PDA

View Full Version : I cut my hair and hate it

zombi
December 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM
:( I'm so upset. I've been maintaining around BSL or a little longer for a while, and I kept toying with the idea of cutting my hair shorter so I could more easily pincurl it and things...... so, I finally did. And I hate it.

It's not the stylist's fault -- she's wonderful and she did EXACTLY what I asked her to. I just made a really dumb decision! So now my hair is just... well, I guess it's lower than shoulder, but it's not even to APL now. I'm so sad...:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7152/6438612373_73795f6d04_m.jpg

I guess now it's back to megatek and I'll just.... start growing again. Maybe I'll say it'll be better for my hemline? I don't know. I guess I just need somebody who "gets it" to say -- hey, I understand!! And commiserate...

beckishness
December 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I went through a similar situation awhile back. When my hair was cut and I was very sad over it, I just tried to tell myself that now everything would look even at the ends! This will give you a clean slate. I think that your hair looks beautiful, by the way.

sunshine-locks
December 10th, 2011, 08:41 PM
It's a lot longer than mine ;) at least you didn't go for a pixie cut? By the way, your color is absolutely amazing! Suits you so well, your hair will grow back in no time :)

Aeris
December 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
You might be regretting it now, but hopefully in a few days you will realize that it actually looks very pretty :) I do think your hair looks lovely (I'm especially jealous of your color and shine!).

You probably aren't used to it yet - it's understandable to hate your hair immediately after a cut. And it will grow back! It's not a huge length difference; only a few month's growth (I understand that it feels like it'll take forever though). Just imagine, pretty soon you will be back to where you were before the cut - this time though, with even healthier hair.

Quixii
December 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'm sorry that you dislike it. But if it helps any, it looks really good. :)

Loviatar
December 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I've just done the same thing - made a dumb impulse decision - and I'm now back at pixie after years of hovering around 20-24 inches long. We should start an "I cut my hair and I hate it" group for growing-out support ;)

I think your hair looks lovely, especially the colour, but I sympathise - try to take the time to nurture your remaining hair I guess. I'm keeping my spirits up by thinking that all my damage is now chopped off and I can look after my hair properly this time as it grows.

akuamoonmaui
December 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM
If it helps, your hair looks very healthy and shiny. That's never a bad thing, and you're right, your stylist gave you a very nice cut. You didn't kill your hair with chemicals, you just have a.... set back, and your hair isn't worse for it.

Lostsoule77
December 10th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I think your hair is lovely. Just try to think of this as a nice fresh start and treat your hair really well. It'll grow back to where it was in no time and could be even healthier. :D

Jemoiselle
December 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I agree with everyone who complimented your gorgeous glowing color! I also absolutely relate to how you feel. I cut my TB length hair (40 or so inches) into a (12-15 or so inch) POB two years ago and am now halfway between APL and BSL at almost 24 inches. It is excruciating! I'll share that the experience gave me a new resolve not to cut my hair again once it grows back, to appreciate it more and not complain about it like I had (getting stuck in car doors, sucked out of windows LOL LOL, sat on in chairs, in the way in public restrooms hehehe) and it also solidifies my knowledge of what truly is my favorite look on myself. I used to love my long hair but always wonder if somehow I would like it more short. Now I absolutely know! I have a goal, I will reach it slowly but surely, and I will never make that same mistake again and enjoy it even more so than before.

There is a lot of pain over the long haul of regrowing, but a TON of internal growth that can happen rather fast! In the end, my hair will be the same length as if I had never cut it, but I will have a brand new appreciation and positive outlook because of the journey. It can be a blessing in disguise. I hope you have a pain free regrowing process and remember, it will grow back! Just hang in there :)

I'm sorry you have to go through this very painful experience as well :(

Jemoiselle

Kristin
December 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
We all make mistakes, but it really does look lovely and I bet it will hold a curl nicely. Try to have fun playing with it. :)

racrane
December 10th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I know how it feels too. I had to cut it short for a show and realized I HATED it. Now I know what I like and what I won't compromise on. Namely, cutting my hair ever again. :)

But your hair is really pretty and shiny. It should grow back soon. :)

zombi
December 11th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks gals!~ I had it cut almost two weeks ago, and I had been trying to give myself time to get used to it... but I've ultimately come to the conclusion that I just don't like it. For now, I'll try to have fun playing with it && do my best to grow it back out healthily. I really appreciate all your support. I feel a little better now (:

Nynaeve
December 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Thanks gals!~ I had it cut almost two weeks ago, and I had been trying to give myself time to get used to it... but I've ultimately come to the conclusion that I just don't like it. For now, I'll try to have fun playing with it && do my best to grow it back out healthily. I really appreciate all your support. I feel a little better now (:

If you're anything like me, you may not get used to it, even with time. I made the idiotic decision to cut off 2 and a half FEET a while back, and, though I know it was the best choice for my hair (as it was in poor shape), I have hated myself for it every day since. And what did I do? I cut it AGAIN to appease my grandmother. Not happening again.

I'm sorry you still feel it wasn't the right decision, and I wish I could help. :( At least it will grow back, and hopefully healthier! (That's what I keep telling myself about the 2 and a half feet, anyway :()
We really DO need an "I cut my hair and I hate it!!" support thread!

:grouphug:

fridgee
December 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
I totally understand how you feel. I wanted my BSL+ hair cut to a chin length bob and the stylist was great, she discussed everything with me and did exactly what I asked, but it just wasn't me and I felt really bad because it was obvious on my face by the time she was finished, but it wasn't her fault at all, not a bad hair cut, just not me. So I understand that even though we all think its beautiful you still feel unhappy with it.

I had so much to learn about dealing with shorter hair and am glad I got the chance to play around with it. Like someone else said it does make you stronger and appreciate what you really want. And it will grow! If you don't like the change in length you can always put it up and no one will be any the wiser that its shorter.

It really does look nice though so I hope you can take comfort from that even if its not turned out how you hoped it would.

longhairedleah
December 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I totally understand, but as my mom always says, the good thing about your hair is that it grows back!

(I was not only told this after haircuts which I hated, but also that time when my giant hair (big curly long hair on a child) was lit on fire by a candle when I was little!)

Incidentally, I want my childhood's long and big hair back (I have the "big", just need the "long")... when i get it I'll be good and be aware of candles in my vicinity :)

vanity_acefake
December 11th, 2011, 07:29 AM
You will get over the shock soon, start to enjoy pincurling your hair again and (hopefully) learn to love it again. Think of all the styles you can do now it's shorter for a while. Then you can enjoy all the different lengths as you grow it again.
Looks fabulous by the way and your colour is stunning.

long&blonde
December 11th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Hard to remember a hair cut I have not regretted.
But I join the others; your hair looks so healthy.
The cut you got is actually the cut I got,hated at first,then found it my favorite cut of all times.
It was the perfect length & layers to really bring out my natual waves & curls.
I'd air dry it;still in initial "hate this short hair"phase:look at its astonishing waves/curls/health, & think "how can I hate this?"
I loved the feeling of strength freshly cut hair has when shampooing/combing,if you were washing,combing out a mane of untrimmed hair a long while.
Imho;your hair is beautiful.
But it is also long enough to bun, which will duck others hair comments questions & compliments! Till you are ready for them. :)

Shermie Girl
December 11th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Been there, done that. Have a whole closet of the t-shirts. :lol:

All you can do now is enjoy your new hair, have fun doing styles that shorter hair allows and let the growing begin. Hang in there, you'll have your BSL back, in time. :)

newbeginning
December 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I understand you being upset but I too think your hair looks great.

jacqueline101
December 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM
You do have lovely hair and the color is beautiful. The hair cut isnt that short and you may like it in a few days.

Neya
December 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Im sorry you dislike it. I've been there and cuts can't be solved without more cutting or just dealing with it.

The good news is it isn't a bad cut, in fact it looks spectacular. So at least it isn't a hacked up mess that you need to get fixed. I love your hair color too btw.
Try and have fun fun with the new hair while you can and just keep growing. Impulsive decisions to cut may sneak up on you. If your long term goal is bsl or longer than don't give in.

embee
December 11th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I hear you! I chopped 8 inches off in dispair because I had no clue how to make an updo. The next day or so I found LHC and felt like an idiot.

It will grow, at least mine did. :) I kept the part I chopped off, just to remind myself not to do that again.

Susana
December 11th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Honey, I just went from waist to chin last month. It SUCKED! It will be like what, 3-5 years before it gets to that length again.....so, yeah, I understand! New hair growth journey.......

Rybe
December 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
I know this isn't the commiseration you're looking for...but....

So pretty! *grabby hands* :agape:

Still sucks that it's bumming you out :( hope you feel better, and yeah, it'll grow...even if it doesn't feel fast enough. :o

Demetrue
December 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I feel your pain. I always regret cutting my hair. I greatly prefer when my hair is longer rather than shorter, BUT at least your hair looks gorgeous and will look great as you grow it out, even though you regret the cut.

akilina
December 11th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Im sorry :( im glad you arent taking out on the stylist though :) i hate that. it makes us all look really bad and we arent stupid idiotic people who just want to chop all ya hair off. at least not me haha. i did something similar. im finally at APL and it sucks but my hair is a little thicker on the ends now. goodluck getting it back to your previous length :]

Kaelee
December 11th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Wow! Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Is that your natural color? Stunning! Very shiny and healthy. The cut looks awesome, too. It sucks that you don't like it though. :(

zombi
December 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
im glad you arent taking out on the stylist though :) i hate that. it makes us all look really bad and we arent stupid idiotic people who just want to chop all ya hair off.
Oh no, I *love* my hairstylist. I've been going to her for a while for trimming because she really listens and does such a wonderful job. Like I said, she gave me exactly what I asked for! It's not her fault I thought I wanted something... when I really didn't!!

Is that your natural color?
I'm naturally strawberry blonde. This is 50/50 henna/cassia over that. :)

Thanks, all. :o

novemberfoxtrot
December 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
your hair is gorgeous and that's a really cute cut! Sorry you're sad about it. :(

DarleneH
December 11th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Look at this as a time to experiment because you may never have this length again! Milk it for all it's worth! Adopt a new persona for a short while that doesn't work right with longer hair! Have fun with it, and it will be loooooooong in no time. Besides experimenting with looks, try hair growing supplements to monitor what happens. Monistat, castor oil, Indian oils, diatomaceious earth, whatever you haven't been using!

supercupcakexx
December 11th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Aw, I'm sorry you're regretting it. :( If it helps though, it does look soooo pretty at this length! It's so shiny and healthy looking, and you have such a great color. <3

pennyroyal
December 12th, 2011, 12:42 AM
I recently cut my hair short again & i go between loving it & wanting to keep it short & regretting it & wanting to grow it out again. So i kno how you feel. :p

beccababesx
December 12th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Try not to be sad about it, this is a wonderful opportunity to start again. All of that old hair wasn't LHC loved, now you have the chance to grow a head almost all of lovely long LHC treated locks :D try and enjoy it while it's here, soon it'll be long again :)

theodora
December 12th, 2011, 05:01 AM
I can understand how you feel as I just cut my hair which had just reached BSL back to about APL-ish. I know it's not that much hair, and also it was necessary as I am trying to progressively get rid of my bleach damage, but at the same time it makes me so sad for some reason. I had gotten used to my hair at that length, especially to do things like buns etc and now nothing works and I have to remember what I used to do at APL.

Your hair looks gorgeous and it will grow back sooner than you realise, but I understand the inherent sadness as I am feeling the same way right now. Just looking at my two tiny plaits makes me want to weep. (not just because they're shorter but they're about half the width they were 3 months ago because of the shed-that-never-ends)

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Everytime I want to cut my hair, I come on here and read all the regret stories. I also go back and look at pics of my self with shorter hair. Problem is, my hair looks oK in the pics, but I recall how much harder it was to care for when it was short.

I would be looking up things to do with that length hair, I miss some of the fun styles I could do when my hair was shorter, like a messy bun, little heidi pigtails and things like that.

Other people telling me my hair looked good didn't help, because it was not that it was ugly, it just didn't suit me.

But mourning length loss is why I am where I am: terrified of hair-cut remorse now so I just let it grow with small trims once in awhile when the ends demand it.

Kosmos
December 12th, 2011, 11:45 AM
You've lovely hair. Style, colour and cut. I've always said as much. I'm sorry that your idea for a cut didn't turn out quite the way you expected but it'll grow out before you know it. (Especially since life has a way of keeping one distracted!)

You'll be back to where you want in no time. :)

Jessibear2854
December 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I've been there so many times! Every time I get any length cut off, I regret it. So I know how you are feeling.

When I was pregnant with my son, someone told me hair grows faster when you're preggo, so I went for an a-line bob I had been wanting to try for a while. Worst mistake ever! Unfortunately, my hair does NOT grow faster when I'm PG, so I was stuck with it for even longer than normal. And the growing out phase was a bear.

Your hair is still beautiful and shiny, though. It looks like it might be long enough to braid, so if I were you I'd keep it up for a while and before you know it, it'll be longer. I'd love to have your shine!!

kristib123
December 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Sorry you aren't please with your length but it does look great!! Maybe once it starts growing out a bit you'll enjoy it more?