PDA

View Full Version : Static hair

Lianna
December 9th, 2011, 04:41 PM
So I read about people buying wood combs to cut down on static but what does static hair looks like? Do they mean the normal frizzies? Would just a wooden comb be enough if that's the case? Frizz is usually made by hair texture, just a wooden comb to "fix it" seems pretty impossible to me.

I tried to google images but I only found pictures that seem over the top like this one (http://www.myfavoriteeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Hay-Static-Hair-3.jpg).

If anyone could describe or show me pictures, I'd really appreciate. Thanks.

Libbylou
December 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
The static that I think of is the static where you rub a balloon on your hair and it sticks up and clings to your skin. This happens to us that live in a winter climate when the heating kicks in.
In good ole' Ohio we use humidifiers in winter and de-humidifiers in summer.

Lianna
December 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM
The static that I think of is the static where you rub a balloon on your hair and it sticks up and clings to your skin. This happens to us that live in a winter climate when the heating kicks in.

Thank you. Where I live we barely have cold weather, maybe that's why I don't know much about this. I've had static clothes but hair not yet.

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I use a dryer sheet rub it over my hair and it gets rid of the static.

candycandace
December 9th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I heard that using cones is supposed to tame frizz and static.

Miss Catrina
December 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
That picture honestly isn't that far off from what my hair used to do... but those were the days when I honestly didn't know enough to use conditioner.

I've used a wooden comb before and never found it to cut down on static at all. If anything it had the opposite effect on me.

cmg
December 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM
That photo isnt over the top at all. Thats how it looks. In some weather types it was horrible and wouldnt stay put regardless what I did. It raised itself behind the head band and makes sparkling noises. Looks ridiculous, but what can you do? :D THings got better when the fabric softeners came. You could use it for the clothes for less static and then rub some over the head as well.

Lianna
December 9th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Oh, I just thought it was "over the top" because I've never seen hair like this in real life and thought the little boy's hair was made like this on purpose. You guys have been very helpful, thank you.

I wanted to learn to differentiate frizzy from static, and seems like I can now. :)

UltraBella
December 9th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Static in your hair is the WORST ! I really hate static. Thankfully, we have a humidifier built into our heating and cooling system, so the air in our house is moist even though I live in a terribly dry climate.

white.chocolate
December 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
The picture you found is less of the static hair a number of us experience. Imagine that a few strands of your hair are attracted to your clothes, the wall, and some other objects that your hair touches. It's the worst.

Hairy Monster
December 10th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I had a wooden brush once, and I have very frizz prone and static hair. I found it helpful, my hair was definitely smoother (the static was gone), but only for a few months when its power seemed to wear off. It was really expensive though, so buying new ones each time was not an option!

Kristin
December 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Static is the primary thing I hate about winter hair. Dryer sheets do help, but I feel like they leave a ton of residue on my hair. I use a humidifier every night and it makes no difference in terms of my hair.

raveness13
December 10th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Yeah, that happens to me hehe. Unfortunately I haven't figured out a good way to get rid of static.

ktani
December 10th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I just finished putting everything together and this may help, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Before all your help, I thought static was the same as the frizz I get in very humid weather (like raining). Thank you all for your help. I don't think I live in a climate prone to give static hair though, I'm yet to see it in real life. Please excuse my ignorance about the subject, even though I've been here for two years *sigh* I apologize in advance if any wording I used was offending, I do not mean it that way, I was just trying to express my doubts. I wish you all to find answers for your problems, and if this thread was helpful for that I'm glad.

I hope you all give mineral oil a chance, according to ktani's article. I personally use hair treatments that contain mineral oil with sucess.

ktani
December 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Before all your help, I thought static was the same as the frizz I get in very humid weather (like raining). Thank you all for your help. I don't think I live in a climate prone to give static hair though, I'm yet to see it in real life. Please excuse my ignorance about the subject, even though I've been here for two years *sigh* I apologize in advance if any wording I used was offending, I do not mean it that way, I was just trying to express my doubts. I wish you all to find answers for your problems, and if this thread was helpful for that I'm glad.

I hope you all give mineral oil a chance, according to ktani's article. I personally use hair treatments that contain mineral oil with sucess.

If there is mineral oil in your hair care products, along with the standard antistatic ingredients like quats, that may be why you have not seen it in your hair.

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
If there is mineral oil in your hair care products, along with the standard antistatic ingredients like quats, that may be why you have not seen it in your hair.

No mineral oil or quats in my shampoo and conditioner, which I use everyday. I just use olive oil or the vatika oil as leave-in (finally got around that coconut:D). I have this "hair mask" with mineral oil but I only use it about twice a month. So maybe, but my weather is hot and humid, which seems to be the opposite people say they have problems with static, plus my natural frizz is enough to tame. :p:run:

ktani
December 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
No mineral oil or quats in my shampoo and conditioner, which I use everyday. I just use olive oil or the vatika oil as leave-in (finally got around that coconut:D). I have this "hair mask" with mineral oil but I only use it about twice a month. So maybe, but my weather is hot and humid, which seems to be the opposite people say they have problems with static, plus my natural frizz is enough to tame. :p:run:

In humid weather I get no static period, on clothes or anything else, no shocks from my carpeting.

For frizz, there is this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745.

It works out to 1 teaspoon per 500 ml or just over 16 oz. It is not exact. You can use more water.

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I actually do control my frizz with the oils, but it's nice to try something new! Thank you.

ktani
December 10th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I actually do control my frizz with the oils, but it's nice to try something new! Thank you.

I have friends who swear by the lemon rinse.

I have thread tips here, http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2010/08/another-cost-effective-innovation-by.html

ETA: And you are very welcome.

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I will most certainly try, tomorrow even! Because I'm so tired of hearing aloe vera gel to tame/define curls. I like my hair to feel nice and soft, and it doesn't with gel. Also I'm a bad wurly, I like to finger...okay, HAND comb my hair a lot, the "no touching" rule doesn't work for me. I normally get some crazy waves here and there (you can see my profile) but I like it.

I've seen that thread before but somehow didn't take interest, but I'm ready for a new hair adventure. :D

ktani
December 10th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I will most certainly try, tomorrow even! Because I'm so tired of hearing aloe vera gel to tame/define curls. I like my hair to feel nice and soft, and it doesn't with gel. Also I'm a bad wurly, I like to finger...okay, HAND comb my hair a lot, the "no touching" rule doesn't work for me. I normally get some crazy waves here and there (you can see my profile) but I like it.

I've seen that thread before but somehow didn't take interest, but I'm ready for a new hair adventure. :D

Then I would rinse the lemon juice rinse out. It works just as well but the feel is different.

ETA: It is too bad you can not see the OP's pictures. The results were amazing. She left the rinse in. My friends have tried it left-in, rinsed out well and lightly and all have worked well. It will depend on your hair and you can play with the dilution. I would not use less water.

piffyanne
December 11th, 2011, 12:40 AM
I just use olive oil or the vatika oil as leave-in (finally got around that coconut:D).
I had to re-read this sentence a couple times--for some reason, my tired eyes read "vodka" for "vatica." :rolleyes:

My hair does the static thing with a vengence. Usually happens when I'm wearing a polar fleece sweater (LOVE 'em!) and brush my hair. Taking off the sweater, putting it down and re-brushing sometimes helps. Keep an eye on what you're wearing, as that sometimes affects what hair does.:)

Lianna
December 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Then I would rinse the lemon juice rinse out. It works just as well but the feel is different.

ETA: It is too bad you can not see the OP's pictures. The results were amazing. She left the rinse in. My friends have tried it left-in, rinsed out well and lightly and all have worked well. It will depend on your hair and you can play with the dilution. I would not use less water.

If you mean mariika, I did! I remember her lovely golden hair, that she wasn't sure if it was strawberry blonde or golden blonde. It was fluffly at first, then it became defined 3b ish curls. My memory is not that great, but it was something like that! :D I will try not to rinse it out, at first.