PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one..

Cjatje
December 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Who doesn't have any problems combing trough my hair?
Abd what's wrong with backcombing? If I understand correct, backcombing is to comb your hairs back from your face to the back of your head?

SunShinesOnWint
December 9th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I am glad you can comb through your hair with no problems! I am not able to do so...I have done so much to my hair over the years that the ends tangle up bad. I have to go through my hair very carefully and I normally cut off the ends if they are very tangles because if I pull the stands through the tangle, they come out curly 'angry looking'

krissykins
December 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM
I don't have problems combing through my hair...

And I always thought backcombing was teasing the hair, or holding up a section of hair and combing down, which is very damaging.

amylou
December 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Backcombing is another word for teasing. Basically you would just comb from tip to root in order to fluff up the hair, which is definitely damaging.

lapushka
December 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Abd what's wrong with backcombing? If I understand correct, backcombing is to comb your hairs back from your face to the back of your head?

Backcombing or teasing means "touperen" (Dutch).

Cjatje
December 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Oh! Like fran from the nanny?
Oh, I had something else in my head :D

Madora
December 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM

Backcombing is combing against the direction of how the cuticle lays. It is very damaging.

Combing your hair back from your face is mostly a matter of detangling it well BEFORE you start combing it back.

Some suggestions about dealing with combing:

1) use a wide tooth comb
2) Section the hair off by taking a handful and separating it all the way down. Repeat until all hair has been separated. Go slowly!
3) Use your fingers to detangle (I start from the top and work down slowly, with the fingers widespread)
4) Next it's time to use the widetooth comb.
5) Take a SMALL, thin, section of hair and working from the ends up, comb out a small portion. Move the comb up the strands a bit and comb out again. Continue until you reach the scalp.
6) Repeat until all the hair has been detangled. (You might want to keep the detangled hair separate from the untangled hair by using a scrunchie).
7) When you're finished, don't toss/throw/fling your head back. Instead, part your hair from nape to forehead so that you have 2 sections. Take one section in your hand and place it over your right shoulder and let it fall down your back. Repeat with the remaining section.

I found that the more control you have over the strands, the easier it is to detangle.

Be sure and use your fingers to remove the tangles! Don't just comb thru them, hoping the tangles will come out. That is a sure invitation to damage. Also, I've found that undoing tangles works better if I hold the tangle horizontally, rather than vertically. I try and loosen the hairs from the top of the snarl, then work on the hairs on the bottom part of the tangle. If the tangle is too tight, you might want to try spritzing the tangle with a bit of water to provide slip.

Lastly, don't have a death grip on your comb! Hold it gently, with just enough pressure to move through your hair.

Lianna
December 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHv2hv9yJJ8&feature=fvst) is backcombing. :p

jojo
December 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I get tangles which I only get with longer hair. I don't know how long your hair is, maybe your lucky! Backcombing, can't really add to anything Madora has said but yes very damaging.

MsBubbles
December 9th, 2011, 01:37 PM
If I use a silicone conditioner, a comb glides all the way through my hair. With silicone-free conditioners, I get tangles.

bloomingrose
December 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I don't really have a problem combing through my hair either. I do a lot to try to keep it moisturized.

Libbylou
December 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I have no trouble combing my hair either, even when wet. I have been using EVO before washing. I rarely use any conditioner anymore, just occasional lemon juice or ACV rinse.

jojo
December 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I don't really have a problem combing through my hair either. I do a lot to try to keep it moisturized.

Wait until it gets longer, I never got tangles until I was just past BSL about 28" and then tangle city.

novemberfoxtrot
December 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM
When I was in junior high I had a perm. One day I was walking across the court yard and wanted to be that girl in the movies who runs her fingers through her hair and all the boys stop and stare.

My fingers got stuck.

Not quite what I was going for.

|Xei
December 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I don't have much problem with combing my hair either. It's not tangle free, but whatever tangles I've got are usually easy to detangle (going out on a windy day for an extended period of time with my hair down creates another story though).