PDA

View Full Version : Balancing dye and damage thread!

prettyhairisred
December 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
:pAs you can see, I'm still quite new here. Although new in the account realm, I've been an avid reader of LHC for a long time :) I've seen many different threads for different lenths and hair care styles. I wanted to start a thread for gals that want long luscious locks while continuing to dye. Personally I have dark blonde hair that's bsl in the back but for some reason 4 inches shorter in the front... and I want it to be light red and bsl all over. this is a place to descrive your dream hair, conditioning techniques, and trims. Personally I seek and destroy :rant:How to you keep your hair moisterized? How liong is it? Do you die at home? Haha die at home :D
any deep conditioning tricksÉ I stopped dying my hair so that I could grow it, but I find red makes my winter pale skin and green eyes pop, while the blonde is so dusty... Im a very slavic gal! Anyways gals shouldnt have to chose between long and colourful !! Please someone actually reply to this :eek: Ièm scared as this is my first time posting :p

Lianna
December 11th, 2011, 06:45 PM
We actually have a long thread for this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=889

And one specially for bottle blondes: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21256

prettyhairisred
December 11th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Sorry for the É! i didnèt see them, and as Im french using an english keybord, the ? mark button turns into É and to find the 6 mark odly it is shift 6. Sorry I ramble :P and as it seems noones actually reading this... sorry thats petty! Ièm only 13 after all. teenage girl, hormones... all that. i do hope one person at least comments!! :) :( :P

Hollyfire3
December 11th, 2011, 06:48 PM
My hair is about BSl and my dream hair is Piper Halliwell's from Charmed, i LURVS (love+luv)her hair! My own hair looks like that actually, (but i know she straightens her hair so think wavy/curlly and a bit bigger) it is very thick and naturally about dark golden/medium brown (like Piper's) i dye it dark (about level 2 dark chestnut, like yeah u guessed it, Piper) my hair is not damaged very much from the dye. I get it done at a salon and do not heat style (since about 2 months ago) My hair frizzes easily. I use a moisture mask often and use ACV to clean off the mousse i use as my only hair product. I dont do any wierd washing stuff, just shampoo and ACV. I plan to grow my hair to hip at first and i only hope it will look good. Do you have pics of you hair? despite what u say, it sounds pretty. Also, if you are concerned about the dye damage, try henna (with caution, it might go too red) but, i do not think dye is all that bad if you do it right, maybe try a demi-permanent dye?

Lianna
December 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Since you are so young, I think you should try going to a salon, or have some help at home, if it's your first time. I used to lighten a shade of my hair at 14, with box dye at home. I suggest trying a non-permanent way as first aswell. I don't do anything special with my dyed hair, but I avoid heat styling often, and I use oils to keep it moisturized (olive oil and vatika).

ktani
December 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
:pAs you can see, I'm still quite new here. Although new in the account realm, I've been an avid reader of LHC for a long time :) I've seen many different threads for different lenths and hair care styles. I wanted to start a thread for gals that want long luscious locks while continuing to dye. Personally I have dark blonde hair that's bsl in the back but for some reason 4 inches shorter in the front... and I want it to be light red and bsl all over. this is a place to descrive your dream hair, conditioning techniques, and trims. Personally I seek and destroy :rant:How to you keep your hair moisterized? How liong is it? Do you die at home? Haha die at home :D
any deep conditioning tricksÉ I stopped dying my hair so that I could grow it, but I find red makes my winter pale skin and green eyes pop, while the blonde is so dusty... Im a very slavic gal! Anyways gals shouldnt have to chose between long and colourful !! Please someone actually reply to this :eek: Ièm scared as this is my first time posting :p

There is also this thread if you are concerned about damage, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10495&page=139

See the links in the first post on that page and see the first post of the thread itself for details.

prettyhairisred
December 11th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much! That was very helpful, I'll definatly be trying the coconut trick :)

novemberfoxtrot
December 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Sorry for the É! i didnèt see them, and as Im french using an english keybord, the ? mark button turns into É and to find the 6 mark odly it is shift 6. Sorry I ramble :P and as it seems noones actually reading this... sorry thats petty! Ièm only 13 after all. teenage girl, hormones... all that. i do hope one person at least comments!! :) :( :P

J'ai fait un echange a l'universite de Nantes il y a...ouf, 12 ans!.... nous, les americains, peuvent changer les claviers aux ordianteurs de francais a anglais au fac. Des fois, on oublie a retourner les claviers a francais et les etudiants francais pensent qu'ils ne marchent plus. oops! Mais, on dirais, "ah bon? Puis-je le regarder? Oh, ca marche pour moi...." et n'attend pas pour un ordi ouvert.

Il y a longtemps depuis que je parlais francais donc j'espere que je n'ai pas faire trop betises!

for the anglophones, just sharing a story of changing keyboards from French to English and the French students thinking we broke them. woops!

Lianna
December 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Would be nice if you had an exact translation for the curious. ;) It's in the forum rules aswell. You can Private Message her in french when you have 25 posts.

spidermom
December 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hello. Although I have experimented with color from time to time, I don't remember ever seeing a color on somebody else and deciding that I must have that color. I just enjoy the hair colors that I like on other people. I spend more time looking at other people than I do looking in the mirror.

I would hate to have to keep up with coloring my roots anyway.

Katze
December 12th, 2011, 12:48 AM
coloring your roots is a pain, but, quite honestly, the OP sounds young and isn't that what being young is about? :D

However, yes, this is a LONG hair forum, so most people here are going to tell you to avoid damage. Also many people have been through dyeing their hair etc and are finally trying to get natural hair (I dyed and bleached my hair for 20 years - it was black, blue, lilac, greenish, platinum blonde, brassy blonde, streaked, etc etc!)

If you want to avoid damage, you should avoid lightening your hair. You can get reddish hair with henna in a natural way (see the extra forum on henna and natural hair care) and take good care of your hair by doing so.

good luck and welcome!

lolot
December 12th, 2011, 01:34 AM
J'ai fait un echange a l'universite de Nantes il y a...ouf, 12 ans!.... nous, les americains, peuvent changer les claviers aux ordianteurs de francais a anglais au fac. Des fois, on oublie a retourner les claviers a francais et les etudiants francais pensent qu'ils ne marchent plus. oops! Mais, on dirais, "ah bon? Puis-je le regarder? Oh, ca marche pour moi...." et n'attend pas pour un ordi ouvert.

Il y a longtemps depuis que je parlais francais donc j'espere que je n'ai pas faire trop betises!

for the anglophones, just sharing a story of changing keyboards from French to English and the French students thinking we broke them. woops!

"i made an exchange in the Nantes College 12 years ago!... we, the americans could change the keys (from the keyboard) from french to english, one time we forgot to put back the keys to french so the french students thought that they didnt work. oops! but we said "really, it worked for me..." -i dont understand very well the last sentence, i think is something like they didnt went to an open team at the end ?-
...i havent speak french for a long time so i hope i havent made a lot of mistakes"

its something like that :p, excuse me if the translation to english is not very good but im practicing

celebriangel
December 12th, 2011, 01:44 AM
With blonde hair you can get red easily using deposit-only dyes which are much less damaging. Try manic panic, special effects or directions dye brands

You can also add some of it to your conditioner to keep the colour vibrant.

hototogisu
December 12th, 2011, 03:48 AM
This is basically what I've done with my hair - take a look at the photographs in my profile.

My hair situation is complicated by the fact that my hair is very fine and recovering from thinning induced by medication, so, for me, scalp care trumps hair care most of the time. But without rehashing advice from other threads, the keys to preventing damage for me are heavy oiling before applying colour, learning to use a tint brush to safely re-tint regrowth, and having a good soak in an SMT afterwards.

I also think it helps to learn as much as you can about gentle hair handling and styling, and think of your chemical colour as your one hair 'vice' and keep other damaging habits to a minimum.

Best of luck!

hototogisu
December 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM
And maybe consider henna? I'm much too wussy to use henna now - I love my chemicla colour - but if I was colouring for the first time I'd learn as much as I could about henna and consider using that for red.

novemberfoxtrot
December 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM
"i made an exchange in the Nantes College 12 years ago!... we, the americans could change the keys (from the keyboard) from french to english, one time we forgot to put back the keys to french so the french students thought that they didnt work. oops! but we said "really, it worked for me..." -i dont understand very well the last sentence, i think is something like they didnt went to an open team at the end ?-
...i havent speak french for a long time so i hope i havent made a lot of mistakes"

its something like that :p, excuse me if the translation to english is not very good but im practicing

Double apologies! 1. I lost this thread and didn't see a translation was requested and 2. I thought my quick translation would suffice. Last line was supposed to say that because they thought the computers were broken we didn't have to wait in line.

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Have you tried henna to make your hair red, instead of dying it? Since your a blonde I'm sure it would come out pretty red- depending on what type of henna you use.

unknown
December 13th, 2011, 11:39 AM
With blonde hair you can get red easily using deposit-only dyes which are much less damaging. Try manic panic, special effects or directions dye brands

They don't do any damage at all; those dyes actually condition your hair :)