PDA

View Full Version : A few ?s about you and your deep conditioning....

shikara
December 8th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I would like to know what you use for deep conditioning, why it works for you, and whether your hair likes you to follow the directions. How often do you deep condition? I wanted to try a product other than oil tonight but was a little leery because oftentimes my hair will react funny. I remembered someone here saying they condition their hair, THEN shampoo - backwards, but it worked for them. I tried the deep conditioner that way, and so far it seems to have worked very well ( just an example of purposely not following directions). Also, do yiu know if eggs, as a deep conditioner, act more like the protein they are ie. good possibility of drying out hair??

Yozhik
December 8th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for, but I do conditioning treatments with coconut oil before nearly all of my washes (bi-weekly). I just slather it on dry hair for as short as 5 minutes and as long as overnight before my shower, and then do my normal shower routine. My hair seems to respond well to this treatment.

If you're asking specifically about conditioners for deep conditioning, I use Sally's Generic version of Matrix Biolage or Garnier Triple Nutrition and put it on my hair dry before I shower. Conversely, I also slather my hair with the same conditioners after I shampoo, and then I leave them on my hair for the duration of my shower until I rinse off at the end.

I think I've done home-made hair masks before with eggs, and they didn't seem to dry out my hair. However, I was using them in conjunction with a bunch of conditioning things like yogurt and avocado, so I don't know how they might work separately.

Hope that helps, and good luck experimenting! :flower:

Zesty
December 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I do SMTs whenever I feel like my hair needs a little something extra. I use Tresemme Naturals Avocado, regular honey, and Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel under a shower cap for 1-2 hours, and my hair comes out super soft and shiny (and straighter than usual, oddly) after it dries and I sleep on it (my hair feels better after it "settles" following a wash, which usually means overnight). I usually shampoo my hair first and then slather on the SMT, and hop back in the shower to rinse afterward it's done. One factor I do think is important is how warm it gets. The last time I did it our house was super cold, and while I still got decent results, my hair wasn't as silky and amazing as it usually is.

Amber_Maiden
December 9th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I deep condition with my regular conditioner. I just leave it on my dry hair for 4-9 hours. Sometimes I mix oil in, or add avocado. That's about it.

hototogisu
December 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
My usual Sunday deep condition routine looks like this:

- Mist dry hair with leave in conditioner (a proteiny L'oreal Elvive, but I imagine plain water would work) then oil with a coconut-castor-olive oil blend. I find oils work much, much better when my hair's a little damp. Braid and let it sit for a few hours.
- Mix up an SMT, hop in the shower and clarify with a clarifying shampoo, then squeeze out most of the water and slather on the SMT. Clip up, cover with a shower cap, then get out of the shower and continue cleaning the house or whatever for an hour or so.
- After my hair has marinated, I rinse it out in the shower.

danacc
December 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I deep condition with coconut oil applied liberally to the length. I let it sit, and then wash it out with conditioner.

Eggs are protein as you mention, however, non-hydrolyzed protein molecules such as those in eggs are too large to penetrate the hair shaft. Therefore, egg does not act like the "protein treatments" with hydrolyzed protein that are designed to penetrate and provide structure and strength. These are the ones that tend to be "drying".

mneh
December 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I would like to know what you use for deep conditioning, why it works for you, and whether your hair likes you to follow the directions. How often do you deep condition? I wanted to try a product other than oil tonight but was a little leery because oftentimes my hair will react funny. I remembered someone here saying they condition their hair, THEN shampoo - backwards, but it worked for them. I tried the deep conditioner that way, and so far it seems to have worked very well ( just an example of purposely not following directions). Also, do yiu know if eggs, as a deep conditioner, act more like the protein they are ie. good possibility of drying out hair??

I used to do SMTs but I gave them up as I've found a purpose-made deep conditioner does more for my hair. I use CURLs Curl Ectasy Green Tea Intensive Conditioner ( with a heat cap for 20 mins, as the instructions suggest) and it does wonders for my hair - makes my coarse hair feel soft. I shampoo my scalp and rinse my hair after the conditioning treatment - it works better for my oily scalp that way. I have no clear idea as to why this product works the best of all the deep conditioning methods I've tried, I just know that it does.

I used to deep condition at least once a week but I've got lazy in the last few months. I'm making an effort to get back to weekly treatments.

My hair dislikes protein so eggs don't do good things to my hair :(

spidermom
December 9th, 2011, 05:53 PM
My hair loves Joico KPak Reconstructor followed by the moisturizing conditioner. DD and I used it this afternoon. Worked out at the gym, washed our hair, applied the KPak, then sat in the sauna. My hair feels so good and looks so shiny right now.

blondie9912
December 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Wow, I was just about to mention Joico's KPak, but spidermom beat me to it :) Great stuff, highly recommend it

jeanniet
December 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I don't deep condition at all. I use Nightblooming's panacea on my ends, and sometimes the night before a wash I put on a little more than usual, but that's all. I don't even use conditioner anymore usually, just herbal washes. My hair's in better condition now than when I did DTs and used conditioner. Sometimes less is more, depending on what works for you. :)