PDA

View Full Version : Moroccan Oil?

Carissamarie08
December 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Has anyone tried this stuff, or any of the products in the line?

I just placed an order for a few of the products so I will see for myself, just wondering if anyone else has used this.

Siiri
December 9th, 2011, 01:39 AM
I haven't tried it, because I don't use silicones, but I remember seeing quite a few threads about the product, here are some of them:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8740

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=58321

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60923

Carissamarie08
December 9th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Thank you!

kwaniesiam
December 9th, 2011, 01:59 AM
If your hair likes 'cones it's lovely. I wasn't a fan of the smell but I'm really sensitive to fragrances. The products have excellent reviews though.

Carissamarie08
December 9th, 2011, 02:11 AM
I'll be honest and ask What is the big deal about cones? and why do alot of users dilike cones?

kwaniesiam
December 9th, 2011, 02:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with them, it's a huge misconception that they are "bad" but they work very well for some people. Check the articles section, I believe it was outlined fairly well there :)

ktani
December 9th, 2011, 03:41 AM
There is nothing wrong with using silicones if you like products with them in them.

Here is more detail, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185

Conditioners without silicones cause build-up too and some can cause worse build-up than silicones.

It is not by any means necessarily the silicones in a product that are the problem if there is one. It is more than likely one or more of the other ingredients.

ETA: More on drying oils, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=190. See the 2 lists at the end.

Carissamarie08
December 9th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Well if theres something in silicones that makes my hair easier to comb through and easier to mange like I read in the articles then I am def. using them!

jojo
December 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
no big deal about cones, if your hair like them use them. they help protect hair which is a good thing in my opinion. I dont even look to see if a product has cones or not and oh I love morocan oil, its lovely on my hair and smells devine...enjoy!

CrunchyMama
December 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I love love love MoroccanOil!!! My favourite hair product ever. BUT it is too expensive for me to continue using. :( My favourite part is that I can apply it lavishly on my hair when it is dry without it looking oily at all, just soft and shiny. Tamed my flyaways. And makes my hair smell AMAZING. Anyways, my hair needs cones. Without, it's a frizzy mess.

Amber_Maiden
December 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I was going to buy some once, but noticed that it had things added to it- so it wasn't pure oil. I'd rather have pure oil.

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Yes I'm using the one n only moroccan argan oil and love it. I also think it smells good.

Carissamarie08
December 14th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Just got my morrocan oil in the mail today! Going to give it a shot!

sarahbrownie
December 14th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I love the stuff!

It really tames my frizz, not 100% but maybe a good 25%. Yep, it's that good. Usually my ends look really fried because are the last of my heat damage, it really helps them stay soft and from getting tangled because of the cones. It's expensive, like $13-15 for less than an ounce, but little bit goes a long way. My little jar lasted 3 months or so and I carried it everywhere.

Carissamarie08
December 14th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Just tried it and it's so soft on my hair and smells amazing! :)

tokidokichi
December 14th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I absolutely love Moroccan Oil. My hair loves cones :] The smell is fabulous. I don't like the shampoo or conditioner personally, but I know a lot of people who do like it. The deep conditioning treatment is great, so is their straight styling cream.

thelittlestdoc
December 17th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I've always enjoyed Moroccan Oil for light daily use. It's mostly silicones (think hair serum, like John Freida's Frizz-Ease), but with a bit of Argan oil, if I'm not mistaken. I find the scent light and pleasant, but obviously scents affect everyone differently.

If your hair does well with silicones (mine does well with a few--if I use them too often I can get some buildup around my roots which is hard to get rid of with a sulfate-free shampoo) it's a wonderful product to have in your stash.

LittleB
December 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM
M. Oil is nice.
However, I just use a tiny squirt of pure argan oil and a small dab of some silicone serum which can be come by very cheaply. This way, I'm getting great quality argan oil and I'm in charge of the oil-to-silicone ratio.
But, it's still nice either way.

LittleB
December 17th, 2011, 09:57 PM
M. Oil is nice.
However, I just use a tiny squirt of pure argan oil and a small dab of some silicone serum which can be come by very cheaply. This way, I'm getting great quality argan oil and I'm in charge of the oil-to-silicone ratio.
But, it's still nice either way.

Sunsailing
December 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I've used Moroccan Oil. If fact, I bought it at a GM salon. They said that it leaves no build-up and washed out. (By the way, they do not like regular "oiling".)

I currently use Pearatin Nourishing Oil Treatment. I like it much better than the Moroccan oil.

Pazita!
December 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
You should try a more natural products that contains Argan Oil, like Face Naturals Shine Serum For Hair, it contains Organic argan oil, organic camellia seed oil, organic rosemary essential oil. Also Poofy Organics Hair Serum, it contains Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Essential Oils of Rosemary, Bay, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Cypress, & Ylang Ylang.

thirstylocks
December 18th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I've been using the oil for about a year, and its one of my favorite products. It really makes a difference in the texture of my hair. I recommend it 100%

angiescurls
December 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Use to use it religiously then compared the ingredients to other serums on the market and realized I was being ripped off. Just a whole lotta hype and marketing - it does what any serum does.

Neya
December 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Just realize the top 4-5(?) ingrediants are cheap silicones. You're really paying for the name.

I used to use(before going Sls free) organix morocco Argan oil and I love what it does for my hair, best smelling stuff ever And it's nice on the pocketbook.

Carissamarie08
January 7th, 2012, 01:42 AM
I know I am paying for the name but I love it nonetheless. I'm still using this and I love the smell.

auburntressed
January 7th, 2012, 02:01 AM
I've been using Moroccan Oil for about a month? So far, I am liking it. I haven't tried any of the other products other than the basic oil treatment, though. And I likely won't, because I am happy with my Aveda poos and my oils.

Aredhel77
January 7th, 2012, 02:16 AM
Tiny bit off-topic - I've just bought a small bottle of straight Argan Oil for the first time, and I've been using it for a couple of days. I really like the consistency and it seems to absorb into my hair - no oil has done that for me yet. So I'm pleasantly surprised. I imagine Moroccanoil is nice too if your hair likes cones. Cones make my hair feel nice but I can never get the amount right so it doesn't look greasy. So I'm pretty much a no-coner :D

Carissamarie08
January 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM
I think I could dump an entire bottle of oil on my head without it looking greasy. Haha it's soooo dry!

Aredhel77
January 7th, 2012, 02:43 AM
I think I could dump an entire bottle of oil on my head without it looking greasy. Haha it's soooo dry!

Awww! Mine's slightly dry but improving. Do SMT's help you at all? Glad you like the Moroccanoil. What does it smell like? Pure argan oil has a slightly sweet nutty scent, it's delicate and quite pleasant.

Falcore
January 7th, 2012, 06:33 AM
@Aredhel77 - it smells musky and sweet and unfortunately fades very quickly

If the company made a perfume that smelt like it I would be the first to buy it!

vintage88
January 7th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I tried Moroccan Oil for the first time last week and I really liked it, it made my hair really soft and I loved the smell :) not something I would use every week as I do love coconut oil but I will definitely be using it every month!

lolabird
January 10th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I use 100% pure argan oil. I've tried "Moroccan Oil" and it led to buildup. It seemed to just sit on my hair and make it brittle. Argan oil, on the other hand, leaves my hair soft and smooth. It is expensive but it also lasts a long time. I put a drop on my hands and rub together, and run it through my hair. I sometimes put some on the ends before shampooing. In my opinion and experience, it's lovely stuff. Just make sure you get the pure stuff :)

SlightlySoprano
January 18th, 2012, 09:16 AM
So I bought some Moroccan oil when i was down in south beach Miami and so far my hair loves it. Normally I am -cone free and I still use a sulfate shampoo, so it shouldn't cause too much of an issue. I don't think I'm going to use it every day, but it definitely makes my hair look GREAT and not greasy and it smells amazing!

CrunchyMama
January 18th, 2012, 09:25 AM
So I bought some Moroccan oil when i was down in south beach Miami and so far my hair loves it. Normally I am -cone free and I still use a sulfate shampoo, so it shouldn't cause too much of an issue. I don't think I'm going to use it every day, but it definitely makes my hair look GREAT and not greasy and it smells amazing!

SlightlySoprano, Moroccan Oil has cones in it, so that would affect your "-cone free" status. Just thought you'd like to know, in case you didn't realize it had cones in it... But yes, it smells so good and I love it too!

SlightlySoprano
January 18th, 2012, 09:32 AM
SlightlySoprano, Moroccan Oil has cones in it, so that would affect your "-cone free" status. Just thought you'd like to know, in case you didn't realize it had cones in it... But yes, it smells so good and I love it too!

Oh yes I know!! I read the ingredients hahaha! What I mean is, since I still use a sulfate shampoo, adding cones back in shouldn't be an issue :cool:

theresajensen
January 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I've used it for about half a year before i went no cones, and it worked great for my hair- but it didn't do anything fantastic to my hair that argan oil didnt do :)

CSallaround
January 18th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I just went cone-free few days ago and discovered that my favorite leave-in Morrocan Argan Oil contained cones. I've used it for 6 months, almost every day, and loved it. I'm sure I'll still be using it once in a while as cones should also protect your hair, but I want to use pure oil, so I'm disappointed that I bought one containing cones without realizing it.

Quick question to coconutoil-users - how do you use it? I sometimes find that even the tiniest amounts make my hair look greasy if I apply it on dry hair. Does it absorb better in wet hair??

Carissamarie08
January 19th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Cones are great , I don't know why people don't like them. If I don't have cones my hair is as dry as dry can be.

anikadear
January 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I also use cones because my hair is so thick and prone to dryness. I don't really use shampoo unless it's for psoriasis, and that's maybe once a month, but I love love love argan oil. It's the only oil I use now. For some reason, before I joined LHC, and didn't take care of my hair, my hair despised argan oil. Now, it loves it. It doesn't leave my hair greasy, just super shiny and soft. Ive tried a lot of oils and argan oil is the only one that does what I need it to do. Here a 3oz bottle is about ten bucks but since it's so thick I don't need barely any so it lasts a long time.

celebriangel
January 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Cones are great , I don't know why people don't like them. If I don't have cones my hair is as dry as dry can be.

Well...my hair is pretty healthy, and although prone to dryness, I find CO washing and oiling are the best remedies for me. I've never found cones to be particularly *moisturising*, though they do do other good things.

But if I use cones I get buildup and CO washing stops working after awhile, and I need to use shampoo way more often than I prefer to to prevent buildup.

Also they pull out my curls, and my hair seems to dislike this so it's actually MORE frizzy than if I don't use cones. And I get just as good softness/shine from using light oil eg sweet almond oil, nightblooming's triple moon oil, etc. So for me there are a lot of cons and not a whole lot of pros.

sparish2
January 19th, 2012, 09:15 PM
My mom uses the Moroccan oil. It makes her crazy hair a lot easier to manage...but I think she uses way too much of it, and it drips on the floor :( yuck. You have no idea how many times I have slipped on my mom's little morrocan oil drips...

Carissamarie08
February 19th, 2012, 08:20 PM
So I just finished my little bottle of this stuff and had to order myself the giant size of it. Yeah its expensive but its heaven in a bottle to my hair!

Moonlake
February 19th, 2012, 09:26 PM

Carissamarie08
February 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM
No avoiding cones here, I love cones.

Moonlake
February 19th, 2012, 10:15 PM

Carissamarie08
February 19th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Makes what?

Carissamarie08
February 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Moroccan oil is a brand on its own.

krissykins
February 21st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Is this the brand you guys are referring to? http://www.moroccanoil.com/

I received a gift set of products from that brand and am still deciding whether or not to try it. I have been cone free for the past two and a half years purely because it simplified my hair routine, but now that my hair is having issues with CO washing, I'm thinking I want to change things up a bit. :p

midsummernight
February 21st, 2012, 06:22 PM
moroccan oil is rather expensive. but i have seen pure argan oil being sold at ebay. its much cheaper and you can buy in bulk. but i dont think its sold by a reputed brand/company.

midsummernight
February 21st, 2012, 06:43 PM
i just wanted to clarify. when i said argan oil is sold by a reputed brand i meant it wasnt a well known brand. not that the brand has a bad rep.

Moonlake
February 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I prefer argon oil, but Moroccan oil is great for curly hair though! :)

Neya
February 24th, 2012, 05:36 PM
IMO I havent tried specifically Moroccan oil due to price. Well not price.. but the feeling of being ripped off since it's mostly silicone... I'm willing to shell out a lot if the ingrediants prove expensive - Moroccan oil just doesn't boast anything to me worth it considering Argan is rather low on the ingredients list.
However, I have tried Organix Moroccan Argan oil (silicone based too) and it works awesome, smells heavenly, and is MUCH cheaper. I've since stopped using it due to not using SLS anymore, but I still miss it occasionally and revisit my bottle whenever I'm planning to shampoo.