PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing hair with water everyday

SopphireGem
December 10th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I shower my hair everyday (not shampooing everyday); is this ok for the hair, or does it cause more hair loss as the hair is more fragile when wet? If I don't rinse it with water everyday, it gets greasy quicker and so I'd shampoo it more frequently, which is not very good for the hair.

Aerin
December 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I think I can answer this since I asked a similar question a couple of months ago.

Getting the hair wet exposes it to more damage, since when its wet it can get stretched and other kinds of damage easier. But since I work out most days of the week, I usually end up getting my hair wet daily. So it's not the greatest thing, but not the most damaging thing you can do to your hair. There are plenty of people here who wash daily/most days.

isabelx
December 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I agree with Aerin, I wouldn't wet my hair every day but it's not the most damaging thing you can do to it. Maybe try a dry shampoo to combat greasiness?

prosperina
December 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Dry shampoo is really nice. It saves me on some days in the middle of the week. You could also just get a spray bottle and spray your hair down--seems easier than rinsing it in the shower. I like to wet down my ends, especially in the winter, because this time of year my hair gets SO dry the second or third day after washing.

Mairéad
December 10th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I usually hop in the shower in the morning to wake up and to help soothe my sinuses but I think my hair feels weird if I don't wet it. It's not really dry or greasy, just weird. So I wet it every morning and it feels fine once it dries. I take my full showers at night and wet my hair again so I can leave coconut oil in.

I can see how it could create problems for some but I haven't noticed anything in the way of increased shedding, splitting, or breaking. My hair doesn't tangle much at all and water tends to detangle it. It could of course do the opposite for others.

I think I can cut out wetting my hair in the morning once it's long enough to put up but until then wetting it every morning is the only thing making it look and feel sane. I do what makes my hair feel and look better.

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 09:35 AM
We have members that WO everyday, CO everyday, and even shampoo everyday.

Hair loss implies from the root (at least to me), and something that shouldn't occur, different from shedding. I don't see how washing more would cause hair loss, or more shedding either, you'll probably see your shedding more often, but in less quantities than say, if you washed/detangled twice a week.

For some people the act of not washing as needed will cause shedding, due to the build-up on the scalp (build-up of anything, not just "cones").

You will get breakage if you don't handle the wet hair with care. Personally, my damp hair is smoother and easier to detangle with a comb than my dry hair, which needs the tangle teezer.

Madora
December 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I shower my hair everyday (not shampooing everyday); is this ok for the hair, or does it cause more hair loss as the hair is more fragile when wet? If I don't rinse it with water everyday, it gets greasy quicker and so I'd shampoo it more frequently, which is not very good for the hair.

As others have mentioned, if you wet it every day, then that means you have to detangle it, and detangling can lead to damage if you're not careful.

Also, if you continue with the water, it will eventually strip your hair of your natural oil, leaving it like straw.

Dry shampoos clean by means of friction, plus you have to use more rinsing action to get rid of the stuff, which is not conducive to being gentle with your hair.

To remove some of the oil, try putting a child's cotton sock over your brush and then brushing your hair/scalp.

If you are having trouble with greasies, then shampooing twice a week with a gentle shampoo and then conditioning might be a better proposition (try diluting both).

vanillabones
December 10th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I wash daily with non sulphate shampoo. Dry shampoo was my bestfriend for a long time... but I felt it was doing more damage with the friction and having to wash harder to get it all out than it takes to just gently shampoo everyday.
When I wet my hair when it is greasy it just gets more greasy after it dries =/ but if it works for you, I'd stick to id, or do CO every day which many people here do.

I would love to try Madora's idea with the brush and a sock... but that scares me that it will make my hair even more greasy... I don't brush my hair around the scalp.. I don't even comb it there because it will make my hair greasy! I wish I could get by with shampooing twice a week! But then I couldn't go to my jobs because my hair wouldn't be appropriate for being seen in public... even showering every other day looks like I don't wash my hair ever and I feel selfconscious. I used to barely wash it when I didn't have jobs though.

SopphireGem
December 11th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Thank you all for your replies! I think I do take good care when it's wet, so it shouldn't be a problem wetting it everyday :) I'll try and shampoo less regularly using a sulfate-free shampoo; firstly I have to use up my sulfate shampoo! I've tried stretching my washes, but my hair gets really greasy and seems to have a strange smell if I don't shampoo it every 2-3 days, but hopefully I can stretch my washes after I start using sulfate-free shampoo :D