PDA

View Full Version : No heat spiral curls using a headband...

Oksana
December 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM
There was a thread floating around recently discussing a YT video of using a headband to create curls. I noticed that a few longhairs had commented that the technique didn't work very well for hair much below shoulder length.

I think i have found a way to overcome this and it has worked on my BSL and sisters Waist/Hip hair. Please take a look at the YT video first if you have not seen it as she explains the basis for the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYxS1ohz4Ao

(The pictures are from different times as my hosting site closed down and I lost them)

As you can see the problem was the excess hair left after both sides had met each other at the back of the head. The girl in the video basically wraps and stuffs the hair to finish which on long hair creates a not so nice finish ;)

So, my technique:

1. Divide the hair down the parting as if you were making pig tails.

2. Start on either side and split that 'pigtail' into 2 sections of hair.

3. Take the section nearest you face and twist it once round the headband.

4. Pick up the remaining hair on that side and twist it round the headband once again.

5. Carry on twisting the hair round the head band until you have run out of hair. It should looks like the pictures below:

http://i42.tinypic.com/1581nj9.jpg http://i44.tinypic.com/9j0v2a.jpg

6.Now do exactly the same on the other side by thread the hair through the remaining gaps in the headband.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1z3q69e.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/350oy0w.jpg

The only difference with this technique compared to the YouTube video, is when you reach the centre at the back of the head you would usually start on the other side. But I found that this created tight frizzy messy curls. So instead just carry on twisting the hair and then overlap that hair when you start on the other side.

You can secure the end of the hair with a bobby pin if you have fine/slippery hair to secure it while you move to the next side.

I normally wrap my hair in a silk scarf overnight and this produces perfect spiral curls.

TIP: When you are wrapping the ends of your hair around the band, remeber the tighter and closer you wrap, the tighter the curls. I tend to do the ends very loosely as i find they go tight and frizzy otherwise.

Here is how they look after leaving it for about 4 hours. Please excuse how glammed up I am, I was going on a night out :o

http://i44.tinypic.com/k2i721.jpg

BlondieHepburn
December 8th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Ah! I've been seeing this technique a lot lately, but have not tried it myself. I'd love to see after-photos!

Roscata
December 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM
That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing! :)

chelles2kids
December 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
VERY cool! Thank-you for sharing. :flower:

I have a question for you...does it leave a head band 'dent' around your head? I would imagine it would...but then again maybe not? :hmm:

sun-kissed
December 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I wear my hair like this with a decorative headband as a short style. Can't say much for the resulting curls, they're kinds scraggly, but that may be because my technique isn't as refined as this. :p

ladonna
December 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM
This method only worked when my hair was almost to my waist, it doesn't work on my APL hair.
I still do this to my daughter's hair, her hair is alot more fine than mine and slip's out pretty fast. So for her I part her hair, put the headband on and then start at the right side of her head and twist 1 inch section's all the way around so that when I get to the left side the hair is wrapped around the top of her head. This work's better than doing the 2 different curl's.

Oksana
December 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
VERY cool! Thank-you for sharing. :flower:

I have a question for you...does it leave a head band 'dent' around your head? I would imagine it would...but then again maybe not? :hmm:

It completely depends on where you place the headband. I push the headband right up to my hairline and it doesn't leave any noticeable mark :)

Also I should have mentioned sun-kissed, I found I got much nicer curls with my home-made headband which I made out of an old t'shirt. It's thicker and rounder which i think helps.

Oksana
December 8th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Deleted post as hosting site closed down. After pic now in first post.

katienoonan
December 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM
The curls are so lovely! And the prepping looks like separate updo's in themselves!

Roscata
December 8th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Lovely results.

vanillabones
December 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Perfect results! I love it! Looks like a great way to sleep on for curls too. I'm surprised in how it can take so little time to get the curls. Seeing as you have fine hair, how well did they hold? Out of curiosity :D

Celebrian
December 8th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Lovely spirals! Unfortunately, I have shorter as well as longer layers in my past shoulder length hair. If they got caught in the band, they'd stick up and look ridiculous!

Perhaps I could pull that shorter section up on top while I do the rest?

And what happens if you have a fringe/bangs?

I will buy a band and experiment!

cubiczoeconia
December 8th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I love this technique and have taken to using it quite frequently. Howver, I hadn't thought of your twist(no pun intended) on the wrapping. I think I'll do this tonight! Thanks!

RecklessCharlie
December 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to attempt this and hopefully it will work :)
Oh and that girl in the video has the most adorable accent!!

lesbia
December 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
That's amazing!!! I will try soon!!! And the result is lovely :) Thank you for share!

Yasmine91
December 9th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I saw this last week and had to do it myself, it came out amazingly! I prefferd to comb the spirals out so my hair came out more wavy. Was awesome!

blondie9912
December 9th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Oh my gosh, the curls look BEAUTIFUL! I'll have to try this when my hair gets longer

supercupcakexx
December 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Those curls are perfect! I'll have to try this soon.

Starlight1986
December 10th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hehe, funny, I came across that technique yesterday and definately wanna try this. Maybe will sleep on it tonight. The curls look beautiful but I hope, they will stay a while on my very fine hair.

Oksana
December 10th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I have fine hair but it does have quite a defined wave pattern which holds a curl well. Best thing to do is try it out! If your hair is particularly straight i would suggest doing it when your hair is slightly damp.

On a side note - - I have my hair wrapped up right now for a wedding tomorrow. I cannot believe how different my hair care techniques are from 2 years ago. So glad I chucked those horrendous straighteners away! :cheese:

novemberfoxtrot
December 10th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Wow! That's definitely a different result than I got!

I tried this out a few weeks ago while in search of a way to set my curls during in between washings. Hair has just been looking snarly and ugly lately. Anyway, it gave my hair a lot of volume but didn't set any curls or make my natural curls look any better. Will have to try your special technique and use a thicker head band.

However, I do get lots of compliments when I wear my hair like that as an updo!

candycandace
December 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I've seen a few vidoes on youtube using this method and didn't like their results all that much, but yours are so pretty! I wonder how it would work on my current length. :hmm:

Kristin
December 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Makes me nervous...It really doesn't tangle when you try to take it out?

Lianna
December 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I saw the cutegirlshairstyles video for it, but the morning hair is quite scary because it seems difficult to take the hair from the headband...The little girl woke up looking quite tangled up. I wouldn't try it myself, even though it looked amazing after styled.

lesbia
December 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Is difficult also for me to take my hair out of it.. I was wondering, maybe using something like a scarf and making a knot on the front? When I want to take it off I just have to undo the knot and pull tha scarf off...? :)

WaitingSoLong
December 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Wow, this would be really cool to do and doesn't look near as uncomfortable as rag curls, but methinks my hair is too long? I would use a scarf, like someone else suggested, I would be terrified I would never get my hair back out of that thing!

Oksana
December 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Wow, this would be really cool to do and doesn't look near as uncomfortable as rag curls, but methinks my hair is too long? I would use a scarf, like someone else suggested, I would be terrified I would never get my hair back out of that thing!

I tie a silk scarf round my head while i sleep and it doesn't tangle at all. I absolutely freak about tangles so i definitely wouldn't do it if that was the result :o
To undo it, I just gently unwrap the hair a little on each side until it becomes loose and then each side is easy to just unwind. Just remember that the neater you do it (i.e without matting and tangeling the hair) the easier it is to take out.

p.s.. remember the people in the YT videos are not LHC'er and consequently they won't be gentle with their hair :p

prettyhairisred
December 12th, 2011, 05:29 PM
How exactly did you make a headband outtof a teee- shirt??

prettyhairisred
December 12th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Did you wrap it around something? Sounds intresting :)

WaitingSoLong
December 13th, 2011, 05:36 AM
How exactly did you make a headband outtof a teee- shirt??

You can cut the end of a sleeve off. They are stretchy.

Aeris
December 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I really wanted this to work for me..I had no problems taking it out, however, my hair didn't take to the curl. I didn't get good volume either. And even though I put the headband high up against my hairline, I woke up with it in the middle of my forehead, and a huge red line :p

It is very cute as an updo though, and a ribbon instead of the headband would be pretty. Sort of a casual-princess look.

CrunchyMama
December 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Thank you for the tutorial for longer hair!!! I am sooooo grateful for these no heat hair styling solutions--with a 6 month old, I never have time to do any heat styling and certainly no time to curl all my WL hair--but who would want to inflict such damage when I can achieve perfect curls in just 10 minutes before bed with a headband! Or sock bun curls, I like them too, but these had way more staying power for me...

Lil Red Vampire
December 31st, 2011, 05:18 PM
Okay I tried this a few nights ago with no results. I tried again last night and added a little mousse to my dry hair and twisted the hair tightly before tucking it through the headband. I had tons of curls except for the bottom of my hair. I am not sure what happened there. I will try again.

So far this is the only heatless method I have been able to use that I can actually sleep in.

Synnovea
December 31st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Lovely. Thanks for sharing. I'll be giving this a shot soon. I love the semi Gibson girl look of the hair wrapped up like that. I'm looking forward to wearing it up as well as (hopefully) getting the results that you did afterward.

Gingerbear
January 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hmmmm...I was so excited to try this but it was a disaster! I have very fine hair, somewhere between APL and BSL. My hair turned out so tightly curled it was shoulder length like a bob!!!! And frizzy (even without combing it out)! It also seemed a little crunchier than normal on the ends (I did use a leave in conditioner). What am I doing wrong? I used a "bra strap" type headband, my hair was about 85% dry when I did it, and I left it in overnight (if that helps with suggestions).

Do you guys think a larger band would help? Or maybe drying completely first?

uptosomeone
January 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM
Hmmmm...I was so excited to try this but it was a disaster! I have very fine hair, somewhere between APL and BSL. My hair turned out so tightly curled it was shoulder length like a bob!!!! And frizzy (even without combing it out)! It also seemed a little crunchier than normal on the ends (I did use a leave in conditioner). What am I doing wrong? I used a "bra strap" type headband, my hair was about 85% dry when I did it, and I left it in overnight (if that helps with suggestions).

Do you guys think a larger band would help? Or maybe drying completely first?

I mine with a bra strap or a wider headband on dry hair. After it's all up I spray it lightly with rooibos tea in a spray bottle. After 1-3 hours I take it out. That gives me nice curls. :) Overnight just gives me the same really tight curls bob curls that you described.

Oksana
January 2nd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Gingerbear, i would use a thicker headband and remember that the closer and tighter you wind your hair round the headband, the tighter and curlier the hair will be!

Also, I always do this on dry hair. I tried it one with 90% dry hair and the curls were frizzy.

and this is how well they held out after 3 days:

http://i39.tinypic.com/a0cahc.jpg

Manny1826
January 2nd, 2012, 08:53 AM
the headband keeps slipping off my head.. ugh... will need to practice some more ;-)

Gingerbear
January 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
Thank you Oksana and Uptosomeone. I am going to try a wider headband with dry hair and a looser "wind". I will update everyone on the results, although I am going to wait until next weekend in case I run into trouble again so I don't have to go to work that way. tee hee

By the way, Oksana, I love your Christmas hair. So pretty!

Browniegirl
January 2nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Ahhhh Looks so pretty! They don't look frizzy at all,either.
My hair just wont curl though. Spider fine, but lots of it..:(

mermaid-nina
February 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I want to try this but can't see Oksana's pics, think it's because I'm new :( Will just have to improvise using the youtube video I think!!

Oksana
February 4th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I want to try this but can't see Oksana's pics, think it's because I'm new :( Will just have to improvise using the youtube video I think!!

The reason you can't see them is because the photo hosting site I used has closed. I still have the photos so i will re-upload them this weekend :)

renee2day
February 4th, 2012, 11:40 AM
As my goal is not use heat on my hair for 2012 I am so excited to have discovered headband curls here on the LHC site.
Last week I used two wide band cotton headbands together because I didn't want tight curls. This was a bed time thing. My hair was dry and I sprayed on some water that has conditioner and aloe gel added to it. Just lightly sprayed. When I got to the back where both sides meet I just kept wrapping the hair around the band. Wrapped over itself in the middle. My hair is layered with shortest layers chin and longest layers bra strap. Next morning I got those fat spiral hollywood curls I always wanted and could never seem to get with curling irons. I am thrilled with the results.

The wrapping itself looked quite nice and I plan to use it as an updo this summer.

mermaid-nina
February 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Ah thank you :) Have tried them today and where they worked, they were perfect, but the back got a bit tangled and then was flat once I managed to unravell it... am hoping it was down to technique and possibly that my skinny headband had a metal fixer thing in it... I think a wide band would do the curls looser than I like so will have to put the metal at the front next time, just won't look so nice for the day then!

rock007junkie
February 8th, 2012, 06:34 AM
Has anyone with really long hair tried this? My hair is little bit above my waist. I tried it this morning and my hair shrank all the way to APL. Just wonder if after a certain length is impossible for you to finish wrapping the hair in the back.

mermaid-nina
February 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Has anyone with really long hair tried this? My hair is little bit above my waist. I tried it this morning and my hair shrank all the way to APL. Just wonder if after a certain length is impossible for you to finish wrapping the hair in the back.

Mine is not quite as long as yours, I struggled a bit with the last few wraps but I think that might have been partly down to it being my first time, and partly because I used a skinny band - I was running out of space. I have seen somewhere (sorry I can't give you the site) where someone used two bands and did two spererate rows of wrapping which might help with getting it all on if you prefer the smaller curls.

pixietail
February 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I tried this. Left the thing in all day, and took it out in the evening. It worked great - lovely, thick, bouncy curls. The only thing is, in order for the ringlets to stay, I cannot touch my hair at all. I ran my fingers gently, through individual ringlets, to smooth out a few tangles and adjust them slightly. The whole thing immediately went from a profusion of curls to two, big, fat ringlets on either side of my head. I'd be really interested to hear how other people managed to untangle their hair post curling?

mermaid-nina
February 8th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I ran my fingers through with serum and it held up really well - even through a snowball fight :) But my hair does have a tendancy towards the curlier end of the scale compared with yours. I think I may have combed it too with an afro comb

rock007junkie
February 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Mine is not quite as long as yours, I struggled a bit with the last few wraps but I think that might have been partly down to it being my first time, and partly because I used a skinny band - I was running out of space. I have seen somewhere (sorry I can't give you the site) where someone used two bands and did two spererate rows of wrapping which might help with getting it all on if you prefer the smaller curls.

That's a really great idea.

Oksana
February 13th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Bumping this thread as I have replaced the photos that stopped working :)

rock007junkie
February 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM
This headband style has replaced by nightly braid. I have been using this style all week and I love it. It only takes me about 5 minutes to set my hair at night and in the morning I wake up with beautiful curls. This is my new go to style. I am officially in love. I would love to thank whoever came up with this idea. It has saved me a lot of time and my hair is always looking fab :-)

Oksana
February 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
This headband style has replaced by nightly braid. I have been using this style all week and I love it. It only takes me about 5 minutes to set my hair at night and in the morning I wake up with beautiful curls. This is my new go to style. I am officially in love. I would love to thank whoever came up with this idea. It has saved me a lot of time and my hair is always looking fab :-)

I completely agree :) It is also comfortable to sleep on which is such a bonus!

mermaid-nina
February 13th, 2012, 12:20 PM
They are gorgeous curls Oksana!! I will be trying your way tomorrow :)

I did the youtube way again on Saturday straight after my hair wash, left in all day and all night and when I took them out Sunday morning I had mental hair :(
Too long, too wet, too tight I think - I looked like a poodle having a bad hair day

Oksana
February 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
They are gorgeous curls Oksana!! I will be trying your way tomorrow :)

I did the youtube way again on Saturday straight after my hair wash, left in all day and all night and when I took them out Sunday morning I had mental hair :(
Too long, too wet, too tight I think - I looked like a poodle having a bad hair day

Good Luck :) I find it best to do it on dry hair or ever so slightly damp hair. Also you may not need to leave it in that long. I normally un-wind one side after a couple of hours to see how its doing and often it is time to take it out. If I am leaving it over night I don't wind the hair as tight or close.

proo
February 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Like someone else mentioned, the headband wants to slip back off my head eventually.
Suggestions?

rock007junkie
March 23rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
I'm having a little issue now, what to see if any of you also have it....lately one side comes out really curly and the other side a little less curly-more wavy. Does this happen to any of you?
What might I be doing wrong?

Oksana
March 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I'm having a little issue now, what to see if any of you also have it....lately one side comes out really curly and the other side a little less curly-more wavy. Does this happen to any of you?

This happens to me occasionally, i don't know why :shrug: it's normally the side that I do last. If I have time I unwrap, do it again but wrapping the looser side round first and leave it for an hour to even up.

I wonder whether wrapping round to the back and then wrapping the length over on both sides would give a more even effect? Does that make sense? Might try it tonight...

I have been playing around this last week with putting the headband on normally rather than like a crown. It has been working well and stops the kink that you can get on the back of the head. When I have perfected it i will post pictures :)

unknown
March 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM

That happened to me as well, I think it's because the hair is being wrapped over the other half of hair. I solved this by using 2 headbands and wrapping each half separately. Plus it's easier to take out in the morning!

rock007junkie
March 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
That happened to me as well, I think it's because the hair is being wrapped over the other half of hair. I solved this by using 2 headbands and wrapping each half separately. Plus it's easier to take out in the morning!

I would love to see a picture of this if it's at all possible.

unknown
March 25th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I'm sorry, but my camera broke :(

It's simple though, once you finished wrapping your hair normally you take a new headband and put it beneath the other one and keep wrapping the rest of the hair...

1nuitblanche
August 28th, 2012, 06:29 AM
These are pretty curls! I will have to remember this (and get a headband).

Arya
August 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Ok, trying a jury-rigged version! I don't have any headbands, so I took a stretchy dress sash/tie thing, and I'm using that.
But um, did anyone with hip length/longer have issues with STILL too much hair? I wrapped mine all the way around and still ended up with too much hair left over! I did it again and made more sections, but it didn't help a whole lot.

We'll see how it goes! *crosses fingers*