PDA

View Full Version : Mom and me: are we really so different?

noelgirl
December 10th, 2011, 07:34 AM
My mom and I both have thick, wurly hair, and we treat it completely differently. She heat-styles daily, colors monthly, and keeps hers short, while I . . . well, I'm on LHC ;) The funny thing, though, is that when we get hair compliments, our thought processes are actually very much the same! Now, she taught me well that the polite thing to do is to accept any compliment gracefully, but she has said that when she gets a compliment on her hair, what she really wants to say is "It's not really so perfect. You should see it when ______." I just realized that I have the very same thoughts when someone compliments mine! Although of course the contents of the blank are different.

What are other people's experiences with handed-down attitudes about their hair?

SunShinesOnWint
December 10th, 2011, 07:41 AM
My mom never likes my hair colors..That is about all she has ever said about hair..It is funny though, when she was a teen mom and for many years after she had the longest hair, all the way to her butt....But shortly after I cam along it was cut and stayed really short the rest of her life...

Now that my hair is getting long, i look at her pics, our hair is so different..Hers was thinner, and mine isn't too think but more so than hers...

She didn't pass any hair tips to me...too bad, could have forged a bind early!

Oh, I like how your mom answers positively, I need to keep in mind to do that because i also want to go into negitive mode...

Becky9679
December 10th, 2011, 08:16 AM
My mother and I are often jealous of each others hair! She has very curly hair naturally, somewhere in the '3' bracket and absolutely hates it. She was bullied in school because of her curls and did everything she could to get rid of them (no heat straighteners back then of course!). Her hair is absolutely beautiful when she just lets it be, but she says she can't be bothered making the effort to look after her curls properly.

My hair is a 1, used to be 1a when I was younger but seems to have gained a very slight wave over the years. I love having straight hair but some days when it's just lying really flat and I can't do anything with it I wish for the body and thickness of curls. At least when I feel like that I have the option of heatless styling (braid waves and rag curls) to fall back on!

Lostsoule77
December 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
My Mom & I had completely different hair. Hers was thin & 1a, mine is thicker and around 2c. As for handed down attitudes, I'm not sure that I have any. My mother was pretty natural and really only did anything to her hair for special occasions. For that she would curl her hair and mine. She wouldn't let me get bangs until I wore her down in sixth grade and allowed me to dye my hair purple in 10th grade as long as I didn't dye the top layer. Other than that I don't recall anything concerning my mom and my hair. :shrug:

Mairéad
December 10th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have no clue what my mom's hair is supposed to look like. I can tell it's supposed to be some sort of curly. It's gotten curlier as she has aged. It looks like if she didn't wash it twice a day, make it platinum, and RIP the brush through it she might have 2c or 3a but most days it looks like cotton candy. Even though she doesn't get hair cuts it doesn't grow. It just breaks and breaks.

When I was young she had the biggest, prettiest curls and her hair was medium auburn. She doesn't have an aversion to curls; she just started brushing it when she had two straight haired twins. She tired to convince me to get a perm when I was 8. I think since I look so much like her she wanted me to have her hair, too.

rchorr
December 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM
My mom was never allowed to cut her hair when she was young. So, when I was young, I wasn't allowed to grow it out until I could completely take care of it myself. Now, my daughter LOVES her long hair! I think it's the ATTITUDE more than anything!

RCHORR'

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM
My mom had long hair until she was in her teens then she cut it. She never shared any hair tips with me or did she like really long hair on me. When I mean long hair I mean tail bone or longer. Her hair type is different then mine.

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
My mom had BSL-waist length hair as a teen but she's kept it around shoulder-length for a couple years at least. I'm not envious of her hair in the least. She rips a brush through it (when she bothers to do anything with it at all). Honestly I see her hair in its greaseball state more often than not. She's into sort of the grunge look I guess. But hey, if that's what makes her happy, fine by me.

honeydippedxo
December 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I always loved long hair and had long hair for the majority of my life. My mom on the other hand loves short hair and has always had short hair from what I know about her and pictures I've seen. She was so beautiful with her short hair as a young girl and still looks great now. But I've always been curious to see her with long hair. I've always tried to convince her to grow it out at least to BSL but she says she likes to cut her hair because she thinks her hair is ugly. I personally love her hair. It seems like she's letting it grow out a bit, she's at APL right now but I'm not gonna ask her or she might run out and get a cut.

misspurdy06
December 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM
My mom got me addicted to hair color. Since TLHC I have been able to kick the box color habit but still use lemon juice and sun in for my slightly darker roots.

I have abandoned everything my mom taught me about haircare and I am now trying to teach her some things.

She just bleached her hair again and it was extra crispy. She actually asked me for advice and she actually used my advice and she was pleasantly surprised that it worked.

I knew it would work but she needed some empirical evidence.

With my mom and I it's more me teaching her than the other way around.

LadyKate
December 10th, 2011, 09:57 PM
My mom and I have very different hair and very different taste in hair. I love my hair long (just to the top of my hips, longest it's ever been!), she prefers my hair short. Her hair is almost pin straight, mine is not curly, but definitely wavy. She blowdries regularly, I used to occasionally but couldn't be bothered to do it very often (now never). She's never colored, I used to dye mine red (loved the color, hated the damage). She has finally admitted, somewhat grudgingly that while she doesn't prefer the braided updos that I like, they at least look well done!