it will just go gray ^_^ Loooove it!

ETA: Seriously, this is hilarious ^_^ Just went on break from work not too long ago and when I was leaving the restroom, took a gander in the mirror and I stopped short because I thought I saw white. Looked in closer and sure enough I have one lone pure white hair on the right side of my head. Absolutely gorgeous! I was hoping for silver at least, but white? Heck yeah!

holothuroidea
January 3rd, 2012, 06:56 AM
I hope greatly that I end up going totally gray/white/silver. My Dad's side is balding/steel grays and my Mom's side is white, so maybe salt and pepper for me? I do have a little widow's peak already, but that might be from all the dying I've done ^_^ My hair right now is a funky ash brown/ wannabe gray and I am hoping that in the next 5 years it will just go gray ^_^ Loooove it!

ETA: Seriously, this is hilarious ^_^ Just went on break from work not too long ago and when I was leaving the restroom, took a gander in the mirror and I stopped short because I thought I saw white. Looked in closer and sure enough I have one lone pure white hair on the right side of my head. Absolutely gorgeous! I was hoping for silver at least, but white? Heck yeah!

My DH has had "lightly salted" hair ever since I met him when he was 20, he gets a couple new ones as the years go on. He has maybe 20-30 white hairs and even though that's really not a lot I am insanely jealous over it.

Genetics are against me. I keep looking for silvers in my mom's (age 51) hair but never find any. She doesn't dye it, either. Way to go, mom.

jojo
January 3rd, 2012, 07:13 AM
I think it's one of those great ironies of life that those who WANT to go grey usually have genetics against them and won't go grey until quite old age, and those of us who would rather keep our natural colour, start graying early!

I wish I could embrace them... I really do... but I just don't wanna age myself by 10-15 years (which I pretty much think it would do) by going my natural colour (which would have quite a &#37; of grey by now)!

oh my this is so true. I have a 50:50 chance of going fully grey. I cannot remember a time my dad never had grey hair and it was pure white the day he died, yet my mum probably started going grey 2 years ago at 66. Time will tell!

Took me a long time to realise it, but natural hair is always more flattering. Though I do understand it is not for everybody, were all different!

duchesswannabe
January 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM
I wish I could embrace them... I really do... but I just don't wanna age myself by 10-15 years (which I pretty much think it would do) by going my natural colour (which would have quite a % of grey by now)!

By cracky, I didn't want to stop coloring at your age either, dearie. I waited until I was 49 to stop the color and "embrace" my whites . . . cackle, cackle, cackle. I secretly would have preferred not to have started my whites so early in life, but I can think of worse things I could have coped with.

Zesty
January 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
After finding a white hair on DBF's head the other day (which he promptly told me to pull out! Lol!) I mentioned that I was kind of looking forward to going gray. He was incredulous, as he is (obviously) horrified at the thought. But I think gray hairs in dark hair like mine look really awesome. I have a good chance of being salt-and-peppery, judging by my dad's side. My paternal grandmother even has bordering-on-white hair, except for at the nape of her neck where it's still really dark. And I don't know how to judge my mom's side (I take after her hair) because both she and her mother dye their hair to cover the gray.

I'm not anxious to go gray RIGHT NOW, but I think it'll be kinda fun when the time comes. :)

Katze
January 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
NO!

So did I through most of my twenties and early thirties. I always felt it would suit me really nicely! I even had silver streaks put in regularly...which faded really fast, and the repeated bleach made my hair go brassy and is not good for my baby fine crown hair.

Starting after I lived through 9/11 in lower Manhattan, I started getting a few individual silver hairs at my left forehead (and they are really silver, not grey or white). After I had my daughter, I had a lot more silver hair, and now, after 2 1/2 years of sleep deprivation, I have a full patch of silver hair at my forehead and more strands coming out on the other side, as well as behind my ears.

While I really like the color of these hairs, of course I wish they came in right next to each other so I didn't have that salt-and-pepper look. I do look like I am slowly getting covered with frost, but with blonde highlights and some individual platinum blonde hairs, especially around my face/crown, it actually makes my hair seem brighter.

Recently I tried enhancing it with silver eye shadow but it was so subtle no one noticed. Next time I have a chance to play dress up I will powder just that area and see what happens.

Remember we are bombarded with media images of dramatic hair color (part of why I bleached my hair blonde for so many years) - red, black, bright blonde, and of course, thanks to manga and other similar sources, silver hair.

I do think long pure white, grey, or silver hair can look very beautiful, even on older people, but it's one of those things where I can understand people wanting to dye it, too, especially if such pale hair just washes you out.

PixxieStix
January 3rd, 2012, 12:59 PM
Nope, not weird at all! Once I start going silver/grey/white (great grandmother had gorgeous white hair, grandma on mom's side has very pretty sparklies) , I will stop putting henna in my hair, but not until then. ^.^ I have often thought though: I'm gonna look amazing silver/white!

auntnina
January 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Self edited

Rosethorn
January 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I've always admired silver/white long hair. I want it now but, of course, not a single sparkly in sight. Sigh.

snowfaery
January 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
While I am not ready to go full white or silver or grey, I do enjoy the white hairs that I have that are multiplying in a pretty high number. I think the average is about 30 to 60 new ones a week because the girl who helps me with my hair styling pulls them all out every single week.

holothuroidea
January 3rd, 2012, 06:26 PM
While I am not ready to go full white or silver or grey, I do enjoy the white hairs that I have that are multiplying in a pretty high number. I think the average is about 30 to 60 new ones a week because the girl who helps me with my hair styling pulls them all out every single week.

That sounds painful and incredibly unnecessary.

I can't imagine purposefully pulling 30-60 of my hairs out weekly, why should it matter what color they are :confused:

Mesmerise
January 3rd, 2012, 07:32 PM

Ouch! Why do you let her pull your hairs out??? If you enjoy them, then keep them! Gosh I can't imagine how thin my hair would be if I tried to remove all my grey/white/silver hairs!

I mean, if you don't like them... colour them. But if not, then for goodness sake, leave them alone!

CynthiaK
January 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
I think long silver hair looks awesome, especially if it has different tones. I have a birthmark on my scalp and the hair that grows from it is silvery white, it's just a few hairs though. :)

snowfaery
January 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM
Ouch! Why do you let her pull your hairs out??? If you enjoy them, then keep them! Gosh I can't imagine how thin my hair would be if I tried to remove all my grey/white/silver hairs!

I mean, if you don't like them... colour them. But if not, then for goodness sake, leave them alone!

Ironically it doesn't hurt me and my hair isn't thinning out any, it seems to be getting thicker where the hair is being yanked out.

Ravenwind
January 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
I think white hair is so pretty. If I could I would try to dye my hair white :P

the.fee.fairy
January 3rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Luckily, i have hair from my Dad's side (strong, dark celtic hair), but unluckily, i'm not greying like he did. My Dad has always had long hair. The one time he cut if off (just before my graduation) everyone hated it.

He went white at about 40, i'm nearly 30 now and keep seeing the odd white hair (never grey, always pure white), but i'm not ready to give up the dye until i have a good amount of white. I'm not so keen on the odd hair, i don't feel like they're silvery strands, just odd white hairs. If they'd only all grow together, then i could cultivate a beautiful white streak (i'd wash it with my dog's shampoo - that's specifically for white hair), rather than looking at the odd aging strands.

I'm hoping that by dyeing (semi-permanent) for the next 10 years and then letting it go, i'll have a nice amount of white hair and not odd bits.

Alun
January 4th, 2012, 12:52 AM
The idea of wanting to have silver hair reminded me of a murder mystery, The Bridesmaid, by Ruth Rendell, in which one of the central characters dyes her red hair silver.

The book was set in England, but apparently a film was made of it by a French director, who set it in France, and then English subtitles were added to it later. The film doesn't have her hair dyed silver either.

I haven't seen the film, but the book left a lasting impression. And my point? Well, you'll have to read the book, and then you'll understand. The character who dyed her hair silver in the book was quite weird indeed.

duchesswannabe
January 4th, 2012, 04:24 AM
I'm hoping that by dyeing (semi-permanent) for the next 10 years and then letting it go, i'll have a nice amount of white hair and not odd bits.

That's when it does actually get fun.

piffyanne
January 6th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Ironically enough, I appear to be going black. Well, not exactly. It's not going black in the sense of "look at this new growth, it's BLACK! Wut?", but I DO keep finding Anne-hairs (as DBF and my family call any shed hair that's 8 inches or longer, but usually over two feet. [Yay!]) that are noticable due to their extremely unusual pigmentation: my hair's never grown black hairs before, and it is now? That's rather odd, because my hair's no darker than a deep blonde/lightish brown combo shot with red (see profile pic and siggy if that isn't clear). These random black strands are as long as my own hair, and I know they must be mine (dad ain't having an affair with a longhair out of cleverness, hoping his daughter's hair will mask his mistress' hairs) because one of them shed directly into my hand (felt the tug. It was certainly mine).

Someone mentioned above that the people who want to go grey/silver/white seem to end up doing it later than those who emphatically don't want to. My head's apparently trying to thwart me COMPLETELY!:rolleyes: Wait, maybe it's trying to be conventional by turning to salt-and-pepper? After all, who says "salt-and-dark blonde/lightish brown combo shot with red"? >giggle<

Schrei777
January 6th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Someone mentioned above that the people who want to go grey/silver/white seem to end up doing it later than those who emphatically don't want to. My head's apparently trying to thwart me COMPLETELY!:rolleyes: Wait, maybe it's trying to be conventional by turning to salt-and-pepper? After all, who says "salt-and-dark blonde/lightish brown combo shot with red"? >giggle<

Wow that is strange. My mom went from natural platinum blonde hair to almost black hair when she was pregnant and has never returned to blonde. But I've never heard of your situation, I wonder how it will turn out? Are you glad your hair seems to not want to go grey, or are you someone who wants silver locks?

piffyanne
January 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Wow that is strange. My mom went from natural platinum blonde hair to almost black hair when she was pregnant and has never returned to blonde. But I've never heard of your situation, I wonder how it will turn out? Are you glad your hair seems to not want to go grey, or are you someone who wants silver locks?
Well, I'm turning 22 in 4 days, so I've probably got a decent amount of time before I start going whatever color my hair intends to go, but it's still a confusing situation. I'm not pregnant, except with emotion, so that's not it. My hormones do like yanking my chain, though. Maybe that's it?:rolleyes:

The confusing part is the black hairs are as long as the rest of my classic-length, so they must have been with me for quite some time, and I'm trying to figure out why I haven't seen them before. Curiouser and curiouser.

Schrei777
January 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Well, I'm turning 22 in 4 days, so I've probably got a decent amount of time before I start going whatever color my hair intends to go, but it's still a confusing situation. I'm not pregnant, except with emotion, so that's not it. My hormones do like yanking my chain, though. Maybe that's it?:rolleyes:

The confusing part is the black hairs are as long as the rest of my classic-length, so they must have been with me for quite some time, and I'm trying to figure out why I haven't seen them before. Curiouser and curiouser.

Oh lol. Sry I assumed you meant you were at the point of going grey but your hair was going black instead (couldn't tell either way from your avatar pic because people of all ages on this site have gorgeous hair ;)). The fact that you are young changes everything. I would say your hormones just changed and altered your hair without you really noticing until now. I've known others in their teens and 20s whos hair randomly changed. My best friend had pin straight blonde hair as a young teen and now at 20 she has light brown wavy hair, and she was never pregnant. Hormones do wacky things for no reason :p.

Rosa
January 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM
I'm trying to embrace my silvers but am not finding it easy. I don't want to look old, and although I'm speeding towards mid life I feel just the same as always. But my hair clearly has other ideas. I've been henndigo-ing for about four years, but the indigo fades early leaving brassy tones on the greys which makes them even more conspicuous. So I've decided to grit my teeth and try to love my hair for its quirky natural self. It is scary, though. Society is so obsessed by youth and artifice. I don't want to be like the rest of the fake shiny dye-heads, but don't want silver hair to be dull and dreary. At the moment, I have about 30-40% silvers and haven't coloured for three months. My hair's hovering at shoulder length, so I'm thinking of getting trims and keeping the length at this stage, then letting it grow to APL and maybe further (if I can) when I have more grey. I'm hoping to pick up tips about up-dos and hair care on my journey.

Lissandria
January 7th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Silver hair is awesome. I can't wait to have long, silver hair :)

Schrei777
January 7th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I'm trying to embrace my silvers but am not finding it easy. I don't want to look old, and although I'm speeding towards mid life I feel just the same as always. But my hair clearly has other ideas. I've been henndigo-ing for about four years, but the indigo fades early leaving brassy tones on the greys which makes them even more conspicuous. So I've decided to grit my teeth and try to love my hair for its quirky natural self. It is scary, though. Society is so obsessed by youth and artifice. I don't want to be like the rest of the fake shiny dye-heads, but don't want silver hair to be dull and dreary. At the moment, I have about 30-40% silvers and haven't coloured for three months. My hair's hovering at shoulder length, so I'm thinking of getting trims and keeping the length at this stage, then letting it grow to APL and maybe further (if I can) when I have more grey. I'm hoping to pick up tips about up-dos and hair care on my journey.

Im sorry to hear that your struggling with it. I also hate that society is obsessed with youth, but that is why I will love to have silver hair when I'm older because I love to do the opposite of what most of society is doing :D. Coming from someone who is 21, I can tell you that when I see a lady with grey/silver hair I don't think Wow shes getting old, I always think Wow her hair is so unique and pretty. My mom's Aunt is almost 75 and has silver white hair, and I am always in awe of her gorgeous color. She honestly looks about 45! And I think if she had brown hair it would actually age her, and make her lose her almost ethereal looks. Okay I am babbling now, but I hope you grow to love your silver hair because I'm sure it will be beautiful :).

piffyanne
August 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Oh lol. Sry I assumed you meant you were at the point of going grey but your hair was going black instead (couldn't tell either way from your avatar pic because people of all ages on this site have gorgeous hair ;)). The fact that you are young changes everything. I would say your hormones just changed and altered your hair without you really noticing until now. I've known others in their teens and 20s whos hair randomly changed. My best friend had pin straight blonde hair as a young teen and now at 20 she has light brown wavy hair, and she was never pregnant. Hormones do wacky things for no reason :p.

We were discussing this in January, I thought I'd check in with an August update: I seem to have had a growthphase start about that time, or something. Whatever CAUSED it, I now have a thin layer of 7-inch-long hairs all through my head. It's significant enough that they're noticeable, it's like a layer cut in that rests on top. Because of it, my hair is pretty silly-looking.

The short layer recently stopped trying to lay down, and in aggravation I wetted it. Turns out it's now long enough to have the curl pattern show up.

When I plop, I've got 7 inches of curls near my scalp, a vast expanse of hair pulled straight by weighted length, and the last 7 inches are curly where the weight doesn't affect it. Oy vey.

It's still coming in as black hairs, too. I've been told some LHCers refer to this phenomenon as “head-pubes.” I am still trying to grapple with my annoyance at what my head has decided to do to me.

Sidetrack over

Amygirl8
August 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Trust me, I want long flowing silver hair too XD
I'm still in my younger teen years though, so I have quite a while to go :P My mom is 47 and her hair has been getting more and more silver- it looks like she has silver highlights in her black hair, and if she were to grow it out it'd look pretty cool (it's only earlobe length)

I'm waiting patiently for my silver though, I don't intend to dye my hair.

SouthernBelleUS
August 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Not wierd! I LOVE silver & get upset when I lose a grey/silver hair! Love to bring out the silver by using a purple-tone shampoo!

CouteauCouture
August 19th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I love silver hair too. I currently henna because my natural color is this really strange greenish ashy blond and I've always wanted red. I actually picked the lowest dye content henna I could find in the hopes that it won't dye the silvers, once they start coming in, as completely as the rest of my hair. I'd much rather have red and silver than my natural freaky mermaid hair. Hopefully I'll take after my mother, I already look just like her, as she has GORGEOUS twin silver streaks at her temples! :D Both my grandmothers had/have completely silver hair as well, so it looks like genetics are on my side. Another plus, my mom started getting gilded hair in her early thirties, so I won't have to wait too long!

MrsGuther
August 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
You're not weird. I know some people that really can't wait to go gray either! :)

kitekats
August 19th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Oh, I would love white hair too:), and somehow my front hair streaks are getting whiter and blonder-oh, maybe?!;)...noo, probably not gonna happen

vanillabones
August 19th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I don't think it's weird. I want to too. I will never dye over it. I hope mine is silver/white!

HadessThera
August 19th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I always thought I wanted long silver or white hair and then I watched The Devil Wears Prada and thought Meryl Streep's short angular white hair was fantastic :D either way white or silver hair rocks, I would try attain it now (particularly silver hair because looking like Sephiroth's sister would be an added bonus) in my twenties if it didn't require copious colour stripping and bleaching :(