PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper article on Chinese woman with 8ft hair

infinity_girl
December 7th, 2011, 06:46 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2070778/Ni-Linmei-Chinese-mother-grows-hair-8ft--thats-longer-is.html

Cjatje
December 7th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Nice... But the commente though...

Jesabel
December 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM
"Comb the monstrosity"
"sell of her locks for hair extensions"

Clearly the authors of this article don't favour long hair!

Fairlight63
December 7th, 2011, 07:06 AM
WOW & her hair is so thick too! Mine could never get that long - or maybe I would have 1 hair that long, haha

irishlady
December 7th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Some of the comments by the author and under the article are ridiculous.
I think her hair is very pretty, just as it is.

Nae
December 7th, 2011, 07:23 AM
"Comb the monstrosity"
"sell of her locks for hair extensions"

Clearly the authors of this article don't favour long hair!

Sometimes I think that when people see something so different from their cultural norm that their brain freezes and the only thing they can think of is how this unfamilar thing they are experiencing can more readily fit into the parameters that are already drawn for them by their culture.

Therefore we get comments like this where they are distancing themselves from the item in question, "comb the monstrosity." This signals that they don't think it is normal. And you have "sell the locks for hair extensions" because that fits more into the cultural norm.

I am not suprised at all by the tone of the article, but they can't call it unbiased reporting though. That is for sure. :rolleyes:

Jesabel
December 7th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I understand people can get shocked when they see something so far from the norm but surely when writing an article you'd think the author would keep such strong words like "monstrosity" out :o Sure, they don't have to love it but saying negative things about anybodies hair if they seem to like it so much is pretty mean :( oh well.

Oh and that woman must be blessed with awesome genetics to even be able to grow her hair that long, wow!

almond
December 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I think she has beautiful hair and looks like she takes good care of it.
I wish I hadn't read the article and some of the comments though.
At least the article writer could have shown some respect, and if this lady likes her hair that way it's none of anyone else's business :shake:

Cjatje
December 7th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I just saw a youtube film of her, walking with a braid on the street, and she just lets it brush on the pavement...

Madora
December 7th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks for sharing, infinity girl. I wish my "monstrosity" was that long!

Freckled.Thing
December 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Oh, I made the mistake of reading the comments. One person said that long hair like hers only looks nice if it's flat ironed, and that she needs to trim off about 5 feet and flat iron it.

I'm glad it was posted here where more people can appreciate it though. I think it's lovely. :D

Xandergrammy
December 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks for sharing, infinity girl. I wish my "monstrosity" was that long!

Me too, Madora! :gabigrin:

Amber_Maiden
December 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Wow! she has beautiful hair!

some of those comments though... grrrrrr....

newbeginning
December 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Her hair is beautiful. What's with the stupid comments?

jujube
December 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Oh, I made the mistake of reading the comments. One person said that long hair like hers only looks nice if it's flat ironed, and that she needs to trim off about 5 feet and flat iron it.

I'm glad it was posted here where more people can appreciate it though. I think it's lovely. :D

I cringed at the exact same comment, and then just stopped reading.

moxamoll
December 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Maybe we should find a way to send a message of admiration and support on behalf of the TLHC? If she's smart, she's ignoring the comments, but geez - something like that deserves some positive reaction!!!

airmid
December 7th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I cringed at the exact same comment, and then just stopped reading.

Hahahahaha! Same here! :)
I don't understand why people have to be so mean and judgmental. I thought it was beautiful, and she looked so happy. :)

Amazinggrace
December 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Wow, her hair looks so healthy! That is amazing the ends are nice if she lets it drag on the floor.

Liene
December 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Wow! That is some hair!

And: Wow, those are some insensitive comments :rolleyes:

beccababesx
December 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Can I just point out that this is the daily mail, I advise for your mental health that you avoid the comments at all costs, unless you are a white (not a gypsy), british born, middle class, Tory bigot, you will be absolutely furious at the idiocy in those comments haha.

Georgies
December 7th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Maybe we should find a way to send a message of admiration and support on behalf of the TLHC? If she's smart, she's ignoring the comments, but geez - something like that deserves some positive reaction!!!

that's a nice idea. maybe she'd join. or maybe she's already on here!

swearnsue
December 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
The lady with the long hair looks so happy in the pictures too! The comments were made by Long Hair Aphobics!

Carissamarie08
December 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM
wow! way to long for my liking, does look real healthy though.

ericthegreat
December 8th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Can I just point out that this is the daily mail, I advise for your mental health that you avoid the comments at all costs, unless you are a white (not a gypsy), british born, middle class, Tory bigot, you will be absolutely furious at the idiocy in those comments haha.

Thanks for the heads up beccababes. I stopped reading right after they called her glorious hair a "monstrosity". What a bunch of disgusting, arrogant pricks whoever wrote and approved this article! :hatchet:

spidermom
December 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I would bet that she doesn't let it drag the ground in every day life but only for a picture.

I don't think I would enjoy my hair that long, but more power to her. She looks very happy with it.

pepperminttea
December 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Beautiful hair, but the comments... :brickwall

God forbid a person have something different about them. :rolleyes: