PDA

View Full Version : Salon won't dust?

Amiblue
December 8th, 2011, 03:52 PM
So, called the salon I used last and asked about doing a dusting and the response I got was that they don't do them unless I am going to do it on a regular basis and have full cuts mixed in too. What??? :confused: Lol. I said that I am working on growing my hair out, so... I don't really want to take a chunk off. Just the tips as I am splitting really badly for some reason since that last cut and want to keep growing [ADD: and would dust on a regular basis (for a while).] She said that even though I am wanting to grow it out, I really should take 1/2'' inch or more off every 6 weeks. Again, what??? That would take all the growth, plus some, I would have gotten!

I don't know about some people now... :rolleyes: She is going to ask the owner to see if they will let me just do dusting. Hehehe. I would do it myself, but I have to hit on these layers until I get rid of them. Dang, I wish I hadn't gotten them in October!

Besides that, how is everyone doing? Having a great Holiday Season thus far?

coffinhert
December 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
If you're trying to grow your layers out into all one length, you should just do self-trims. What I do is take my hair and take tiny sections (like the amount that fits between my finger and thumb tiny. your hair is curly so i would grab individual curls) and clip the very bottom off. Then put it in a claw clip and take the next free section, until it's all in the claw clip. I do it while watching a movie. Since you're cutting the bottom off, but not angling it, it makes the layers go away if you do it enough times. I cut slightly more off my longer layers than my shorter layers, like 1/4" more.

And also since you're only cutting a tiny bit off, even tho you're doing it yourself and not measure, you can't really mess up.

Good luck finding a salon to dust, I think that's pretty uncommon.

ETA: You could do self trims until the layers are mostly grown out, then go to a salon to even it out into a one-length. However you can also do feye's self-trim method for U- or V-shaped one-length hemline, lots of LHCers do it. http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

kittymallow
December 8th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I would have found another salon! You are supposed to get what you want when you pay for it.! If you order a strawberry cheescake, you don't get lemon cheescake just because they do it that way?
When I worked in a salon I did lots of dustings on people growing longer hair, even thoug they did not know what it was until they came to me. They where so relieved when they found this out! It is not necessary to cut more if it is not more damage!

Delila
December 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'd say that you should go to a different salon.

Sounds as though these folks aren't open to the idea that you have long term goals that don't involve monthly visits to the salon.

karenpetal
December 8th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I agree with the comment above - try another salon if they want you to take off 1/2 inch...

dwell_in_safety
December 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Try somewhere else. I've avoided salons since I was about fourteen because they always had a tendency to "trim" 3+ inches off my hair when I only wanted slightly more than a dusting to remove tiny splits. :(

I wish they'd all just listen to what their paying customers say.

MonaLisa
December 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Actually it's not hard to cut your own layers. I thought it's difficult or impossible too! But I haven't been to a salon for about a year, started trimming myself ( more often than i want to admit) and getting the layers too. For example, if you cut off same amount from everywhere...it will be good, especially if it's just dusting - you can't go wrong. I've developed other techniques as well. Like parting your hair to few sections and then doing feye trim method on each.
Or just do it spontaneously, the way i feel i should. It gets easy eventually :)

I don't see your goal length, but I do see your hair is curly/wavy and layers are long and not ' complicated'. If I were you I'd try do it myself. Dusting is hard to get in a salon , and Don't know if you should risk it :)

QMacrocarpa
December 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Strangely enough, that 1/2" trim every six weeks idea has been around for a while. A former co-worker of mine who was trying to grow out a bob asked me about my not-very-long-but-longer-than-hers hair years ago. I wasn't any too knowledgeable, I just didn't get haircuts. She was on the salon-trims-every-six-weeks plan and -Surprise!- her hair wasn't getting noticeably longer. I hope she finally eased up on the trimming schedule and grew the long hair she wanted.

Miss Catrina
December 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Obvious money-grubbing if ever I've seen it. There's no reason for them to refuse that service other than trying to make money. It's not any more difficult or time-consuming than other services.

You could try to get around it by making an appointment for a "trim", and then just tell the stylist what you really want, but you'd probably be better off going elsewhere.

ladyshep
December 8th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Beware: Scissor happy people want to get a hold of our locks!

jaine
December 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I can see her point actually...suppose you go 11 months without a trim and then expect to get 1/4" cut off the longest hairs....only about 12 hairs on your entire head will touch the scissors. And then when people ask where you got your hair cut, you'll tell them the name of this salon....suddenly the salon has their name attached to a haircut that looks like the ends got caught in a weed-whacker.

Sorry, just being honest! If I were a talented stylist I'd probably have the same requirement.

Neya
December 8th, 2011, 06:54 PM
A good stylist would offer dusting, but only after a consultation.
Any salon that outright refuses to do X or Y or Z so has motive to do so. Money.

Dusters/light trimmers who are growing their hair out are less financial gain in the long run. They also sit in the chair longer takong up valuable time if their hair needs to be pre-washed or combed. Also-Someone who can be convinced to come in every 6 weeks for a trim is also easier to convince to color, hi-light, cut, style or be offered any other service. They are more likely to buy a new set of products every time a new cut or color is done. There are many dollar signs attached to a frequent returning client who is flexible to change.
It's not just about greed but smartly allocating time.

I worked in one of my aunts salons at the desk and it was basically common knowledge to turn away people with long hair unless they were willing to have frequent "trims" or have a decent amount chopped. she wouldn't even do anything for my tailbone legnth hair except wash and style. "too much work". I eventually chopped which lead to a lot of damage, we ended up playing with color/bleach/heat tools too much after that.

Amber_Maiden
December 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
They want more money.... Ugh.

CurlyCap
December 8th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Any salon that outright refuses to do X or Y or Z so has motive to do so. Money.

Dusters/light trimmers who are growing their hair out are less financial gain in the long run. They also sit in the chair longer takong up valuable time if their hair needs to be pre-washed or combed. Also-Someone who can be convinced to come in every 6 weeks for a trim is also easier to convince to color, hi-light, cut, style or be offered any other service. They are more likely to buy a new set of products every time a new cut or color is done. There are many dollar signs attached to a frequent returning client who is flexible to change.

I worked in one of my aunts salons at the desk and it was basically common knowledge to turn away people with long hair unless they were willing to have frequent "trims" or have a decent amount chopped. she wouldn't even do anything for my tailbone legnth hair except wash and style. "too much work". I eventually chopped which lead to a lot of damage, we ended up playing with color/bleach/heat tools too much after that.

Tip well.

Honestly, it's the only thing that works.

When I go in for a haircut, I usually want 1/4 inch off all all my layers because I am currently growing them out (they look silly with my hair this short). When my hair was longer, I wanted long layers that took her about 10 minutes to cut, but it took the shampoo lady 15 minutes to clean my hair and it took another 20 minutes of me under the radiant dryer. Plus my hair looked a mess because while my hairdresser cuts an AWESOME curly cut, she can't style it to save her life.

But I tip $15-$20. Straight into her hand before I leave. The salon doesn't get a cut of it at all.

I always get my appointments. No more hair is ever taken than I want. And if I'm ever unhappy with anything, she lets me walk right in and fixes it. She takes special care to make sure any deep treatments I order are appropriate for my hair.

So I'm a "high labor, low profit" customer for the salon, but for my hairdresser, I'm $$.

It's sad, but true. Thing is, I only get a haircut (usually) once every 6 months, and when I do, it's simple. I'm willing to pay the $35 for the salon and the $20 for my dresser. :D

kidari
December 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM

This is why I trim my hair and do all my coloring, deep conditioning, dusting, etc myself at home. I swear it's a huge secret to having long hair is to know how to cut it well yourself. Salons were really fun to experiment with all kind of hairstyles, lengths, colors, but now I like not having to depend on someone else so heavily for the maintenance of my hair.

Sunsailing
December 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Tip well.

Honestly, it's the only thing that works.

But I tip $15-$20. Straight into her hand before I leave. The salon doesn't get a cut of it at all.

I 100% agree.

And stick with ONE stylist. Go to that same stylist every single time.

I've been going to the same stylist ever since I began growing my hair. I tip VERY well ($15 - $20).

The salon will still make money. My salon has made a lot of money from me (I get my gray covered every 6 weeks and a trim every other visit.)

If you don't already have your own stylist, then ask people you know who have long hair for recommendations.

maria_asa
December 9th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I can see her point actually...suppose you go 11 months without a trim and then expect to get 1/4" cut off the longest hairs....only about 12 hairs on your entire head will touch the scissors. And then when people ask where you got your hair cut, you'll tell them the name of this salon....suddenly the salon has their name attached to a haircut that looks like the ends got caught in a weed-whacker.

Sorry, just being honest! If I were a talented stylist I'd probably have the same requirement.

I just want to point out that not trimming for 11 months (or more) does not automatically mean that your hemline gets very thin and looks like "it's been caught in a weed-whacker". It depends or how your hair grows and how easily it's damaged and so on. So while your statement might be true for some it's not something that apply to everyone.

Carissamarie08
December 9th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I used to be a hairstylist and never liked doing dustings either...it took like a whole 5 seconds and I felt like I was doing nothing..and we book this client when we could have someone who wants more done at the time..

yes we do want money, and people complain that we charge alot BUT
hairstylists do not get paid vacations
hairstylists get NO insurance benefits of any kind
alot of hairstylists pay for their own product and equipment used.
most hairstylists dont get paid by the hour but only by what they are doing

there was one week when I first started where I literally only made 30 dollars, talk about a downer on my part

dont want to be negative but thats probably why they said no.

MonaLisa
December 9th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I don't get it... Dusting is less work than a 'proper' trim, less time also. And if i'm not wrong it's same price as a regular trim? I don't see the problem for stylists...
When I was in a very 'nice' salon...they stated how they hate long hair, and asked if they can please cut at least half off. Brushed it so I could hear it break, maybe out of frustration...but did a tiny trim, just as I asked. Same price ...
I can understand logic behind...'returning client' but...to make conditions for you about how often you have to come? Meh....
Finding 1 proper stylist to stick with may be the best option. However, some of us just won't risk this search...To me personaly, it's best to be my own stylist :) My hair never was this long before, and in such good condition.

Carissamarie08
December 9th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I am my own stylist now. I trust no one.

Carissamarie08
December 9th, 2011, 01:07 AM
by the way I am not a stylist anymore because I am in the military now, haha totally different route!

tokidokichi
December 9th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I'm a hairstylist and I have no problem doing dustings. I enjoy talking to my guests about their hair goals and routines. It takes much less time than doing a "real" haircut and I make the same amount of money. Even if they are.

Anlbe
December 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM
It's annoying but it's their business. I got one salon to do S&D and a micro trim on my hair by pointing out to them that their junior could do the S&D, I'd pay by the hour, come in during a dead time of the week (Tuesday morning in their case) and then pay a stylist to do a micro trim. When they realised this meant I'm be paying £85 every time I came in for taking up 15 minutes of a stylist's time I became one of their preferred customers.

My personal moment of intense irritation was when another salon physically tried to stop me leaving with wet hair - because it made them look bad despite the fact that under a scarf and a hat my hair was completely covered. I think I'm on their black list now....

tokidokichi
December 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I'm a hairstylist and I have no problem doing dustings. I enjoy talking to my guests about their hair goals and routines. I tell them that I am also growing my hair out and I gain their trust. It takes much less time than doing a "real" haircut and I make the same amount of money. Even if they are not a regular client, I'm happy that they are in my chair.

AnqeIicDemise
December 9th, 2011, 01:21 AM
At the salon I work at dustings are done between appointments and only with their regular stylist. Stylists love them because they get the full tip without the salon getting a cut for it. The salon loves it because that means happier customers which means more word-of-mouth which means more clients.

Heck, there's only one or two stylist who require the dustings to be booked and even then its a 15 minute slot.

We offer complimentary bang trims to repeat customers with their regular stylists (or neck trims for men/women with short styles) and if the regular stylist isn't there, THEN its a $10 fee and on a walk-in-basis.

I don't see why more salons implement this idea. It'd mean more cash all around.

Lissandria
December 9th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I'm a hairstylist and I have no problem doing dustings. I enjoy talking to my guests about their hair goals and routines. I tell them that I am also growing my hair out and I gain their trust. It takes much less time than doing a "real" haircut and I make the same amount of money. Even if they are not a regular client, I'm happy that they are in my chair.

At the salon I work at dustings are done between appointments and only with their regular stylist. Stylists love them because they get the full tip without the salon getting a cut for it. The salon loves it because that means happier customers which means more word-of-mouth which means more clients.

Heck, there's only one or two stylist who require the dustings to be booked and even then its a 15 minute slot.

We offer complimentary bang trims to repeat customers with their regular stylists (or neck trims for men/women with short styles) and if the regular stylist isn't there, THEN its a $10 fee and on a walk-in-basis.

I don't see why more salons implement this idea. It'd mean more cash all around.

I wish there was a like button on here!

julliams
December 9th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I don't understand turning you away. I mean, she turns you away, she makes nothing. She does what you ask and you will be back. And at any time that you decide you might like more of a cut, you might go back, or let your friends know...... etc etc. She gained nothing by turning you away - that's not good business.

ArienEllariel
December 9th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I just want to point out that not trimming for 11 months (or more) does not automatically mean that your hemline gets very thin and looks like "it's been caught in a weed-whacker". It depends or how your hair grows and how easily it's damaged and so on. So while your statement might be true for some it's not something that apply to everyone.

Ditto. :rolleyes:

Theobroma
December 9th, 2011, 04:22 AM

Agreed. I haven't trimmed my hair for almost two years and my hemline is no thinner now than it was the last time I cut it.

jojo
December 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Id not got there again, just do self trims or invest in a creaclip there really easy to use and you chose how much you take off. 1/2" every 6 weeks indeed! PPPsssssttt! :P whadda they know?

Amiblue
December 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM

I am also not one who get all funny ended. I stay thick as in my picture (except this picture has layers put in in October so it is usually thicker) and I usually get a cut once a year (My cousin is a stylist and usually does it, but I didn't travel the 1000 miles this year to get to her). When I went in in October of this year, the stylist couldn't believe it had been over a year since I last had anything done. There were hardly any splits and she had been complimenting me on my hair until she realized how long it had been since getting a trim. However, since the cut, I have been splitting and breaking like crazy. Don't know if she used a dull pair of scissors or what. This is why the dusting came into play otherwise I would wait until next fall and have my cousin do it. Shoot, this stylist took several inches off anyway after saying I didn't need it. :rolleyes: So, I thought getting someone to do a dusting would stop the splits and breaking so that I could go on my merry way and dust as needed if needed.

I want to be at Hip/TB by next August.

ScarlettAdelle
December 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
It sounds like you're not her desired clientele.

A couple things:
-In salon speak there is no such animal as "Just a trim / dusting." That's still chair time taken, consultation time taken, and expertise used. A trim, a dusting, a shape-up etc etc etc is still a hair cut. The only difference is how much hair the stylist is to cut at that time. Whether it's a few millimeters or over a foot, it's still a hair cut.
-It's understandable that she would want you to schedule (and show up for) regular appointments if she's going to charge you less for just nipping the ends a bit. She is there to make money, after all, and budget-wise, it's less profitable for her to accept a once in a blue moon few dollar job than it is for her to accept a regular few dollar job that will be happening with frequency.
-I can also understand her wanting to take more off than you'd like. Each person who sits in her chair is a walking business card for her. It's completely understandable that she'd like to give you the look she likes to create. It means that people who like the way your hair was done will want to come to her. If she doesn't like the style you currently have, I can understand her not wanting to really take it on and maintain it since it doesn't meet her aesthetic.

All of that being said:
I still would not have gone to her, even bearing all of that in mind. It sounds like you felt pressured to maintain a shorter length than you are aiming for. A friend of mine has been trying to grow her hair out for literally years, and her hairdresser gave her the "You need to cut this much off this often" speech and she bit. In two years her hair has gotten two inches longer. At the rate she's going, she will reach her goal of BSL in seven years when her hair grows relatively fast, and she only has about seven inches to go. And she wonders why in the time that I've known her I've gone from above hip to past tailbone and she's still stuck around her upper shoulders.

I'm a hairdresser and I still don't let other hairdressers touch my hair, even though we speak the same language and I know full well what to expect when I sit in the chair, along with what is possible, reasonable & the difficulty level of each. I commit hairdresser blasphemy & trim my own hair because I know it's not worth it to a salon professional to have me in their chair every six months (if that) shaping my scraggly ends that I refuse to give up and knowing that their name is on this work that I can tell by the look on their face that they're unhappy with.

CurlyCap
December 9th, 2011, 07:43 PM
My personal moment of intense irritation was when another salon physically tried to stop me leaving with wet hair - because it made them look bad despite the fact that under a scarf and a hat my hair was completely covered. I think I'm on their black list now....

This is very common and I find it annoying too. I try to explain that my curls will look MUCH better in 2hrs if they just air dry. Or that I'm very comfortable sticking my hair under a hat and just leaving. They are worried about their reputation.

ALSO, what I truly miss? In my home town there was an "old ladies" salon, where you could go get your hair set and go home. Ie, pay $20 for someone to do all the hassle of rolling your hair. You let it air dry and take it down at home. It was very common in the blue haired set. Now I can't find ANYONE who will let me do that. Sigh. It was such a convenient, wonderful, and useful hair treat.

Lianna
December 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I think there's a little confusion in this thread (and in general) about dusting and search&destroy. Some people say "dusting" when they mean S&D, that could take a lot or little time, depends on the client, and most salons don't do that.

A dusting is usually known in the hairdressing world as a small trim of 1/4 inch or less. I don't think salons should refuse dustings though...we are people not a canvas for them to practice their art, the clients dictates what they are paying for. Salons should be for taking care of hair, not just "playing with it".

About search and destroying at a salon...would they even get all of it? What if someone has a lot and not even an hour of it would suffice? Perhaps paying by the hour should be more suitable in this case? This is tricky.

Amiblue
December 10th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Oh well. I guess I will just do it all myself. :D Should have listened to my Hubby when he said he didn't wan't my hair cut until next year if even then.

I think there's a little confusion in this thread (and in general) about dusting and search&destroy. Some people say "dusting" when they mean S&D, that could take a lot or little time, depends on the client, and most salons don't do that.

A dusting is usually known in the hairdressing world as a small trim of 1/4 inch or less. I don't think salons should refuse dustings though...we are people not a canvas for them to practice their art, the clients dictates what they are paying for. Salons should be for taking care of hair, not just "playing with it".

About search and destroying at a salon...would they even get all of it? What if someone has a lot and not even an hour of it would suffice? Perhaps paying by the hour should be more suitable in this case? This is tricky.

True, but I am personally thinking dusting. Take less than a 1/4'' off and in a couple of weeks see if it needs it again to catch the splits. I am also wanting to get rid of the awful layers I had them do in October. She was shown a new technique to use since my hair is the longest she has even cut and she kept "forgetting" to hold her hands at the correct angle so I have sections that are 6'' shorter than the length and odds spots throughout in differing lengths. My fault and I have to live with it. *sigh* Some days I am more irritated about it than others. So, the idea was to get rid of all the splits that are happening, allow continued growth with letting the layers come together again.

kristib123
December 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
That's strange since they would be making more money for less effort! I agree with the others and find a salon that will work with you on your hair goals.

ashleyrox
December 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
yes, find another stylist, mine hates the idea that I am more of a yearly trimmer, she has even brought up dusting to me, JUST come in. You'd think they would want your money.

Amiblue
December 10th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I guess I can understand both sides. They want people to go WOW over "their" hair cut and style and I want length and a style I like that also gets the wow factor. Maybe the money for doing something simple like this isn't worth me walking out with a cut they don't want. Silly as it seems.

Back to my good ol' cousin who only cares about how we look and how happy we are.

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Just a dusting would qualify as a haircut where I live. It's just a cut of 1/4 inch if I request such amount. Perhaps a barber could do such job for you...I've seen some members here that do this.

justgreen
December 10th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I guess I'm just luckily spoiled. My hairdresser can do it all. I go in like clockwork every six weeks and pay $70. I get my roots bleached to the perfect silver, get my hair massaged gently while she washes it, use my own microfiber towel to wrap it up in while she paints my toenails and waxes my face/eyebrows. Then she combs my hair like fine lace and uses the blowdryer on a low setting, using a triple dipped pick instead of a hairbrush. I live in a very cold state, so in the summer months I skip the blow dryer.

girlcat36
December 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I guess I'm just luckily spoiled. My hairdresser can do it all. I go in like clockwork every six weeks and pay $70. I get my roots bleached to the perfect silver, get my hair massaged gently while she washes it, use my own microfiber towel to wrap it up in while she paints my toenails and waxes my face/eyebrows. Then she combs my hair like fine lace and uses the blowdryer on a low setting, using a triple dipped pick instead of a hairbrush. I live in a very cold state, so in the summer months I skip the blow dryer.`

Justy--you are a lucky woman!

Athena's Owl
December 11th, 2011, 03:27 AM
to get someone in a salon to do a dusting would be incredibly expensive. dusting takes longer than a haircut does.

darklyndsea
December 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
to get someone in a salon to do a dusting would be incredibly expensive. dusting takes longer than a haircut does.
I don't see how dusting could possibly take longer than a normal haircut--it's the same thing, only not taking off as much hair! It should take the same amount of time!

blondie9912
December 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I find that quite strange. Perhaps she thought that you expected to pay less for a dusting than a trim? In that case, I could understand why they won't do a dusting. However, my stylist charges me the same price whether he cuts four inches or half an inch. If you're really attached to this stylist/salon, maybe you could take off half an inch like the stylist suggested, but once every three to four months :)

Susana
December 11th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I don't see how dusting could possibly take longer than a normal haircut--it's the same thing, only not taking off as much hair! It should take the same amount of time!
Agreed - I've had dusting and hair cuts - dusting is waaaaaaaay quicker.

Amiblue
December 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I guess I'm just luckily spoiled. My hairdresser can do it all. I go in like clockwork every six weeks and pay $70. I get my roots bleached to the perfect silver, get my hair massaged gently while she washes it, use my own microfiber towel to wrap it up in while she paints my toenails and waxes my face/eyebrows. Then she combs my hair like fine lace and uses the blowdryer on a low setting, using a triple dipped pick instead of a hairbrush. I live in a very cold state, so in the summer months I skip the blow dryer.

Okay, I am officially jealous!!! You can't even get one of those things done here for that price let alone all and by someone who is that nice about it. :D

dulce
December 11th, 2011, 03:05 PM
It's very easy to dust,you can do it yourself for free.

cubiczoeconia
December 11th, 2011, 11:52 PM

This is pretty similar to the salon I work at, except bang/neck trims cost $15 when booked, free if it is a walk in with their regular stylist.

As far as dusting goes, I personally think that it is important to maintain the health and look of long hair, and thus would charge full price. However, I would never turn it down... That seems ludicrous.

I think you just need to find the right person. It doesn't even necessarily need to be a different salon.... sometimes salon coordinators/front desk people are less accomodating than stylists themselves. Ask to have a consultation with a stylist who HAS long hair, and I bet you'll find what you're looking for.

Lianna
December 12th, 2011, 12:03 AM

She doesn't mean search and destroy, just snip 1/4 inch from the ends.