PDA

View Full Version : To Brush or Not to Brush

AlabasterAlice
December 10th, 2011, 10:17 PM
That's my question. :)

I have already tried searching but with no luck. I am currently very sick with a cold and a migraine (I have taken something for it, so it's just this dull ache right now), so honestly I may have skipped over it.

When it does its "thing" (i.e., I don't brush it, I don't let it tangle, etc) my hair is very much 3a, and I love it! Using cassia has really brought this out, and I want to keep it. The issue is, my hair loves to tangle, and if I don't brush it it turns into a terrible mess that I have to condition and finger comb out in the shower, and I end up shedding even more then I already do!

But when I brush it, it resembles 2b-ish hair more, and sometimes even 2a.

Should I comb it? Should I get a tangle teezer? Should I just brush it and get over my curl loss? I've been eyeing a horn comb, so I may get that...but I don't want to buy it if it isn't going to be good for me hair. So can I get some advice from you ladies and gents here?

jaine
December 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
if I don't brush it it turns into a terrible mess that I have to condition and finger comb out in the shower

Actually that's what a lot of curlies do - detangling in the shower.

and I end up shedding even more then I already do!

Are you detangling with your hair full of conditioner? If not that would help prevent damage while you detangle it.

But it is normal to shed more in the shower if you're not brushing your hair. That's because the shed hairs will come out in the shower instead of coming out on your brush. It's the same amount of shedding overall, though.

LadyKate
December 10th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I used to think that I shed a lot more than usual in the shower, until I read that 50-100 hairs a day is normal, and I got some perspective. Also, I realized that because my individual hairs are fairly long, it looks like more hairs than it actually is when I ball them up together and peel them off the shower wall.

AlabasterAlice
December 10th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Actually that's what a lot of curlies do - detangling in the shower.

Are you detangling with your hair full of conditioner? If not that would help prevent damage while you detangle it.

But it is normal to shed more in the shower if you're not brushing your hair. That's because the shed hairs will come out in the shower instead of coming out on your brush. It's the same amount of shedding overall, though.
I do detangle with condish. My only issue is that if that's the case, I'd have to shower every day, because of how knotty my hairs can get (especially after an intimate moment with a partner). I just don't want to shower that often...even if I didn't shampoo every time.

spidermom
December 10th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I keep the most curl (but only for a day) when I comb conditioner through in the shower and then leave my hair alone while it air dries, especially if I wash it before bed and pile it in the space above my pillow before I go to sleep.

Once I comb through it dry, though, I lose the curl. After that I brush if I feel like it. There's no getting the curl back until the next wash day.

Lunarise
December 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I've stopped combing my hair altogether, and my hair breaks less and has less damage... but I am a straight hair :)

I just finger comb it after a shower and that seems to do the trick.

jaine
December 11th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I do detangle with condish. My only issue is that if that's the case, I'd have to shower every day, because of how knotty my hairs can get (especially after an intimate moment with a partner). I just don't want to shower that often...even if I didn't shampoo every time.

I hear you ...I wish I had a good answer for that but it's something I struggle with too :(
I wet my hair on most days. A silk sleeping cap helps me a little to get 2nd day hair... but only enough to make a semi-presentable bun the next day, not to wear my hair down. I can only get 3 or more days in a row if my hair is straightened somehow.
Sometimes Caruso rollers are helpful...I can brush it out and then make it look presentable and smooth pretty quickly with the rollers.