PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a past dreadhead!

Rilig
December 7th, 2011, 07:27 AM
So I've been waiting for my account to be moderated, and it finally has! Yay!

Anyway, here's my hair story: I've had medium-long hair all of my life, at about my shoulder blades. My mom has a beautician's licence, so she has always cut my hair. My hair was frizzy, bland, and wavy during middle and high school. My mom never really liked my hair (''Curly or straight! Pick one!''), and tried perming it and chemically straightening it in middle school. She tried to get me to use products, but I never liked them.
Finally, in August of 2010, I got my friend, Kitty, to backcomb my hair and give me dreadlocks. I was away at college for the next year, so it was as good a time as any to try something new. I kept them for nearly 1.5 years, but then in Early November, my mom and I decided to comb them out. They just weren't my thing. It took most of the month, but my hair is now loose. Surprisingly, though, after being confined in dreads for so long, my hair is curly now. :confused: I like it, and my hair is in nice condition from the natural hair care I used while I had dreads. (But it gets poofy if I use a hairdryer. Don't like the thing anyway :bigtongue: )

tl;dr - bland, wavy, frizzy hair + dreads and natural hair care - dreads = curly, awesome hair!

I found LHC when I was looking for tips on combing out my dreadlocks, although the post I found was unrelated. I lurked, but now I'm actually here!

amylou
December 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I also have a hair stylist in the family who had a huge influence on my hair for too long. I'm glad I stopped letting her touch my hair. Welcome.

jujube
December 7th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Welcome! I am a former dreadhead too. My hair is still wavy though.

SunShinesOnWint
December 7th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hello :)

I always wanted to know something..What do dreads feel like? There was a women with dreads in the store a few months ago, and I wanted to ask if I could feel the texture of it, but I really do not like when people ask to touch my hair so I didn't...

SpinDance
December 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Rilig
December 7th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hello :)

I always wanted to know something..What do dreads feel like? There was a women with dreads in the store a few months ago, and I wanted to ask if I could feel the texture of it, but I really do not like when people ask to touch my hair so I didn't...

I'd say they feel like a sweater, but scratchy. Not a bad feeling, though.

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

DreadfulWoman
December 8th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi there. :waving: Welcome to the LHC. I just combed out dreadlocks as well. Good luck with your new loose hair. :)

Rilig
December 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hi there. :waving: Welcome to the LHC. I just combed out dreadlocks as well. Good luck with your new loose hair. :)

How'd your ends turn out? Damaged, or no?
Also, did you have this issue: I soaked my hair in conditioner, washed it out, and washed my hair with condition during combing. As I combed out a dread, there would be dried condition coming out with the shed hair. Nasty, flaky gunk?

DreadfulWoman
December 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
How'd your ends turn out? Damaged, or no?
Also, did you have this issue: I soaked my hair in conditioner, washed it out, and washed my hair with condition during combing. As I combed out a dread, there would be dried condition coming out with the shed hair. Nasty, flaky gunk?

My hair was dry with lots of splits, but not a lot of damage otherwise. I have slowly been cutting out all the split ends since, and damp bunning has helped a lot with the dryness.

I did encounter the conditioner issue once early on and then stopped using it while I brushed them out. I couldn't handle the gunk.