PDA

View Full Version : Bangs... should I grow them out or no?

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2011, 02:44 AM
So I'm getting excited because my hair is finally long enough that I can start doing some fantasy hairstyles. The problem? The fine fringe that I cut not too long ago. Most fantasy hairstyles require the frontmost sections of hair to be pulled back. I love this look. While I like the bangs look for if my hair is completely up (in a bun for instance), I'm not fond of having to style them. More often than not, I just let them airdry off to the side and look blah. Which brings me to the question. Grow them out or live with 'em? I'd been wanting bangs again for some time and they do look cute on me when styled...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/ArienEllariel/Photo_00038-1.jpg

at least until the ever present humidity messes with them.

But I'm starting to think they're annoying. I get sweatier quicker with bangs... They seperate all the time, get oily quick, and yeah. The only reason I wanted them in the first place was because Torrin's looked so cute on her and they helped frame my face when my hair is pulled back. Ugh. I dunno. Opinions anyone?

IMHO fantasy hairstyles just don't look the same with bangs. If I ever want to cosplay as Eowyn or something these would detract from the overall look.

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I'm noticing I'm pinning them back more than wearing them down too..

Capybara
December 10th, 2011, 03:12 AM
It sounds like you have a few reasons to grow them out. What are your reasons for keeping them? Do the ones to grow them out overrule?

I've been told by quite a few people that I look better with bangs than without. I agree with them. However, I don't like having hair in my eyes, so my bangs are usually kept somewhere between nose and chin. They're not the exact bangs that look best for me, but I can still pin them back when needed. Maybe longer bangs would give you the best of both worlds? You could conceal them in a fantasy hairstyle, yet still have the cute look you want without them?

bettylibertine
December 10th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I'd say if you're feeling like they're getting in your way, and that you're pinning them back more than wearing them out - go for it!
If you find yourself missing them you can always cut them back in again :)

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I'd say keep them and pin them back for variety.

Carolyn
December 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM
If it was me I'd grow them out. I think the bang thing is being way overdone.

Zesty
December 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Right now my bangs are just past chin length, and I can't decide if I should trim them back or just let them grow out. I'm erring on the side of letting them grow because I can always cut them back in... but I feel like I need something to soften the severity of the updos I wear every day. On the other hand, I hate having them in my face, and they get greasy fast.

I'm sorry I'm so unhelpful! I hope you can figure out what to do with yours, though... And maybe I'll make my own thread like this later lol.

ashleyrox
December 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I agree with jacqueline101.

Lostsoule77
December 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I'd say keep them and pin them back for variety.

This is a really good option. I'm a list kinda girl though so I'd suggest making a pro and con list for having bangs then whichever side is longer go with it. If you grow them out you can always cut them back in if you change your mind.

CarpeDM
December 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
In my opinion, I think you should grow them out...

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 09:21 AM
My general advice about bangs is that if you need heat to tame them and they aren't "confortable" (clingy) you should grow them out. Specially if it frizzes or looses shape in humid weather like mine did even after flat ironing...:p Plus your fantasy updos will look "cleaner" without the bangs pinned back, specially if some bobby pins can be seen. And I think you'll look great showing a little more of your face. :)

Lunarise
December 11th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Grow them out! I've had bangs forever and they are just a pain in the butt most of the time. Besides, not sure about you, but I had to blow dry my bangs everyday or they'd just be weird and icky... and heat is bad.

Oksana
December 11th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I would say grow them out, if you don't like them they are very easy to just cut back in. I have been growing mine out since may and my hair is so much easier to deal with without them!

Mina17
December 11th, 2011, 05:04 AM
I would say grow them to between nose and chin length. They can be left down to frame the face and soften the look when hair is pulled back, but they don't have the modern look of blunt bangs.

|Xei
December 11th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Grow them out :) If it doesn't work out for you, it's really easy and quick to cut them again.

luzakat
December 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I would say grow them to between nose and chin length. They can be left down to frame the face and soften the look when hair is pulled back, but they don't have the modern look of blunt bangs.
:thumbsup:And if you do pin them back the pins will be farther back on your head and less obvious from the front.

spidermom
December 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM
If it were me - easy - I'd grow them out.

arith
December 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I was in the same boat as you, and in the end I decided to grow them out, because even though I liked them a lot they were more a pain than anything else, they got in my eyes all the lime, gave me acne, and unless I styled them I was the frizz monster!. So if you feel it would be more practical and comfy, I would grow them.

Deborah
December 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
If it were me, I'd grow them out.

Callque
December 18th, 2011, 03:37 AM
If I were you, I'd probably grow my bangs out into long, (probably around the chin area) side swept bangs that you could leave to frame your face or simply bobby-pin it back when doing updo's to where the bobby-pin is far back enough to not be noticeable. That way you have the best of both worlds! :)

If you do fantasy-style hairstyles often enough to where bangs are more of a hassle than anything else, then by all means I think you should go ahead and grow them out. You sound like you're leaning towards that anyway... ;)