PDA

View Full Version : Oily hair help

erbe
July 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My hair is very oily. Some days it never seems to dry. I use natural products on my hair, and I have tried using tea tree powders, and such, but nothing seems to help it out.

I am of course growing out my hair, but I'm finding my oily strands to be a bit of a problem for me. I do go two days between washing my hair, with the second day having flat hair. When I do wash, I have to wash twice to be able to have dry hair the rest of the day. I do not have dandruff issues.

Anywho, does anyone have any ideas for me? So far, I haven't found info on this yet, or anyone who seems to share my problem. I hear more about oiling and working to move your natural oils through your hair, which might work, if I can figure out the best way to go about it.

Flaxen
July 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Snowy's Massage Technique (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15976) will help move your natural oils. :smile:

Alethia
July 11th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I don't know if this will work, but with cats you can give them a dry wash with a warm bran bath. You warm the wheat bran in the oven until it's a comfortable temperature then massage it into the hair. Leave it 5-10 minutes before brushing out. If you scented the bran with essential oils before use it would leave the hair very pleasantly scented. I think this is a task for doing in the back garden as I think it will be fairly messy!

danacc
July 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM
If you're in your teenage years, there may be nothing you can do but wait it out. Lots of folks have overproductive oil glands as teenagers. If you're past, say, your early 20s, then spacing out washes as you're currently doing may help the scalp to calm down.

For some, switching to CO washing helps reduce the oiliness because the scalp adjusts to not having the oils stripped when washed. Some scalps like CO and some scalps don't. Since you don't currently have a problem with dandruff, it might be worth a try to see how your scalp reacts.

As Alethia mentioned, dry shampoo may be an option between wet washings. Bumble and Bumble makes products that are less noticeable in darker hair; there are other makers of dry shampoos, and there are homemade recipes, too.