PDA

View Full Version : Ball tips?

Cjatje
December 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Hi, I'm still quite new here, and I have read some thimes tht people don't use ball tip brushes?
What's wrong with them? I use them every day:(

coffinhert
December 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I think people just prefer wood combs because they can be totally seamless and not catch the hairs, and boar bristle brushes because they are made of hair and are perfect for distributing oils (your own, or added coconut etc) along the hair shaft. If your brush is working for you, and you aren't having split ends or breakage, then no problem.

BlazingHeart
December 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Ball-tipped brushes are more prone to snagging hairs, which leads to more breakage. Smooth/straight bristles are much better. I love my brush with straight wooden bristles. I didn't think there was anything wrong with my old ball-tipped brush or that it was doing any damage until I switched. I can hear the difference, because the squishy rubber pad at the base amplifies it - much fewer pops and crackles now.

~Blaze

Madora
December 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Ball tipped brushes will rip your hair. Avoid them like the plague. Use a wide tooth comb for detangling (finger combing before detangling usually makes the detangling process more pleasant).

If you're in search of a brush (and not a curly) then I recommend a pure (no plastic) boar bristle brush. Please keep in mind that all bbbs are different..some have stiff bristles, others have softer bristles. Higher end brushes (Kent of London) feature bristles that are longer.

jojo
December 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Ball tip brushes as everyone else has said are not kind to hair, the balls catch on hair and rip it. My hair has grown much better since I stopped using these 4 years ago. I also highly recommend BBB. I have a Mason Pearson which I love. If you dont fancy a BBB then get yourself a wide comb, body shop does a nice one!

Amber_Maiden
December 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Exactly what everyone else has said- they snag your hair.

Teufelchen
December 7th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have one and use it for styling only, it is seamless, but I would never detangle with it. As my hair is perfectly detangles before styling anyway it does no harm. I have one with straight bristles, but for styling I reach for the one with ball ends.

Teufelchen
December 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have one and use it for styling only, it is seamless, but I would never detangle with it. As my hair is perfectly detangles before styling anyway it does no harm. I have one with straight bristles, but for styling I reach for the one with ball ends.

Miss Catrina
December 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I think if it was a good quality ball tip brush, there wouldn't be much of a problem. It's if the balls come loose that you start to have a problem.

If it were pulling/ripping your hair, you would feel it - so don't run out and buy a new brush just because. :p

Cjatje
December 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I don't feel ny ripping nor pulling... Must say that modt of the plastic covers of the brush are gone...

Maybe I'm lucky I have very sleek and easy to get tru hair...

Teufelchen
December 9th, 2011, 12:39 AM
My ball tips can't come off, they are one piece with the bristle.
I have this one. (http://www.friseurbedarf-schulze.de/media/images/popup/7000206-Comair-Buerste-MasterBrusheckig.jpg)

If your stats are correct, I doesn't make me wonder, 1a hair is usually fine with them. :)

piffyanne
December 9th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Sorry if someone above has already said this, but there's been mention of using boar bristle brushes, but not HOW to use them. From what I've read (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have one yet, but want to help anyway!), you don't push it very far into the hair (don't make the bristles poke through the other side) you're brushing, but glide the bristles over the top.

I'm sure there are whole forums about it on the LHC, and they should be easy to find, but I wanted to throw this in before you went dashing off to use it. :)

PrincessBob
December 9th, 2011, 01:56 AM
About ball bristled brushes. As others have repeated, when detangling (if you are using your brush to detangle and not just style, or slick) the balls are prone to snagging on tangles and forcing knots apart by ripping, rather than untwisting/detangling hair. I swore by a paddle brush with balled tips, until, I began using other devices such as wide toothed combs and the tangle teezer.
I cannot go back to using the paddle brush because my tender scalp has been pampered, and now I notice the difference in what the ball brush did to my hair, versus my new routine. Now, my hair is inches and inches more in growth than ever before. my growth rate is way up because I have less splits ant fewer tiny pieces breaking off my hair.
HOWEVER, if it isn't impeding you and your length and ends are happy and healthy, don't worry too much about it. Don't try to go whole hog right away. save up, buy one ball-free brush or comb. transition into using it. stick to using both for a while and try to transition over to a new routine incorporating less use of the ball-tipped brush. if it works out well, huzzah. If it doesn't, trade the new thing away on the swap board and consider another method down the line. I do not mean you should go buy a TT and a horn comb and a detangling rake. ease into it, try things out and compare your own results.

UP Lisa
December 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
The first time I ever tried one of these, I knew I couldn't use them. Why did they ever even start making them?

PlainLight
December 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I never liked ball tip brushes or wide combs as a child. Both were very painful and constantly snagged in my hair. For most of my life I've used a bristle brush, which I've found to be far more gentle on my hair.