PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends--trim or S&D?

Kelikea
December 12th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Well, it has been almost one year since my last trim. I decided after my haircut last December, right before my family's holiday party, not to cut the rest of the year and see where I got. The party was Saturday. I S&D last night and found so many split ends. Most are from the hair that grows from the nape of my neck, but there were some in the rest of my hair, too. More than usual. So...should I go ahead and get a trim or keep S&D? I have length shots in my album and can post another later. My goal is TBL and I want the sides to catch up to hip.

isabelx
December 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM
If there are too many to S&D, I'd trim. I mean, can you S&D and then after feel like you've got rid of the majority of them, or is it a hard job and you still feel as though there are still loads left afterwards?

Rockferry
December 12th, 2011, 05:18 AM
It sounds like you would be better off doing a trim if you have that many split-ends.

longhairedleah
December 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I agree, if you have so many to S&D, you might end up having ends that aren't so thick anymore, and uneven. I think a small trim would be best, and then if you wanted you could S&D a little bit to get rid of the rest.

dinnee
December 12th, 2011, 05:49 AM
I just did a one inch trim myself last night, because the splits were becoming unbearable. You can do less than an inch naturally. But for me I decided to cut of a little more to get things nice and blunt again. :)

After I cut of that inch, I did a S&D for the higher splits/breaks but now it was manageable.

Amber_Maiden
December 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I'd trim and keeping S&Ding as well.

spidermom
December 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM
My policy is to do both. Trims keep the ends on the thicker side, and S&D gets the splits that aren't at the very ends.

Kelikea
December 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
The S&D was too tedious to get all of them. I had a couple of hairs that looked like feathers. Ok, well it sounds like I should go ahead and get the trim! I did meet my goal of waiting till the holiday party/one year! Now I just have to find a person or place that I trust to do a little 1/2 inch trim.

daniew0708
December 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I would trim a little. in fact i am having a bad splitting problem and will be getting trimmed as well. i think my problem is from the hair ties i use when i braid my hair. I use the large ouchless no metal bands but since i started wearing my hair up almost daily i have noticed an increase in split ends. good luck with your trim.

novemberfoxtrot
December 12th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Trims always feel so nice, too. Even when I'm sad about losing length I can still get giddy about running my fingers through my hair!

Kelikea
December 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the advice. I decided to trim and here are the results:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=121122&albumid=8987&dl=1323831305&thumb=1 Before, and http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=121123&albumid=8987&dl=1323831305&thumb=1After!
HB did a little trim for me. I'm glad because I didn't have to pay for it and he only cut off a little bit soI can decide if I want more off later.

blondie9912
December 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Spidermom took the words right out of my mouth. That's always the best thing to do

Achtland
December 13th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Even though I can't see pics... I just thought I'd throw my two cents in:

S & D when you want to wage war on your splits. In between trims or when you feel you need it and/or can extend your trims a little longer based on quality of the last inch or two of your hair.

TRIM when you want to "bulk" up your ends, ideally... bulking up your ends also means more protection for your delicate longest hairs.

So encouraging what spidermom said and as I'm sure you have done, both help :)

kittymallow
December 14th, 2011, 05:21 AM
i would have done a little micro trim:)

Lianna
December 14th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I'd trim just a tiny bit and S&D the rest, after all you didn't cut for a whole year! :) Many can't do it.

You don't even look like you lost any length.

Kelikea
December 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Ok, so after the trim last week, I was feeling a little better. I am back at 34.25inches from 33.5 in July, so not a lot of growth after not cutting all year. I went out of town this weekend and spent about 13 hours in the car, and I guess my hair rubbed against my back and sweater. I got home and had a matted area about 6 inches wide. It took a half hour to detangle and S&D. I have never found so many splits in my life! The ends feel dry. I have been using Kimberlily's spray this weekend. Not sure what to do now...

Kelikea
December 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Does protein help strengthen the hair to prevent splits? Or do I just need more moisture?

mireillemt
December 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
I've been having the same dilemma that you mentioned in your original post. I've been thinking recently though that it might be the hair scissors that I S&D with that are causing the splits. Not sure what quality you're working with, but, that might have something to do with it...

Kerin
December 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Trims are good if the hairdresser doesn't cut too much off. Some do not understand 2 cm.

Certainly after a year the hair will look better with a slight trim if you have split end at the ends.

If no split ends dont get it cut.

If you have just a few split ends , but a good hairdressing scissor and cut them off yourself.
(spam link removed-moderation)

ArienEllariel
December 19th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Hmm depends on your patience. I tend to S & D and believe me, I have had a lot lot of splits. I just do several S & D sessions spread out. I think it weeds out enough splits that I can afford not to trim. This methods obviously wouldn't work for everyone but it works for me.

jacqueline101
December 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
My hair has a taper and a self trim would be impossible so I do a search and destroy for split ends.