PDA

View Full Version : Help my mothers scalp!

Floodman
December 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hey guys! I've given my mother some advices for her problems already, but I knew that if she's really gonna get som help, I better ask you all too. ;)

Her problem is that she has this really, really dry spot on her scalp just above her forhead that itches like crazy. And of course, since she scratches, it also beeds. :rolleyes: We do realise that the fact that she scratches is a big cause for the continous pains, but maybe you guys know what may be causing it and how to treat it?

Her routine is shampoo every other day and she also puts some gel in it every morning.

Thanks in advance :o

spidermom
December 10th, 2011, 11:26 AM
It could be something like eczema or psoriasis, in which case her best treatment would come from a doctor.

white.chocolate
December 10th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I think that your mother should visit a doctor. It might be something unrelated to the hair products she is using.

RapunzelKat
December 10th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I have gotten an itchy spot in that area before, though not so severe. First of all, she should stop scratching it if at all possible!! It's hard to ignore the itch, but like you said, scratching can aggravate the problem and prevent the area from healing. Also, I agree with spidermom that she should consider seeing a doctor, especially if this has been going on for a while.

In the meantime, I would suggest a little antibiotic ointment such as neosporin, which will provide some protection and help prevent infection. When it's healed a bit (no more bleeding) cortisone cream or aloe vera are good for soothing itchy areas. I put a bit of aloe-based lotion on mine if I notice it getting dry. Yes, they look a little funny in your hair, but it beats the heck out of the itchiness. If you hold your hair out of the way and rub it gently into the scalp it's not really noticeable.

Hope your mom feels better! I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be :(

shikara
December 10th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Vinegar or tea tree oil may address the itch, and I also agree about the doctor.

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I'd say stop using all products try anti itch cream and then see a doctor.

Floodman
December 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I have gotten an itchy spot in that area before, though not so severe. First of all, she should stop scratching it if at all possible!! It's hard to ignore the itch, but like you said, scratching can aggravate the problem and prevent the area from healing. Also, I agree with spidermom that she should consider seeing a doctor, especially if this has been going on for a while.

In the meantime, I would suggest a little antibiotic ointment such as neosporin, which will provide some protection and help prevent infection. When it's healed a bit (no more bleeding) cortisone cream or aloe vera are good for soothing itchy areas. I put a bit of aloe-based lotion on mine if I notice it getting dry. Yes, they look a little funny in your hair, but it beats the heck out of the itchiness. If you hold your hair out of the way and rub it gently into the scalp it's not really noticeable.

Hope your mom feels better! I know how frustrating that kind of thing can be :(

Thanks for your sympathy! :) I'll tell her about your suggestions!

RapunzelKat
December 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for your sympathy! :) I'll tell her about your suggestions!

You're welcome, I hope they help! I was just noticing that I forgot to mention in my original post that mine is just a case if severe dry skin. It seems to turn up mostly in the colder, dryer winter months.

Catladyintown
December 11th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Floodman My mom is 73 years young and she is a Diabetic with a lot of health problems. In her sixty she would sometime listen to me and I would help with her hair. But when she was 72 and now 73 she was going bald very badly do to her health and her scratching her head. So I bought her JBCO shampoo and their Hair Food, plus she now use Khus Khus butter for her skin. Her hair is growing like a weed plus she gets it permed every 4 or 5 months. Her hair has never looked better for over twenty years her hair looked fried and awful but now everyone at the nursing home is giving her compliments. And now I have told the staff about JBCO products and they are liking them also. JBCO products are not just for ethnic people but for everyone. Here is a link to were I buy her hair products. By the way I am not affiliated with JBCO in any way.
http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/hair/
http://www.ayurnaturalbeauty.com/brands/Tropic-Isle-Living.html
I believe their price are reasonable and their S&H is very well priced and fast service also.HTH:D

BlazingHeart
December 11th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I get severe scalp itching and flaking if I use sulfate shampoos, and my scalp also forms these scab-like things that bleed if I try to remove them. Switching to a shampoo bar has made a world of difference for me. I also added an ACV rinse.

A lot of gels are very irritating. I would suggest trying to get your mother to switch to pure aloe vera gel. It won't hold as firmly, but it won't irritate her scalp.