PDA

View Full Version : My hair was cut with a razor? now what?

cooklaezo13
December 11th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have very thick hair, and when I got my hair cut short, the hairdresser recommended cutting the ends with a razor to thin them out, give them a less blunt, abrupt ending. I've since learned that this is not healthy for the hair and can lead to some major split ends. I don't have any split ends (yet), but do you think I should get my hair trimmed (with shears!!!!) to prevent split ends from happening? If not, what should I do to protect the ends of my hair?

cooklaezo13
December 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I forgot to mention that what she used to cut my hair was like a comb with a razor blade inside.

UltraBella
December 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM
My hair is always cut with a razor. If it was a new razor, there is no reason that you should develop split ends from it. A dull pair of shears will give you splits as well. The problem arises when stylists do not change out their razors, or sharpen their shears. Razor cuts are wonderful when done correctly.

theodora
December 11th, 2011, 08:41 AM
From experience, you might not see the damage early on, but you will see it eventually. The last professional haircut I got was in May 2010, and the stylist cut layers into my hair with a razor to thin it. It took months to see the damage, but I get much more splits on the upper layers which have been cut with the razor than the bottom which were trimmed with scissors.

In your case, you can probably wait a little, but I'd definitely have a trim with some nice sharp scissors at some point within the next 6 months. Protecting your ends with some oil or silicone serum is also probably a good idea.

ETA: after reading UltraBella's post, I realise it's not the razors in general which are to blame but whether they had potentially gone blunt. Only time will tell, but there is no reason to worry about it just now.

Lostsoule77
December 11th, 2011, 08:53 AM
UltraBella knows what she is talking about when it comes to hair. I look forward to a response from her whenever I post a hair question thread.

Unfortunately you don't know whether the razor blade was a fresh or a dull one. I don't think you have to do anything right away. If you do start noticing a lot of splits you might want to get a trim. For right now enjoy your new cut. :)

cooklaezo13
December 11th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks Ultrabella, this is very comforting to know. The hairdresser unwrapped a fresh razor from the package before cutting my hair so I have confidence that it was sharp.

cooklaezo13
December 11th, 2011, 09:07 AM
@Lostsoule77
It's been three months since I got the cut. I enjoyed it a lot when it was new, and it was great to get rid of all my henna red hair and have only natural color on my head, but I am growing the cut out now. Long hair just feels so much more like "me" than short hair

Shermie Girl
December 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
My experience with a razor cut was very different from UltraBella's. I had a razor cut long bob done years ago and the stylist must have used a dull razor because my hair exploded into split ends within weeks. Nearly every hair on my head had a split end. I had to go and have my hair re cut with shears to get rid of them, as there was no way I could have S&D all of those splits one by one. :lol: Needless to say, I am a little razor cut shy, now. If I have a trim or cut done in a salon, I always request that the stylist use shears. :)

Jessibear2854
December 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I had the same experience. That was the cut to end all cuts for me. My hair looked horrible for a few months until I came here and discovered CO washing. That helped until my hair got long enough that I felt comfortable getting it trimmed to get those narly razor-cut ends off. Ugh. Never again!

spidermom
December 11th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I don't think a dull razor is the only problem with razor cuts. Some of the hairs get cut at an angle / rather than straight across _, which exposes more of the cortex and makes the hair more vulnerable to splitting.

Susana
December 11th, 2011, 12:28 PM
UltraBella knows what she is talking about when it comes to hair.

This :pinktongue:

UltraBella
December 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
@Lostsoule77
It's been three months since I got the cut. I enjoyed it a lot when it was new, and it was great to get rid of all my henna red hair and have only natural color on my head, but I am growing the cut out now. Long hair just feels so much more like "me" than short hair

If you saw her unwrap a new razor and it's been three months, your good ! Any splits that show up now can be from normal wear and tear and have nothing to do with the cut, but since you said that you don't have any, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have yet to run into a problem with razors and the whole purpose is to cut the ends at an angle, and I understand the theory that it exposes more cortex and allows the hair to split, but you can cut at an angle with shears as well. At my salon a new razor is always ALWAYS used and I don't understand why so many stylists use dull razors. They are not that expensive and it makes all the difference in the world. A dull razor will leave you with a frizzy disaster, change the darn razor !!

Rockferry
December 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Almost every time I have had my hair cut/thinned with a razor it ended up badly.

|Xei
December 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
A dull razor will leave you with a frizzy disaster, change the darn razor !!
Not to mention it hurts like a !@#$% when the razor is dull!

cooklaezo13
January 24th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Update: It's been five months since the cut, no trims, and my hair is still free of splits and damage. I guess a sharp razor really makes the difference.

piffyanne
January 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I'd really just been wondering how you were doing. Thanks for updating us! :D

jacqueline101
January 24th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I'd say protect your ends as normal. Oil and wear it up. If you start getting splits then I'd trim them. Until you get splits I'd enjoy the cut.

TiffanieJean
January 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Razor's are the worst thing that ever happened to my hair...

pink.sara
January 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Glad to see your razor cut worked for you! You've had some great growth in the past 3 months too.

I always have my hair razor cut then thinned otherwise it's just a huge heavy block of hair. I have only cut once a year and don't get split ends with razor cuts.

They are fabulous done properly :)

HintOfMint
January 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
My experience with a razor cut was very different from UltraBella's. I had a razor cut long bob done years ago and the stylist must have used a dull razor because my hair exploded into split ends within weeks. Nearly every hair on my head had a split end. I had to go and have my hair re cut with shears to get rid of them, as there was no way I could have S&D all of those splits one by one. :lol: Needless to say, I am a little razor cut shy, now. If I have a trim or cut done in a salon, I always request that the stylist use shears. :)

This was my experience as well. God bless Ultrabella for being so careful and smart about it, but my experience must have been with dull razors. Split ends within two weeks.

I think you're fine though, since you saw a fresh razor being used.

Mutinous
January 24th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Glad it worked out for you!

I had it done once and it hurt. Really hurt. It felt like individual hairs were being tugged at my scalp. Never again!

UltraBella
January 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Glad it worked out for you!

I had it done once and it hurt. Really hurt. It felt like individual hairs were being tugged at my scalp. Never again!

This is the first sign of a dull razor. A brand new razor cuts effortlessly. I never feel any tug from the razor, but I make my personal stylist change out the razor right in front of me EVERY SINGLE TIME.