PDA

View Full Version : Cutting my own light layers?

FluffSpider
December 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hello, LHC! My hair's itching again^.^ for something new. I'm thinking of cutting my own layers in-i don't want to go to the hairdresser's, as i'm afraid they'll make them too thick thus ruining the hemline I've been working on. The plan is as follows:
get random locks, cut some to about SL, other at APL and others at BSL. about 5 very thin ones per 'layer', while holding the lock and cutting it slanted. Would that work, or turn into disaster soon?Has anyone tried it? Any tips?
I selftrim alot, and I cut my 'bangs' once-that's pretty much the experience I can showcase. Do I risk getting something BAD?

Amber_Maiden
December 9th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Layers can be very tricky... I personally wouldn't do it...

Cjatje
December 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Layers can be very tricky... I personally wouldn't do it...

Wss!
I think it's very tricky...

moon2dove
December 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Although I used to cut my own layers into shoulder length hair, I definitely wouldn't attempt to cut layers into longer hair! Too risky! .....And you might actually regret it after.

JuliaDancer
December 9th, 2011, 02:52 PM
It's hard enough to find a hairstylist who cuts good layers, and they're standing behind you. I personally wouldn't try it on myself. Trims and bangs are one thing, but layers are very difficult to get right. You could end up with a big mess...

ellen732
December 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I layer my own hair by hanging my head over, combing straight down and trimming my hair straight across. This method gives face framing, nice long layers.

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I agree with JuliaDancer I've done my own bangs cut a new bang line and trim but I'd never trim the back of my hair.

Amazinggrace
December 9th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I would go to a salon for layers. Layers can be very hard for a stylist to do well. You want them to be the same on each side, and cut in about the same amount, or the growing out will be uneven.

Once you get the layers put in you can self-trim much eaiser. :)

spidermom
December 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I've cut my own layers using the ponytail on top of the head routine, similar to what ellen732 said. I definitely wouldn't try cutting odd pieces; it's likely to come out looking weird.

My son's girlfriend decided that she wanted 3 layers (??) a few years ago and cut them. It looked like steps badly done, and she ended up having to get her hair cut to the shortest layer.

|Xei
December 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I cut my own layers, and I can tell you that it'll most definitely turn into a disaster if you were to cut it like you described. Since you don't have much hair cutting experience, I would go with ellen732 and spidermom's method.

CurlyMopTop
December 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I've done it both ways. I didn't find either method too difficult. There are a lot of youtube videos out there showing how to cut your own layers. If I were you, I'd search them out and watch some of them. The different methods give you different types of layers, some involve long layers, some give more face framing ect.... Good Luck!! :D

Callque
December 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I cut my own layers with hair-cutting scissors, I cut vertically, and I used a CreaClip. I even watched Youtube videos beforehand to make sure I had an idea of how to cut my hair.

It looked HORRIBLE. It looked like someone had chopped my hair with a butcher's knife!

I had to go to a hairstylist to get it fixed and she had the hardest time trying to fix what I had done. While she was doing it she told me, "It's a lot harder to try to fix a haircut than just give one." I lost at least two inches on all of my layers to make them even. :(

The good thing was that she was able to fix it and it looks lovely now. The layers look so much lighter and blend in SO MUCH BETTER.

So, I learned my lesson. Please learn from my mistake! It's not worth it!

Moor_tu_lyfe
December 18th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I cut my own layers, and I can tell you that it'll most definitely turn into a disaster if you were to cut it like you described. Since you don't have much hair cutting experience, I would go with ellen732 and spidermom's method.
I second this idea- using the head upside method and cutting across. I use to do this regularly, and would be really happy with my layers, where I often wasn't happy with layers from a hairdresser. I found it worked better when my hair was longer (between BSL and waist). The only alteration I did was after cutting straight across, I would get the ends of the pony (while still upside down IYKWIM) and cut perpendicular to the straight cut to "thin" the cut you just made. This seems to blend my layers better then if I just cut straight across. If they weren't blended enough when I flipped my hair back, I would just flip it over again and cut "into" the ends some more.

Good luck, and check out some you-tube examples before you try.:)

Hotrox
December 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I use the pony on top of the head to trim my layers, it's really easy and these are the instructions I found most helpful: http://www.wikihow.com/Layer-Cut-Your-Own-Hair

Her hair doesn't look too good but the method works and you can cut as fine or as deeper layers as you want by adjusting how much you chop!

Darkessa
December 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I trim my own hair (as do a lot of LHCers) but I would never go as far as cutting my own hair into a style. Layers are extremely tricky business to put into hair if you dont already have layers, trimming existing layers is super simple.
If you insist on not going to a stylist, watch a TON of videos on how to do it.

I watched this one the other day. Not sure if its the cut youre looking for, but I hope it helps! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8PFCEwm6E&feature=BFa&list=HL1324222718&lf=mh_lolz

Pazita!
December 18th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I cut my own hair (layers too), the first time I did it I follow this tutorial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyo7DXKT3lg
The girl straightens her hair before she cuts it, I avoid this step.

Hollyfire3
December 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Somehow this sounds scary, i would not attempt any method until you are sure you will be ok with ANY of the results. Cutting your own hair into layers, depending on how thick it is, could be incrediably difficult. What if you cut a piece that was part of wrong section? I personally would get lost in all my hair were i to try to cut it. I have long layers and will not even trim my own hemline for fear of messing it up. The choice is yours but proceed with caution.

Karmi
December 19th, 2011, 01:27 AM
I trim my own hair (as do a lot of LHCers) but I would never go as far as cutting my own hair into a style. Layers are extremely tricky business to put into hair if you dont already have layers, trimming existing layers is super simple.
If you insist on not going to a stylist, watch a TON of videos on how to do it.

I watched this one the other day. Not sure if its the cut youre looking for, but I hope it helps! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI8PFCEwm6E&feature=BFa&list=HL1324222718&lf=mh_lolz

Whoa, that's awesome! It's exactly what I want to do if only I had the guts to self cut my own hair to that extreme. I've done one minior self trim so far. I've cut my bangs for years now (like, a total of 4-5 times, though) and even that's kinda scary.