PDA

View Full Version : Hair Texture and Thickness

Kelikea
December 11th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I was just wondering if we could share some information about similar hair textures and thickness. My hair appears to be 2b/2c and my pony is close to 4.25in circumference. My question is about the texture. If you look at each individual strand, it is very smooth. I would think that most wavy/wurlies would have a more textured looking strand, like bumpy looking almost? So I guess mine is very fine. It also tangles horribly on the underside and I get little matts. I always thought it was thin and limp, but with better care I have realized it is actually thick and wavier than I thought. Anyone want to share info/hair care tips, etc?

longhairedleah
December 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Not sure if this answers your question, but I find it interesting that you mention bumpy looking strands!

I have hair that's more on the coarse side than fine (but it seems my hair has different width strands all throughout), but I have some hairs that are bumpy! Not all of them though. I've been thinking that those hairs are actually damaged for whatever reason , because it used to be that when I'd cut a split end, it'd just be a new split end again if I cut in one of the thicker bits/bumps!

Weakness and dryness were the causes I think because over the past 6 months or so I've started doing S&D like crazy and taking care of my hair with oil and mayonnaise treatments etc really well, and those bumpy hairs are disappearing/not coming back. And when I cut splits, my hair isn't instantly a brand new split anymore!

Kelikea
December 11th, 2011, 07:49 AM
So, if you run your finger down a single strand of your curly hair, it doesn't feel bumpy? It feels smooth and then curls back up when you let go? Do you get little matted places on the very underside of your hair? I guess it would be the hair that grows from the nape?

Madora
December 11th, 2011, 07:52 AM
At present my hair is moderately thick and slightly wavy. The individual strands do not feel bumpy although I have a few that do have a definite "bumpy" look and feel.

The best thing you can do to avoid tangles at the nape is to wear your hair up. If you have any shorter nape hairs, then use bobby pins to confine the shorter hairs in place.

If you wear your hair down, then what you might try is to braid the hair closest to the nape, then let the rest of the length cover the braid.

Kelikea
December 11th, 2011, 07:55 AM
If you wear your hair down, then what you might try is to braid the hair closest to the nape, then let the rest of the length cover the braid.[/COLOR]

Wow! I'd never thought of that. Those hair are the ones with the most splits, too. And they're straight...

Amber_Maiden
December 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I have bumps in my hair strands as well- I'm pretty sure it's because my hair is wavy.

MissAlida
December 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Oh, the time for truth has come...Before LHC, I had a period of time, when I was uber stresful...And I found all of these bumpy hairs, mostly on my canopy. I tought it was damage, and started to heavily s&d. Then I realised, that it was no good, since the bumps started very close to the roots and went all the way to the tips...this hair also looked dry and frizzy. I tried egg treatments, (bad idea, because of the protein, but what did I know back then?)but they didn't work. So in an act of desperation, I started yanking the hairs out...one by one. Soon it became a habit. I was watching tv, or learning and found my hand searching in my hair, for bumpy strands, and yanking them out. I stopped, when I realised, that I had a bald patch on the top of my head.:(Now, I am free of this bad habit. I've found LHC, and learned to love my hair (mostly)...And the funny part???Those hairs are growing back now, my bald patch has disappeared, but the new hairs are bumpy.:o I guess, I have a coarse canopy and a medium underlayer.I just didn't know it before. And I can tame it now, most of the times...So, don't harm the poor bumpy hairs, please.:)

Kelikea
December 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM
So, don't harm the poor bumpy hairs, please.:)

I love it! So, the bumpy hairs are just coarser and wavier?

cooklaezo13
December 11th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have coarse but straight hair and some of my hairs are bumpy, starting at the root and going all the way to the end. I don't think they are damaged, just a natural part of having coarse hair. I've always had them, whether my hair was in good condition or bad.
@MissAlida I had to laugh at your story. What happened to you was unfortunate and not fun, but I had to laugh because I could see myself doing the same thing under stress. I'm prone to bad habits when I'm stressed, too. I'm glad that you have learned to tame your hair :)

cmg
December 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Maybe those bumps are just like nails growing? Sometimes they are thicker, sometimes they are thinner, depending on health and nutritional state etc.

Zesty
December 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM
My hair is mostly fine and straight, but I have a few coarser, wavier (almost kinky) hairs that feel "bumpy" when I run my fingers down them. I think some hairs just grow like that. :shrug:

MissManda
December 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I have some friends with wavy or curly hair that is fine in texture. Two them (twins) have 2b/ultraF/iii hair and most of their strands are very smooth and feathery, not bumpy at all. Another friend has 3something/F/ii/iii and her hair also has very smooth, soft hair shafts. Even my DBF's har (3a/M/C/iii) is pretty smooth with some bumps. I have some other friends with coarser, wavier hair (similar to DBF's texture), but they have more bumps.

My guess is the bumpiness of the individual hairs is based on a combination of hair texture (fineness/coarseness) and porosity.

longhairedleah
December 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
So, if you run your finger down a single strand of your curly hair, it doesn't feel bumpy? It feels smooth and then curls back up when you let go? Do you get little matted places on the very underside of your hair? I guess it would be the hair that grows from the nape?

Yup, the majority of my hairs are smooth all the way done, and they curl right by up if i pull down to see how long my hair has gotten! I don't think the bumpiness has anything to do with the curliness. Maybe my case was unique that the bumps were dryness or damage or whatever throughout the strand.

Maybe those bumps are just like nails growing? Sometimes they are thicker, sometimes they are thinner, depending on health and nutritional state etc.

That could very well be the case here!

In terms of matted bits, I don't think so. Sometimes my hair at the roots curls flat and sticks to my head in the back if I don't play with the roots while it's drying, but not matted as such...

BlazingHeart
December 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have M/C wavy hair, and most of my hair has a little bit of 'bumpiness' to it. Places where the hair is a little thicker or thinner, or where the shaft of the hair turns. The very finest stuff around my face doesn't do that, but that's the only place that doesn't. It's been that way as long as I can remember, but I didn't look carefully enough at my hair as a child to know if it did that (I had pindrop straight hair from about age 3 to age 9 or 10).

Hollyfire3
December 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM

yes oh my gosh my hair mattes on the bottom like crazy! Btw what ponytail circumrance is considered iii?