PDA

View Full Version : Dr George Michael's stance on deep conditioning....

shikara
December 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Starting on my journey of deep (moisturizing) conditioning, I have been trying to source info, and in doing so, wanted to know what world renowned long hair guru George Michael had to say about it (btw he is said to have an aversion to scissors!). BEFORE you wash your hair, deep condition for ten minutes to protect your hair against the shampoo to come. Apply shampoo to scalp, wash, rinse, then apply your regular conditioner. On the one hand this seems like a little overkill, on the other, this doctor/scientists love of long hair, and his passion for its care began in 1939. Think I'll give this a try and see what happens:p

longcurlygirl<3
December 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Good luck, I usually do a protein DT on dry hair rinse well then after washing + conditioning/detangling apply my jessicurl weekly DT and BAM! Moisturized nice defined curls.

Amber_Maiden
December 10th, 2011, 02:56 PM
That's exactly what I already do! Good to know the Dr says it's ok!

oktobergoud
December 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Funny that you bring this up.. it's exactly the same for the Lush hair masks! I always thought it was really weird, because you would deep condition and then wash it all out! But I guess it could be protecting the ends, never thought about it that way.

silverjen
December 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm a huge fan of pre-wash oiling, so yes, I'd agree this is a good thing to do!

mneh
December 10th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Starting on my journey of deep (moisturizing) conditioning, I have been trying to source info, and in doing so, wanted to know what world renowned long hair guru George Michael had to say about it (btw he is said to have an aversion to scissors!). BEFORE you wash your hair, deep condition for ten minutes to protect your hair against the shampoo to come. Apply shampoo to scalp, wash, rinse, then apply your regular conditioner. On the one hand this seems like a little overkill, on the other, this doctor/scientists love of long hair, and his passion for its care began in 1939. Think I'll give this a try and see what happens:p

If I'm doing a deep condition that's normally how I'll do it; I have an oily scalp so it was the only way to stop the intensive conditioner from making my scalp greasy. However, I only deep condition infrequently so I'm hoping my usual CWC methods will produce a similar protective effect :)

MsBubbles
December 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I do scalp washes to save the ends of my hair. They don't get wet or washed, only my scalp. I got the idea from Doctors Amoretti and Aisling! I do a full wash maybe twice a month.

Miss Catrina
December 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
It's just a time-consuming version of CWC, really. Sounds good.

Kaelee
December 10th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I oil my hair daily, so I think my hair is somewhat protected from shampoo even though I don't intentionally condition beforehand.

Amiblue
December 10th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I do scalp washes to save the ends of my hair. They don't get wet or washed, only my scalp. I got the idea from Doctors Amoretti and Aisling! I do a full wash maybe twice a month.

How do you wash the scalp without getting the rest wet?

ellisbell
December 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I oil my hair daily, so I think my hair is somewhat protected from shampoo even though I don't intentionally condition beforehand.
I also oil my hair every day and I was wondering the same thing.

I also do DTs at least once a week but I almost always do them on clean hair because I maybe falsely think that it is not as good to do DTs over hair that has build up. I think I may try this though but will use a cheap condish or DT because I have to use so much on dry hair.

shikara
December 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I dont think he meant for it to be done on dry hair, just to be applied before the shampoo.

xoxophelia
December 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I think pre-oiling works well also.

Rilig
December 10th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Isn't that what CWC basically does? Just closer to the scalp.

Lostsoule77
December 10th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I tend to do a coconut oiling at least an hour before a wash so it's kind of the same thing. I've never tried doing it for only 10 minutes though. I can't imagine how that would be a deep treatment.

spidermom
December 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM
I've always thought of it as the washing gets the hair ready for the deep conditioning. No good reason; that's just how I see it.

shikara
December 10th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I agree its similar to CWC but the difference is not only in how much of your hair you are covering, but also that deep conditioners are supposed to have ingredients that penetrate the hair strand whereas conditioners basically coat the strand. Many articles Ive bee reading state that contrary to popular opinion, just because a deep conditioner doesnt say to apply heat or leave on for a long time, doesnt mean it is necessarily better than one that tells you to apply to wet hair and rinse off after five minutes. Apparently it depends on the ingredients and the concentrations. Im guessing he suggested ten minutes because rather than necessariy getting a full deep condition, ten minutes will allow some penetration into the strand for more protection???? Perhaps at one time in the past, ingredients had not developed yet to the point of not requiring heat and time, and now that they hace, popular opinion has not quite caught up. Hmmm, Im going to go read the ingredients on my regular conditioners and my deep conditioner. (on a mission.......)

MsBubbles
December 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM
How do you wash the scalp without getting the rest wet?

There are many different ways to do that, but here is some info for further reading:

Amoretti's article:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=85

Various threads:

http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11307
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=54115
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35946

And there are many more! Best way to find them is to google: longhaircommunity scalp wash.

I would imagine oiling the heck out of your length and doing a CWC also achieve the same end, which is to keep shampoo off the length.

spidermom
December 10th, 2011, 10:42 PM
To add to MsBubbles - Except that it's better for your hair if you can minimize the number of times that you get it wet. Wetting the hair raises the cuticle, and the more times the cuticle is raised, the less tightly it closes. There's a term for it - "something" fatigue. To have healthy, strong hair, the cuticle needs to be tight and smooth.