PDA

View Full Version : Most important hair cair points

Hairy Monster
December 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Hey guys!

I have been lurking for a while, and have followed several tips. My hair is getting longer again after a period of not growing, so thanks a lot for that everybody :p! I am trying to follow the advice to keep up the good work, but I find myself a bit overwhelmed by the number of different things to do, and all the new terminology.

So, I wanted to know what you more experienced folk think is the top 5 basic/most important things I can do? I will integrate more as I get used to my new regime, but I need a simple, effective routine to start with!

Thanks in advance for any help! :o

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm glad your hair is growing again and that you're happy to be on here. We are happy to have you.

Jessibear2854
December 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I'm not super experienced, since my hair is not quite BSL (which is the longest it's been in 5 years); however, here are the top 5 things that have helped me thus far:

1. Ditching heat - no blow-dryer, flatiron, etc.
2. Lurking here at LHC and absorbing all the info I can
3. CO washing for over 2 years (recently it stopped working well so I went back to shampoo and conditioner, but it really saved my hair).
4. Finding a stylist who actually listened and didn't cut more than I wanted (again - this was in the beginning. I'm not trimming or cutting ATM).
5. Benign neglect - treat it gently and put it up when I can and forget about it. Before I know it, it's grown another inch :magic:

Egana
December 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
well, the top 5 things might be different based what your hair's normal behavior it, and what it responds well to, right? I mean, straight, fine hair that's been treated gently requires different care than thick, curly hair that's been treated roughly, right?

I can't find any details about your hair in your profile, so I can't make suggestions for your hair...

so, here's what MY top 5 basics are -

1. Embrace It - find out what it naturally likes to do, and then help it do it well!
2. Gentleness - no brushing, or raking with a comb, or pulling through knots, etc.
3. Moisture - oil, conditioner, misting, finger combing with wet hands, etc.
4. Hands off - handling makes my hair cranky - the less I touch it, the better...
5. Style - to please myself, not follow a fashion trend

RapunzelKat
December 10th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Welcome to LHC!! Congrats on your new growth! I am also on the new side, but wanted to share what helped me :)

If you have not already done so, check out this: Sticky: Useful Links - all you need to know! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7804) by Flaxen - it's at the top of the "mane" forum. It's a lot of reading, but are some great articles on there, plus Ursula's Newbie Advice, all of which helped me a lot. Post questions if you have any; I have gotten great advice that way too.

I also second everthing Jessibear2854 said :D

darklyndsea
December 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Aside from "protect it from damage as much as is practical", the most important thing I can think of (though for some of us it's a bit hard) is to learn about what your hair likes--most of the advice here doesn't apply to everybody's hair, because everybody's hair is different.

Madora
December 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Above all, be gentle and be patient!

Detangle with a wide tooth comb.

Keep your hair implements squeaky clean.

Use a boar bristle brush (unless your hair is curly) and brush daily.

Never, EVER, brush your hair when it is wet!

Hairy Monster
December 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the help so far!

Egana, I have not filled in my profile yet as I cannot work out what all the classifications mean :oops:! I will go now and fill it in with what I *think* are the right things though as it seems it would be helpful, I guess I can always change it if I get it wrong :D!

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM
1. Your hair is your hair, just because something is generally regarded as healthier it might not be for you
2. Careful with tangles, it's the fastest and way to ruin your hair. SNAP! Gone.
3. A clean scalp produces hair in normal pace/optimal (level of clean varies between each person)
4. Know your hair type and the generic information recommended for it, a lot of it might apply to you, some might not
5. You will only know your hair's likes and dislikes if you actually try it (don't risk something unless your willing to pay the price)

Random 5 from the top of my head...(and experiences here, of course).

ETA: For hair type see here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=164).

Kristin
December 10th, 2011, 05:20 PM
1. Be careful with it. Gently detangle and wear it up often.
2. Generally avoid heat. i will use a blow dryer on low-med heat because I can't stand cold, wet hair in the winter. Irons are the worst.
3. Cut back on the shampoo. Decrease washes or CO-wash. Unless you have a problem scalp and need to shampoo daily, don't.
4. Learn your hair type and what it needs. Moisture? Protein? Oils? It takes time to learn that piece, but is probably one of the most important for long-term hair care.
5. Take care of yourself. Your hair is a reflection of your overall health. Eat sensibly and exercise. And massage your scalp. ;)

shikara
December 10th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Everyone here has given you great advice - Kirsten sums it up all well too because she has included the value of good healthy living as it pertains to healthy hair and optimum growth. Make sure you have tools to handle stress in your life. It can be very tempting to try out new things but perhaps try one thing at a time so you dont find yourself with troubled hair and not aclue as to what caused it!!! Good luck!

Mina17
December 11th, 2011, 04:52 AM
In addition to what others have said, I would add that it is important to recognize when you have buildup and to learn when and how to clarify. I've been exasperated with my hair before and was tempted to cut it, when in fact it just needed to be clarified.

raveness13
December 11th, 2011, 04:54 AM
1. Be careful with it. Gently detangle and wear it up often.
2. Generally avoid heat. i will use a blow dryer on low-med heat because I can't stand cold, wet hair in the winter. Irons are the worst.
3. Cut back on the shampoo. Decrease washes or CO-wash. Unless you have a problem scalp and need to shampoo daily, don't.
4. Learn your hair type and what it needs. Moisture? Protein? Oils? It takes time to learn that piece, but is probably one of the most important for long-term hair care.
5. Take care of yourself. Your hair is a reflection of your overall health. Eat sensibly and exercise. And massage your scalp. ;)

I second all that. Just learn to cut your own hair as well. If you can't find a stylist, it will really help.