PDA

View Full Version : Deep oilings really work!

linnepinne
December 7th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to state something that might be obvious to some of you: But deep oilings really work!

I had my hair trimmed at a salon about a month ago. Just a small one (the stylist really listened to me), and afterwards I realized that I had not gotten rid of all of the damage I needed. Which I was fine with at first (just thought I would have to get another trim a bit sooner than I had planned), but after a few days I could really feel how dry and tangly my hair was and I felt like my trim had had no effect at all. And that I ripped and destroyed my hair every time I had to untangle (which was often).

Feeling kind of desperate, I started oiling my hair again. For some reason I had stopped; maybe because I wasn't sure if it ha any positive effects on my hair, and since my scalp is kind of oily to begin with, it felt like kind of a hassle.

I've been doing deep oilings every night before washing day (2-3 times per week) by drenching my hair in olive oil, braiding it and then go to sleep, and in the morning I've lightly oiled my hair after washing (but not every time). I've been doing this now for about 2-3 weeks.

And it has made has made a HUGE improvement on my tangles! :joy: It's like my hair is newly trimmed! It's much more glossy, silky and it feels moisturized.

I have no idea how this works (from what I've read it's only coconut oil that can penetrate the hair shaft? Please correct me if I'm wrong), all I know is that it HAS worked for me. And I just want to let everyone who feels discouraged about their hair know that this might be the solution.

Happy growing! :blossom:

Amber_Maiden
December 7th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I'm so happy it working for you! I also recently started oiling again, with avocado oil, and it has helped my hair so much!!! It keeps getting better and better by the day. I'm excited to see what it will look like in a month!!!

Congrats again!

Jesabel
December 7th, 2011, 06:29 AM
That sounds so good! :) I love olive oil, especially mixed with coconut oil. I've also brought avocado oil recently and that seems really great, too :)

coffinhert
December 7th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I've been using castor/coconut oil lately, but I remember the first oiling I ever did was with olive oil and it just totally amazed me how SHINY and SOFT my hair became! You just might inspire me to use some olive again.

Mairéad
December 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I've been a faithful oiler even before LHC. 3 months since my last trim and my ends still feel freshly cut. I use coconut on my length. A tiny bit each night before bed and a nice dollop the nights before washes. I also use a castor/coconut/rosemary mix for my scalp before washes.

hs_atreides
December 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I agree! I use coconut oil and was so amazed at how lovely my hair felt after a few deep oilings. I haven't been using it as much recently but I think it's time to get back on track.
Thanks for sharing :)

chrystalevonne
December 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
i hate the idea of sleeping with the oil and then getting it all over my bed and pillow. any advice on how to keep that from happening? I have tried covering my pillow with a towel but it just ends up on the floor by morning time, lol.

linnepinne
December 7th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm extremely pleased if my post inspires any of you :) I sometimes need to be reminded myself of some of these "LHC-basics" and rediscover them, because people do them for a reason (even though not everything works for everyone).

crystalevonne: Well, I'm not really bothered by getting the oil on my pillow or in my bed, so I never really thought about it. I do apply a generous amount of oil, but not to the point where it drips or leave any big stains.

But I think sleeping with your hair in a bun or braids helps alot. And maybe you could get a sleep cap? Or maybe some cheapo pillow cases which you use only on oil nights and then wash straight afterwards?

jojo
December 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
i love deep oilings EVOO is my favorite but tonight I am going to do a mustard seed oiling as it makes my hair very soft, plus my arthritis in my hands very painful today and it helps with this too!

Lianna
December 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Coconut, olive and avocado oil can penetrate hair.

RachieBaby
December 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I love doing deep oilings with a mixture of EVOO and Sweet Almond Oil. My hair is so soft and shiny for days afterwards! I normally do them once every 2 weeks.

I normally only leave it in for an hour or 2 :) Not worked up the courage to sleeping with it in all night yet haha!

Cjatje
December 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Does almond oi penetrate the hair?

ktani
December 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Coconut oil can penetrate hair deeply depending on how it is used. Olive and avocado oils, not so much no matter how they are used. They are more surface conditioning oils and can penetrate hair only partially, compared to coconut oil.

vanillabones
December 8th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but could anyone tell me if it is true that coconut oil can make your dye fade? I don't dye my hair and am growing out virgin but I get hair a glaze once a year to try and save my bleached ends that I'm cutting off slowly and the hair glaze is tinted and only lasts maybe a month or two but will it make it fade faster if I do a deep treatment with coconut oil before I wash today? I don't want to make it fade.

ktani
December 8th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but could anyone tell me if it is true that coconut oil can make your dye fade? I don't dye my hair and am growing out virgin but I get hair a glaze once a year to try and save my bleached ends that I'm cutting off slowly and the hair glaze is tinted and only lasts maybe a month or two but will it make it fade faster if I do a deep treatment with coconut oil before I wash today? I don't want to make it fade.

It should not. There are reasons for dye fade, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1892797&postcount=6 and oil is not one of them, used outside of a lightening treatment. See the link and links within.

ETA: Ok, too many links in all, lol. See this http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-color-explored.html

vanillabones
December 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Wonderful! Thank you :) I will use it freely then, ha!

ktani
December 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Wonderful! Thank you :) I will use it freely then, ha!

You are very welcome.

UP Lisa
December 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I believe I have read that hot oil treatments do remove color.

It should not. There are reasons for dye fade, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1892797&postcount=6 and oil is not one of them, used outside of a lightening treatment. See the link and links within.

ETA: Ok, too many links in all, lol. See this http://www.pgbeautygroomingscience.com/hair-color-explored.html

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Yes they do. I had and still have damages from a perm. I'm oiling everyday and my damage has greatly been reduced. I do a mixture I created but it works. I do mine all day.

pepperminttea
December 9th, 2011, 12:57 PM
It's not just coconut oil that penetrates, info here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971). :) Glad it's working for you!

Celebrian
December 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Coconut oil can penetrate hair deeply depending on how it is used. Olive and avocado oils, not so much no matter how they are used. They are more surface conditioning oils and can penetrate hair only partially, compared to coconut oil.

Interesting. This has been exactly my experience, that Olive Oil went just so far - but that the Coconut is what has really suprised me with its ability to moisturise my hair: so much so, that my hair is like child hair atm, and a bit TOO moist,silky and floppy. You don't need much for a 'leave-in' for sure. Pre-shampoo, well that's different BUT I still find it quite hard to get the oil out even with several lathers! Very pleased otherwise. :D